Christian

The Eternal Thread

The Eternals by Neil Gaiman

6 issues.

This is the thread to discuss all things related to this series.

First, to get the bad out of the way, I've never liked John Romita Jr.'s art and don't understand the fuss about it. He makes everyone look hairy (at least to me it looks that way). I don't think his style really fits this book and I have flashbacks of reading Daredevil, Spider Man, Iron Man, or Hulk when I'm reading the book. His style just really sticks in my mind and bothers me.

Now, the good-This book seems to be made for Neil Gaiman! It certainly looks to be Neil's crowning jewel at Marvel, which isn't hard since 1602 was a mess. But, besides that fact, Eternals is really good so far. It's gripping. I'm hooked. And, more has happened in this one issue than happened in the first five issues of 1602, I do believe!

He's made me really interested in the Eternals.

Eternals? Awesome idea that no one will ever figure out what do with on paper. UNTIL Neil Gaiman.

It's been a long time since Neil has written anything for comics this promising too. Win/win for both parties here.

I was hesitant about this project, but it's all coming together wonderfully!

1st issue, origin issue, "They called you Osiris" (worth the money right there alone!), although there's more to the story than that. I love what Neil has decided to do with the Eternals. Read the book and find out.

Other thoughts:

Neil Gaiman has his own CD out too....He doesn't have anything to do with the music. It's assorted bands doing homage songs about Neil Gaiman. It's called "Where's Neil When You Need Him?" I say, apparently helping to keep Marvel alive!

I kid you not.

Bought the first issue but haven't read it yet. Very excited to do so.

Skimmed through it, the art is crap.

Bought the first issue but haven't read it yet. Very excited to do so.

Skimmed through it, the art is crap.

Dude, you know I loves ya, but I think you might have a wrongness in your brain.

I haven't read the whole issue yet, but I'm about half-way through, and the art is absolutely glorious. Channelling Kirby without imitating him - the perfect visual style for this project. I was sceptical about this book, since Gaiman's style doesn't really strike me as being a natural fit for Kirby-created characters/concepts, and 1602 was crap, but based on what I've read so far, it's a very promising first issue.

I've always liked JR Jr. I was doubtful of putting him on the Eternals, but I'm anxious to see it anyway.

Personally, I'd say it works far better than I would have imagined. I'm a huge fan of Kirby, but I find that there are very few superhero artists who manage to capture the essence of what made his work so brilliant. Romita Jr. is an excellent cartoonist, albeit not one whose work always appeals to me (I really didn't enjoy the art on his recent Wolverine run, for example), and he seems to have come up with a very effective way of fusing the vibrant energy and imagination of Kirby's visual sense with his own style for this book.

His style is far too distinctive and his characters far too similar looking.

If this were the first JR jr. I'd ever read, it'd be fine, but the whole time I'm reading a JR jr. book, I have flashbacks of other series I've read that he's worked on.

This doesn't happen to me with any other reader....and I think the reason is that I think his characters all look really hairy!

John Romita Jr has the same disorder that Steve Dillion has.

Same face, different haircut. All their characters have the same face but with different hair cuts.

Hmm - I don't know that that's entirely fair. He has a distinctive style, yes, and a tendency to rely on a few fairly similar face-shapes, but I can tell the difference between most of his characters pretty easily - and besides, like Dillon (only far more so, to my mind - I think Romita Jr. is a far better artist than Dillon, at least when it comes to superhero books), there are other strengths to his art which more than make up for that tendency. But then, comic art is a pretty subjective field - I can certainly relate to Christian's problem with JRjr, since I've felt exactly the same way about Dillon for a good few years now. I can see the quality of much of his work, but I find it difficult to actually enjoy, because over-exposure has left me heartily sick of his style.

Mind you, after reading the latest (shit) issue of Astonishing X-Men just before The Eternals, I'd far rather have some slightly interchangeable characters than characters whose faces change shape completely from one panel to the next, as seems to be the case with Cassaday's current work.

Romita Jr's capes are pretty good, I'll give him that. He doesnt suck, just that at times he can be confusing.

I'm a little bored with the whole 'oh by the way, didn't you know, you're a superhero ?' style story and didn't see much here to suggest that this will be much better than 1602.

The 3 pages of Civil War tosh was exactly what I feared we'd see in some of the 7S books during IC.

The art, however, is the business.

I'm a little bored with the whole 'oh by the way, didn't you know, you're a superhero ?' style story and didn't see much here to suggest that this will be much better than 1602.

The 3 pages of Civil War tosh was exactly what I feared we'd see in some of the 7S books during IC.

The art, however, is the business.

I agree on everything you said. However, it is only the first issue and I will give Gaiman at least 1 more issue to grab my interest better. I love Romita's art, he is in my eyes the closest thing to a modern day Jack Kirby.

On the most basic level Eternals reads like a Marvel Superhero version of American Gods.

A little thing that bothered me; Mr. Harris (Ikaris) is an immortal all powerful superhero type and he gets taken down by a sedative?!?! One would think something like this would not hurt him or at least just slow him down, but not knock him out.

...Unless Gaiman does some metafiction plot, where unless you know about your powers, you won't have access to those powers....

