Abhimanyu

2000 AD

Avaunt    284

I push heem.

Robohunter was one of the first storys I got into in the Progs. A very English sense of humour, and such a product of its time, I think.

Reading some of the Dredd and Rouge Trooper stories now, I am staggered my mum used to buy the things for us. Of course, she used to read them too, avidly. =]

She was a pretty cool mum, for a boy. She could literally shoot straighter than anyone except my eldest brother and my dad. She could whistle louder than any of the boys in my school, to their utter astonishment, bigger lungs I guess, ;) . She used to bait her own fish-hooks, too, and clean her catch, no one elses mum did that.

Avaunt    284

Talking about excellent art, The new stories "Dandridge" and especially "Survival geeks" have some great art. I particularly like the amusing Survival Geeks story, it is very "meta", given that the Geeks have things like Dredd badges and helmets, along side the Starwars posters and DnD figurines in their rooms.

JasonT    451
Something I wanted to ask JasonT about was a throwaway line in one of the recent ones.

A young judge taxes Dredd that, after a recent mass outbreak of a sickness that seems to have had a sort of zombie effect, he made a horde of terminally ill citizens [ Spoiler : walk into Resyk ]

:ohmy:

That is notably cold even for the Master of the calculating cold choice between two evils for his city.

Sorry, I missed that post. I stopped reading for a year or so (work pressures, mainly, but just lost the taste), but continued to stockpile progs, and now I'm workin' my way through the pile. Up to 1792 or so as I type this: not quite a year behind.

Um... so what was the question, Tigger? :tongue: That event happened, yes; but in the progs I'm up to, the cadet hasn't spoken to Dredd about it yet.

Sadly the looong run of excellence stopped, IMHO. The last few progs, say from 1780-1792, have been weak — 'Cadet Anderson' and 'Durham Red' are phoned in, and 'Age Of The Wolf' doesn't do it for me. David Baillie's Future Shocks are head-shakingly shite.

John Wagner's Dredd epic 'Day Of Chaos' just finished (for me) -- Wagner is one of the best writers of comics, period.

Avaunt    284

Amen. His excellence for so many decades now ( Almost my whole fucking life, he has been cranking out cracking comic stories! ), is really something. "What do you do for a living , Dad?" "Form the childhood of generation after generation, Son". I wonder just how many stories he has written?. Thousands, I suspect.

• Upvote 1

JasonT    451

Have you read much of his older stuff, from Action and Valiant and the like? It's all masterclass material. I got a few scans of 'Blackjack', a boxing story, that I'm lovin'.

I'm up to 2000AD prog 1814 as I type this, and it's back on form. 1813 and 1814 were written 100% by Wagner, Ian Edginton and Pat Mills: total win. Lately they've been running a lot of Robbie Morrison and Rob Williams too.

I'd have been thrilled to see any of those guys get a shot at writing H*llbl*z*r. :sad:

Avaunt    284

Yep. I love that these old guys are still busting out rad comics just like they did 35 years ago, it is insane really.

• Upvote 1

JasonT    451

I've come to believe John Wagner is the Greatest Writer In The History Of Comics, or something.

Pat Mills is still as angry and progressive as ever. Some of his work is unsubtle, while some is deft and powerful: he doesn't always aim at the same target or write in the same voice. He could've brought back a politically-aware Constantine.

Avaunt    284

Fuck yes, I don't know why they didn't offer a few of them one shots, at least.

Anyway, I don't like to think about that Hellblazer comic, it gives me a pain in the chest.

Avaunt    284

Awesome McCarthy Dredd Art. How fucking good is this then?.

Been reading along through some cool and some average stories, up to Prog 1850 or something. They have a kind of Slaine story re-visit-up-date sort of thing, which I think is an attempt to somehow show young readers why Slaine was good or something, he is kind of going back in time AND through the plots of stories of 30 years ago . . . massive misjudgement, a fucking waste of time. It really made me sigh. If someone is already reading 2000 ad, then obviously they are up for a cool story of a arrogant pre-historic guy who sneers and settles discussions with axe-blows. Just WRITE THAT FUCKING STORY, and let people catch up or NOT catch up. FOR goodness sake ! don't go half way to pleasing everyone, you please no one that way.

JasonT    451

Yeah, true. I love Pat Mills' work but the last few Slaine stories have felt like misfires. At least 'Book of Scars' is illustrated by artists who can tell a story rather than just make a pretty panel.

Avaunt    284

I liked the idea of doing something like Book of Scars. We didn't see every battle he fought, right from his youth, did we. Also, people, normal people who don't serve gods/slaughter through eons/die and be re-born, but normal people who have diaries and binge-induced-short-term-memory loss etc, don't always tell all their stories to their friends, nor account for every moment of their time to their mum/wife/parole officer.

So we could very easily had a new/old Slaine story, or may stories, from his book of scars. "Eh, I never noticed before, but this scars actually on top of another scar" says Ukko. Cue Slaine boasting about some New battle of his youth. And torturing Ukko for being forgetful, of course.

Instead we had to sit through the same stories again.

