Abhimanyu

2000 AD

I love the Absalom story in spite of its "ho hum, yes yes, heard that one before and it was juvenile and puerile the first time and doesn't improve as it is repeated" shtick of "the queen and royal family are all pedophile lizard-aliens" weakness.

Never read this but no I definitely won't.

Cause this shit insults me and is old hat.

A Carlos Ezquerra colouring book? I'd have loved that thirty five years ago and can't say I'm not tempted now...

The Judge Dredd Megazine is serialising a French WWII graphic novel, "under the new ‘Battle presents…’ banner, reviving the name of one of the greatest comic books in UK publishing history." :boogie:

https://2000ad.com/post/4814

“I am really looking forward to bringing Operation: Overlord to an Anglophone audience for the first time. The series has been hugely popular in France, with each book focusing on a different event of the D-Day landings, for instance there is a whole 48 page issue dedicated to the Omaha Beach assault by Easy Company. And the whole series has been drawn by Davide Fabbri, who comic readers will know from his Star Wars comics for Dark Horse, and more recently his Hellblazer run at DC Comics.”

I spent half-an-hour scrolling through old Battle covers on Comics Vine after reading your post last night Jason, thanks!

In related news, Invasion 1984 is being reprinted in May!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

In related news, Invasion 1984 is being reprinted in May!

I wonder if that means somebody at Rebellion has decided that the time has come to start reprinting a load of comics drawn by Eric Bradbury, the way they did with Massimo Bellardinelli a while back?

On 12/12/2018 at 7:14 AM, JasonT said:

Anyone who fancies some fresh Leonardo Manco art should keep an eye on 2000AD in 2019:

48051616_10155998400048603_6470548564215

Here's a little more Leo Manco art for 2000AD:

6184921d-2462-4d20-b755-ee1d76ceb4c6.jpg

Oh I'm in for some of that.

Into the second Slaine trade, Pat Mills must feel blessed to have worked with so many great artists - his writing, of course, is fantastic with that familiar anger and grim humour towards social injustice that his name is synonymous with.

• Upvote 1

Is the second trade the one with the first Glenn Fabry and David Pugh art? It's pretty appalling the way that stuff and the wonderful Massimo Bellardinelli art in the first collection was out and out ignored for over a decade.

That's the one, collects Dragonheist and Time Killers.  Their work throughout is fantastic, Mills talks in glowing terms about the early Slaine artists in his intro to the first collection.

On 4/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, JohnMcMahon said:

That's the one, collects Dragonheist and Time Killers.  Their work throughout is fantastic, Mills talks in glowing terms about the early Slaine artists in his intro to the first collection.

I do like that. It's just a shame he wasn't talking about that magnificent art Massimo Bellardinelli did for the early Slaine stories back when Titan were skipping from the first episode to  Mike McMahon's stories and then ignoring everybody else until Glenn Fabry's third story. Maybe he felt he needed to big up the artists who were actually being reprinted at the time. (It's not inconceivable that he might have had to butt heads to get that first episode into the otherwise all McMahon collection.) I appreciate that Mills didn't have any say in what Titan collected, and he does complain about that in the Rebellion collections you're working through, but he didn't have much to say about that at the time he was writing introductions for Slaine Book One and Slaine The King as Titan published them in the '80s, so his posthumous praise for Bellardinelli thirty odd years later looks a bit belated.

It's unfair to take Mills to task for that, but it does seem a crying shame that we never saw any of this talk about Bellardinelli back when was still around to hear it...

Which isn't to be sniffed at, even if it would have been nice if it had happened a lot sooner. I suspect that at least one of the reprint editors at Rebellion is an even bigger fan of Bellardinelli's art than I am, as they were collecting a lot of it a few years back, including at least one story that notoriously got one hell of a kicking from the readers and critics.

Ian Kennedy art! Now that's a fine substitute for the late Colquohon and then some...