Tony B.

What is best in life?

herc.jpg

But it feels so right!

Look at that picture. Just look at it. Know what he's thinking about there? Cock. Lots and lots of men's cocks. And probably also their bums, and quite likely pretty shoes too. That man right there is a friend of Dorothy. He's light on his feet. He knows his musicals. He... yeah, I'll stop.

It would be justice of a sort if you were correct, Tom C*, sadly I am sure you are not.

He was quite well known here in NZ, and it wasn't for shirt lifting mate. thats the sort of thing that would be EXACTLY to the taste of all the scandel sheets here, and also the average tolerant bigotry of the Kiwi male, we likes to KNOW who we are condesending to allow to practice their grubby habits, in this neck of the woods.

I seriously doubt it would be possible for any famous person from overseas to be here, and keep his homosexuality undisclosed.

No, what he is/was thinking was " The men in this country are so RUNTY, why, I bet I could sleep with all their sisters, aye, AND their mothers too". And the girls standing in adoring heaps nod their heads.

;)

* the warped sort of justice that us stunted runts dream of, or the luscious justice that the "Heros" might dream of, I don't know which. :p

herc.jpg

"Sigh. I just wish, for all my muscles and hairy chest, I could grow a manly beard like TomC. Boo hoo!"

I thought it was Xena who was supposed to be bent, not Hercules?

Yeah, the sheer "macho"ness of the movie is a good way to describe it.

That's the exact thing that turned me off.

But I thought you were a fan of the original books/some of the comics? There is no incarnation of Conan that I know of which depicts him as metrosexual.

No, not metrosexual, but the noble savage.

I always liked how Conan is this barbarian. Living in the wilderness. Travelling from city to city, finding work wherever he can. Taking riches when he can't find work.

Yet here he is judging the rich people and the people in the city for being less than animals.

A very damning judgment on civilization as a whole (and perhaps one could read especially Capitalist society, even though he wasn't living in a Capitalist time-period).

I also liked (shown moreso in the Marvel comics I think) how Conan was always a soft touch for women. He trusted them too much and always got involved with the wrong women (outside of Belit) and ended up getting stabbed in his heart.

The mournful, sad part of being a barbarian.

And I like big neat monsters! Big neat monsters are always good!

No, not metrosexual, but the noble savage.

I always liked how Conan is this barbarian. Living in the wilderness. Travelling from city to city, finding work wherever he can. Taking riches when he can't find work.

Yet here he is judging the rich people and the people in the city for being less than animals.

A very damning judgment on civilization as a whole (and perhaps one could read especially Capitalist society, even though he wasn't living in a Capitalist time-period).

I also liked (shown moreso in the Marvel comics I think) how Conan was always a soft touch for women. He trusted them too much and always got involved with the wrong women (outside of Belit) and ended up getting stabbed in his heart.

The mournful, sad part of being a barbarian.

And I like big neat monsters! Big neat monsters are always good!

Well, all right. But I don't remember reading any Conan books or comics where he wasnt portrayed as macho. So I don't see how the film can be objectionable to a fan of the original material. But then again, I havent read that much Conan, so who knows.

It's not that it was a horrible translation of the original stories. There's certainly a lot of "macho"ness inherent in Howard's work (I wonder why?! heh). But, just the elements that I love reading the Conan stories or comics was missing from the film, and I realize what I enjoy most out of Conan stories isn't really what most readers are expecting from Conan.

And who can live without lots of big neat monsters?

Yeah, the sheer "macho"ness of the movie is a good way to describe it.

That's the exact thing that turned me off.

But I thought you were a fan of the original books/some of the comics? There is no incarnation of Conan that I know of which depicts him as metrosexual.

Have you not seen the early Barry Windsor Smith strips where he appears to have had his chest waxed, then?

I am probably the hairiest man alive. But I am also one of the manliest men that ever lived.

*completley loses it in face of manliness*

Evolution is good.

Running your fingers through a hairy chest = better.

:lol:

I have hairy legs and arms. My chest however isnt.

One of my friends once told me that he wanted to run naked through my field of chest hair.

Now this should have been in my birthday thread. :lol:

But, still....the movie sucked!

Some day, I shall destroy you for this.

And I shall incinerate whats left. All that is required is for Rogan to profane the remains.

I wish to assis on all thre fronts. Conan the Barbarian is an ACE movie. managed to drive my girlfriend up the wall by insisting the Conan soundtrack was on while driving through the rugged Norwegia mountainscapes :D

It's a pretty good film. It's hardly Hawk The Slayer though, is it?