Like American Gods...That's exactly where I see the promise with Eternals. This isn't some superhero who doesn't realize he's a superhero. The Eternals aren't superheroes. They're beyond superheroes. They're a genetic off-shoot of humanity who humanity has mistaken for gods throughout history due to their being born with superhuman powers.

I didn't even mind the Civil War references here, as I think Gaiman has gotten more mileage out of that whole concept in a few panels than every other Civil War Marvel cross-over book put together!

The Eternals are Marvels rip-off of Highlander.

Eternals can sense each other. Be killed by decapitation, and other means. Exactly like the Immortals in Highlander.

Oh no, I like the fact it is very similar to American Gods. That is one of things that has interested me in this book. It was just an observation.

Well, I know absoluetely nothing on Eternals and the stories of previous, and I mosty just picked this up in knowing Gaiman's name and 1 of my comic shopper workers saying that mid-way, its pretty kool, so I picked it up. My best bud read it before me and he was really into it and slapped me to read it when I was basically asleep, lol, but I read it the following morning and enjoyed it greatly. Awesome start, and I was a fan of the art skimming through the book before I read it, but then I had gotten into it along with the story and can't really imagine it with a different artist.

I got to my local shop about an hour after they opened and they had sold out of all six of the copies they ordered. :icon_frown:

You don't order six copies of a Neil Gaiman comic! You order 100 copies of a Neil Gaiman comic! Because he's Neil Gaiman, and you never know when you're going to get people who only read New York Times' Best Sellest List Books storming down your door to get their copy of a Neil Gaiman comic book!

No....No....I kid and have no point here.

The Eternals are Marvels rip-off of Highlander.

Eternals can sense each other. Be killed by decapitation, and other means. Exactly like the Immortals in Highlander.

You mean they would have been if they hadn't been created over a decade before Highlander was made, right?

Anyway, I've read the issue properly now. Not bad stuff, but more than a little predictable, and the use of an "is he/isn't he?" motif for the central character was a bit of a dramatic non-starter when it's obvious from the very first page that yes, he's one of the Eternals, and no, the other guy isn't a mental. I won't feel ready to judge this one until I've read at least one more issue - if this issue constituted all of the character-establishment and setup, and the story begins in earnest next issue, then it was a pretty good, economical introductory chapter. If there's still plenty of setup to go, less so.

My initial "it's fucking awesome" impression of the art remains unaltered.

Anyway, I've read the issue properly now. Not bad stuff, but more than a little predictable, and the use of an "is he/isn't he?" motif for the central character was a bit of a dramatic non-starter when it's obvious from the very first page that yes, he's one of the Eternals, and no, the other guy isn't a mental. I won't feel ready to judge this one until I've read at least one more issue - if this issue constituted all of the character-establishment and setup, and the story begins in earnest next issue, then it was a pretty good, economical introductory chapter. If there's still plenty of setup to go, less so.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto.

:biggrin: Mark does all the work and we just ride in on his cosmic trail...

Entirely unrelated to the "is the art fucking awesome or does everyone look like clones" discussion: does anyone know if the "That's So Sprite!" thing was based on the show "That's So Raven!"? I'd never heard of the latter until today and have absolutely no intention of seeking it out to find out if they have the same catch-phrase, but the similarity in names struck me as too much to be coincidence.

(If anyone wonders: A friend of mine's email address somehow got attributed to a child actor by the name of Dylan Sprouse somewhere in the bowels of MySpace. While trying to find out who the heck that is I discovered that he'd guest-starred on the afore-mentioned show)

Oh, and I'm in the awesome camp for the art so far but it'll be at least one more issue before I decide if I'm going to stick with this one. I'm unfamiliar with the Eternals due to mostly avoiding Cape-centric books so the concept is new and intruiging to me, but I've yet to make the internal adjustments to allow billion-year-old god-figures to wear primary color spandex.

Gaiman said he'd touch on the primary colour spandex aspect of Kirby's creation (when they're not meant to be superheroes) as the series progresses.

I thought of "That's So Raven" too. Disney Channel show. Haven't seen enough of the show to know how similar it is to "That's So Sprite" though.

Eternals #2-Man, this series is overpriced!

Issue #1 was $3.99 (American) and double-sized.

Issue #2 is still $3.99, but is a regular sized comic book!

Come on, Marvel!

Neil Gaiman's writing style is odd in this book. He's usually not so self-aware of his own writing style. He's taking a more absurdist writing style, ala most of Steve Gerber's work (no, not saying Gaiman is doing it as well as Gerber, just in the same style). It's odd to see from Gaiman, and I'm not sure how well it's working for this series, which seems so grounded in reality so far.

The second issue didn't impress me. I still have hopes that this series will turn out good, but I'm no where near as optimistic as I was after reading #1.

That ending doesn't bode well, if that's going to be the main antagonism (don't want to spoil anything).

If this series ends up being bad, I am officially declaring The Eternals the worst comic book creation of all time.

No one will ever have done anything interesting with the concept, after repeated attempts.

Jack Kirby should have just outlined his concept in an essay and published that and we'd all be going, "Man! Remember Kirby's synopsis for that comic called The Eternals? Man, too bad he never actually did that series, because it would've been the coolest comic ever!"