Abhimanyu

2000 AD

dogpoet    487
Am I to assume that's got one of yours in?

Yep. Only story I ever sold to them, in fact.

Pooka    820
Weird, I've never even heard of Meltdown or Overkill.

The Overkills seem to be some kind of Marvel stuff.

dogpoet    487

Weird, I've never even heard of Meltdown or Overkill.

The Overkills seem to be some kind of Marvel stuff.

It was a Marvel UK attempt a 2000AD competitor using original strips rather than reprints which tanked, iirc.

JasonT    451

Bump.

Anyone reading 2000AD these days?

I just downloaded a few issues beginning with 1585 to see if I should start buying it again. So far, the answer is no. The writers include Pat Mills and John Smith, but even their stories are leaving me cold.

Even making allowances for the fact that I jumped into the stories mid-stream, I find it fairly hard to follow what's going on. Is the storytelling duff at the moment, or is it just me?

EDIT:

Here's a mysterious cameo appearance by John Constantine and Alan Moore from "The Ten Seconders" in issue 1586. Script by Rob Williams, art by Ben Oliver.

http://i36.tinypic.com/11h8215.jpg (129Kb)

Edited by JasonT

JasonT    451

So I'm up to 1591 (mid June this year) and it's a different kettle of fish. All of the stories reset with issue 1589 — ideal jumping on point, etc — and the new batch is pretty good. In fact, two of them are damn good. The current Judge Dredd storyline is absorbing, with beautifully judged cliffhangers, no less than you'd expect from a comic storytelling master like John Wagner. And Nikolai Dante, written by Robbie Morrison, is audacious satire. There's a Pat Mills story too, which has just started to get clever, although it was 2000AD-by-numbers for the first two parts. There's also a story illustrated by the great D'israeli, to make me even happier.

Sorry about the puns.

Christian    782

I enjoyed Ace Trucking Company.

I was sure I'd be in the minority, but I just couldn't get into Robo Hunter. I picked up the Quality series, an I just felt it was the weakest of the Quality line that I read.

You do have to take into consideration what else was coming from Quality at the same time. You had classic Judge Dredd (Wagner, Grant, and Mills), the original Slaine stories, Nemesis the Warlock, Strontium Dog....

It was one of the finest line-ups of any comic publisher.

Now, as for DeMatteis on Mister Miracle, now there was a funny series. It had a different quality of humour than the DeMatteis/Giffen JL stuff (not as explicitly humourous), but still very funny.

Maritimus    16

Ended up picking up Robo-Hunter "Day of the Droids" trade. Only a few pages in, the impressions so far : 1) the character and the premise seem familiar. What if Raymond Chandler wrote "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" . Not sure if that's good or bad. 2) I try to like Ian Gibson's art but honestly i'm not too keen on it. He draws the main character well enough, but his backgrounds are sketchy and his use of perspective pretty limited. The android language ("Ungrab me, I say") and humor mixed with broader themes make me want to keep reading. Thanks for all the pro/cons from you guys. Is there a 2000 AD thread out there? This got quite far away from Hellblazer, perhaps it needs its own space?

JasonT    451

My evil plan to gradually get you all reading 2000AD-related material is progressing nicely.

... the character and the premise seem familiar. What if Raymond Chandler wrote "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" . Not sure if that's good or bad.

That sort of basis was typical of early 2000AD strips, and still gets used today. By its nature 2000AD is about mashups, riffs on topical stuff (see also Alan Grant "doing" UFO abduction in a 90s Batman comic), and general high concept material.

When reading 2000AD bindups, it's worth remembering that the original would have appeared in weekly instalments of 3-4 pages in an anthology. So, for example, 'the one about Chandler writing P.K. Dick' would have been slipped in amongst half a dozen very different strips.

Christian    782

Chandler writing P.K. Dick'

Wasn't that the plot to a story by Paul Di Filippo? heh

Maritimus-I'm pretty sure there's a 2000 AD thread buried somewhere in the Comics section.