JasonT    451
... At least 'Book of Scars' is illustrated by artists who can tell a story rather than just make a pretty panel.

In fairness, Clint Langley's black & white art for part 2 was jaw-dropping. F*cking epic, as I believe the kids say.

dogpoet    487

I always liked Langley as a storytelling artist. He was far from the worst offender over that whole "reams of pin up splash pages and a few connecting panels inked with a sharpie" thing that got really annoying with Slaine during the '90s.

Avaunt    284

I dislike intensely the sort of "poor-mans Photo Realism" period that Slaine went through, lurid faces leering away with garish colours never seen on living people, disjointed poses . . . And I have to say, putting Langley in the search engine is damning to the man, cause some of the colours and poses in images of his it bring up . . . though Bisley also offends. Most of the Slaine I like has been black and white, when I think of it.

Avaunt    284

What is that delicate phrase our Cousins Jonathan have given us?.

Fabry? FUCK YEAH ! You know what you are looking at, and it is astonishing the detail and depth he gets in his drawing. Real 2000 AD work, almost un-matched in the pages of the Prog, in fact.

dogpoet    487

It always puzzles me that Fabry is rather underrated as an artist. Given that his style is a mix of the best bits of Brian Bolland (clarity, detail, a remarkably refined line), Carlos Equezzerra (kinetics like frozen slivers of time, light and shadow) and Howard Chaykin (a strong sense of design, remarkably attractive women), you'd think the bugger would get more props. I suppose the fact that he's better known for Preacher covers than his storytelling artwork in the 'States doesn't help much.

On a different 2000ADey note, does anybody knows what's in this "Tooth Presents Sci Fi Thrillers" anthology? The bookseller websites are unenlightening about its contents, but looking at the cover Tribal Memories and The Visible Man might be in there...

JasonT    451

I hope it's not a collection of Future Shocks.

... I suppose the fact that he's better known for Preacher covers than his storytelling artwork in the 'States doesn't help much. ...

Yeah, think you're on the money there. When I think of Glenn Fabry the first thing that comes to mind is covers.

dogpoet    487

I wouldn't say no to a big collection of future shocks, to be honest. As far as I know, the only ones to be collectwed are the Alan Moore ones, but there's plentyt of hugely good ones by other writers. (Hell, they could fit all of the Neil Gaimans into0 a slim volume, put his name on the cover in big letters, and sell a few copies of that one.) It's a shame you only see the things as filler in the story collections if they've got a couple by the artist and writer who did the rest of the collection, imo.

Avaunt    284

I love the Absalom story in spite of its "ho hum, yes yes, heard that one before and it was juvenile and puerile the first time and doesn't improve as it is repeated" shtick of "the queen and royal family are all pedophile lizard-aliens" weakness.

The art in it is top notch, and the attitude of world weary copper with his trusty squad, while equally trite I suppose, is handled with a sort of brutal panache in this case. I especially enjoy the detail of the characters faces, and the old blokes wrinkles lovingly detailed warts and all. It must take an age to draw.

I also liked the Stickleback story ( Though the art work left a bit to be desired, too often unclear what was being portrayed ) till they spoilt it by revealing him as only being a front for . . . well rather the obvious person. How cliched 2000 ad gets at times.

Christian    782

How many did Gaiman actually do though? I thought he only had a small handful. Considering the size of the average Future Shock strip, I'm guessing Gaiman's "Trade" would be about 30 pages or less. Maybe they could do a prestige-format edition of Gaiman's, but I highly doubt there was enough to make up a full TPB. Maybe they could combine some big names, and release a Vertigo-classics edition, with Gaiman, Delano, Morrison, and Milligan. I'd guess the bulk of that collection would be Milligan though, as Delano and Morrison probably wrote even less than Gaiman.

EDIT:Whoa! That's weird. I saw there was a new post in this thread, and clicked on it. Dog's post was the last one to show up until after I posted my reply. Now, I see that Dog's post was from two years ago, and there's another post after that one. I wasn't trying to dredge up a conversation from two years ago, which I must have missed. I thought Dog's message was a new message.

dogpoet    487

No probs, Christian.

(And there's plenty of alleged GNs of thirty pages or less, which would be necessary as several of Gaiman's Future Shocks were very short. On the other hand, his strip for Revolver would be another ten pages or so, and a Gaiman-ey collection could be further padded out with the text stories he had in annuals. The reason for collecting the Gaiman strips though is that -as I've said before- a couple were dry runs for stories he later on did at greater length in the Sandman. They should be very intriguing to the completists.

(I could be misremembering, but I remember Morrison writing a lot of Future Shocks and other one offs, though several of these have already been collected. I'm not sure that Delano even wrote as many as Gaiman.)

On a more recent Toothy note, I'm waiting on a couple of collections of the more recent ABC warriors stories at the moment, though I probably should have started with the Solo Missions collection, which I think has the whole Deadlock serial which somebody forgot to put in the complete Nemesis collections...

Maritimus    16

You guys will be happy to know about All Star Future Shocks - it collects a bunch of Morrison, Milligan, Gaiman etc stories - its pretty great!

• Upvote 2