Maritimus    16

At least 2000 AD riffs off of the good stuff. Marvel rips off itself mostly. "What if... what if.. what if Wolverine fought Iron Man.. in Las Vegas!" "That's ounds like it could work.. always did before.. let's do it!" Whatever the reason, I find more fresh creative energy in 2000 AD stories from a quarter of a century ago than pretty much all of the recent stuff I've read in the mainstream , with a few exceptions. I hope your evil plan didn't aim to bring misery Jason, because I'm sure much happier with those reprints . Judge Dredd next I think.

I was puzzled to find the 2000 AD thread 9 pages into the archive, with the last comment almost 4 years ago. Buried is the right word :) Funny, I thought I would see a huge neon sign "2000 AD is awesome" somewhere closer to the top.

JasonT    451
There's been some brilliant work published in <i>2000AD</i>, but no era of the magazine which I've ever attempted to immerse myself in (and I've tried a few - an ex-flatmate had a near-complete collection going back to about 1982) has been above "patchy". Go for the trades, seek out specific issues if there's an uncollected story you're interested in (Grant Morrison's <i>Zenith</i> would be a good one to look out for, as I don't believe that's ever been traded in its entirety), but be prepared for a lot of shitty filler bulking out the worthwhile stories.

That was the state of it in 2006, for anyone who couldn't make out the fine print. :icon_wink: IMHO 2000AD has been on a creative high since around 2009. Unfortunately because it's a serial anthology, a single issue is unlikely to satisfy; if you're reading the individual progs you need to invest in a few to enjoy the cumulative effect. So the collections are still a great option.

Avaunt    284

Ever read any of the Progs, Slinker?.

I am back into them like there never was a 20 year halt to me reading.

Something I wanted to ask JasonT about was a throwaway line in one of the recent ones.

A young judge taxes Dredd that, after a recent mass outbreak of a sickness that seems to have had a sort of zombie effect, he made a horde of terminally ill citizens [ Spoiler : walk into Resyk ]

:ohmy:

That is notably cold even for the Master of the calculating cold choice between two evils for his city.

dogpoet    487

Who was that one by? The last zombie Dredd gag I recall had Resyk workers being issued shotguns in case any of the stiffs en route to recycling got up and felt a bit peckish (obviously a Garth Ennis conceit from twenty years back, but not a bad pendant to the-if we're honest a bit crap-Judgement Day story).

Just read the first volume of the Slaine: Books Of Invasions story myself on a 2000ADey note. Not a bad story, glorious art (why is Clint Langly not better known?) and it stops abruptly in mid plot. Clearly a return to the glory days of The Horned God, except Langly's Frazetta-meets-Kelley Jones schtick is if anything, even better than Bisley's work therein. (That said, I am one of these wrongheaded old farts who thinks that Glenn Fabry was the definitive Slaine artist, not Bisley...)

Avaunt    284

I liked Fabrys Slaine well enough, but didn't it seem just a trifle less "fantastic" a bit more everyday than Bisbys?. I am a product of my childhood of course, to me there is no Slaine like McMahons.

Thought to be honest, looking at a dozen examples of each side by side now, there isn't quite as much difference between Fabrys and Bisbys styles as I remember. ( Hmm. Where do the apostrophes go there in Fabrys and Bisbys? )

Always one of the things I fucking loved about 2000AD actually, page by page it was a sort of schooling in why comic art is so potent, with all the many styles. Some you might hate but then you turn a page and love the next.

The different styles Dredd has had over the years is a big part of the love I have for the comic. Once one of them gets the chin JUST RIGHT, to me, is a signal moment. =]

dogpoet    487

Why was it no bugger besides Ian Gibson could ever draw Sam Slade right?

slinker    893

you guys would love tumblr, I'm telling you - shit like that just pours down your feed all day long.