JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #202

What did you think of Hellblazer #202  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Hellblazer #202

• 10 (Brill On Toast)
    • 5 (Middle Of The Synchronicity Highway)
    • 1 (Ugh!)

And they look like they're hanging together. Whatever happened to Chas to get him in that state, the cover suggests that John gains a potent new ally.

If Carey does bring back the Demon Constantine I hope he somehow ties up that loose end. I was never a big fan of the idea of a second Constantine running around in Hell hanging out with the First of the Fallen. If you're not going to just ignore the fact that the Demon Constantine exists, then do something definite with the character so he's not just a hanging plot thread from another writer's era.

I'm late. No time to read all the conversations here.

I gave it an 8, which may be jumping the gun on the first of 4-parts, but Carey did really well to establish the first issue of the story, and to give us readers enough that our attention spans were wet for more!

Predictable that Alba gets killed off so quickly. Lacking impact.

I was really surprised by this issue! I was planning to hate this evil demon kids killing people story-line, but Carey has really played the horror and death very well off of characterization of John. Especially the aspects of his rememberance of a fake 40 years of his life lived within a 24-hour period. I would like to see John getting more desperate and depressed, but it was what I've been waiting for since "Third Worlds".

I'm sure if this story had the inner dialogue of John like Delano did, I'd be giving this story-arc a 10.

If Carey takes what he's written here and runs with it, this could be the best Carey H.B. since "High on Life".

Reading over this last page:

I thought the narrarator was Rosacarnis?!

I'd like to see John have a breakdown if Chas gets killed, where he reanimates his corpse and pretends like nothing happened. :biggrin:

ok. who is the narrator of this storyline? it's somebody who is apparently invisible to demons, as the kids don't notice him/her. so who can it be? their granddad, Nergal? the Phantom Stranger? one of Constantine's dead friends like Emma? Josh Wright? Demon Constantine (as he's pretty unique)? I'm betting on the latter, especially with Carey's talk about taking John to hell... maybe they want to switch places?

Ellie, possibly?

The heart thing would make her invisible still, she has(d) the closeness to Johnny boy, the hell links, and the reasons to do it.

I thought it was a great issue. I have a feeling John might need some help from the Phantom Stranger. The thing is this. Chas as always seemed reasonably safe from most of Johns magik work. But now that and IF he does die.. I can see John doing something he's never done before. I think The Phantom Stranger did tell Rosa to back off in #175 i think.. And she told him to piss off. Which is something you dont want to do.. I really hope Carey keeps the kids around for much longer then a single arc. Like have them appear here an there. And maybe Chas's ghost will appear like Brenans did..Who knows.

I think the consensus has it concerning the Demon Constantine.

Good scenes with the 'triumvirate of evil' killing Alba and Albert shows they're powerful, but Saul not even getting close to Map shows they clearly are limited in their power.

Map is bloody well powerful though so Saul definitely chose the 'hard' target, a little arrogant don't you think.

I think Mike's too fond of both Map and Clarice to off either one of them - which is a shame cause the billing for this arc ("John's kids kill his mates") needs higher profile dead bodies by story's end than Albas.

Having said that, my gut tells me that we'll see all three offspring work together to gut Map - just to show how badass they are.

Well really that would hurt John.. But at the end of the issue it showed Chas's truck falling off a cliff. Now he COULD survive like maybe instead of actually killing Chas they will just tortue him.. But I think they want to make John suffer. And really John has done worse things to people who done little things to him.. And sense him an Chas are like Brothers... I can see John seeking the help of Maybe Tim,Gemma, Teffe. Or Maybe he gets lil hints here and there from The Phantom Stranger.. Or maybe this will be the end of John and Gemma or Demon Constantine will take over.. Who knows.

Well he's more mysterious then John could ever be. And Carey seems to favor the guy.

It hasnt really been mentioned about him. Just that he tends to appear and give lil hints an tips when Humanity is either going to end, or When he feels the need. He's sorta the Spectre only he tries not to interfere in Mortal affairs.

Well, Carey might kill Angie....

Phantom Stranger=the Watcher of the DCU?!

Well, John, you just don't have love for the DCU, so how can we explain it?!

Personally, I've always liked Dr. Strange better; but how can you not love a guy with 4 possible origins?!

He's mysterious, he's powerful, he's not human. He's John Constantine in the hands of Stan Lee!

I gave it a 5.

I loved the story but I'm finding Manco's art a bit hit and miss, when he's good he's fucking amazing but there are places (the bit with all that broken glass springs immediately to mind) where the art seems jumbled and more than a little stilted. The colouring isn't helping.

A festival of brown.

excelent issue - torn between 9 and 8... really, this felt closer to HB than many of Carey's previous episodes... the bit with the tv set, bowels and penile dysfunction was absolutely ace, and will go down in history as one of the vintage J.C. moments...

(oh, Mr. McMac - i got the previous issue in the mail the other day, #201... thanks, mate!)

Great stuff. Really great stuff. Fair enough, Alba wasn't a major player but I can see Mike wanting to save the bigger deaths for later in the arc. Despite the fact that none of the big guns have gone down, the mystery of the narrator and the continuation of John's existential crisis are more than enough to keep my interest. And what a cliffhanger!

Manco's really coming on. Granted, the glass scene was a little sketchy but for the most part his work's perfect for the gloomy, doomed tone of the story. Interesting to see that he's given John a permanent scar after issue 200 (it was there last month but I didn't notice it). And he's working out that static image problem - the scenes with Saul's shadows attacking Map and the final splash page of Chas getting, er, splashed are surprisingly dynamic. Imagine how flat and shit this would look if late-era Frusin was still behind the pencil. The colouring is perfectly suited to the mood of the story, with plenty of reds and greens and considerably less brown than Tom seems to think.

Only quibbles - the kids' powers are fairly undefined (Adam psychically controlled people in ish 200, but now he's telekinetic? Saul was a woodentop but now he controls darkness itself?) and Carey's used that erectile dysfunction joke before in Lucifer, though it was a lot funnier this time 'round.

I'm giving the issue a 9 to leave room for a 10 next month if the storyline gets even better.

It looks like the kids are murdering John's associates in reverse order beginning with Staring at the Wall. Assuming Adam doesn't come back for Clarice (though I can't see why he wouldn't) and Saul stays clear of Map (understandable), that leaves Nathan Arcane, Ravi and Angie in the line of fire. I think I'll put up another "who's next?" poll for that, though.

Yeah are Gemma and Angie in hiding or are they planning something? You would think they would be the first people he contacted after he got his memories back.

And he's working out that static image problem - the scenes with Saul's shadows attacking Map and the final splash page of Chas getting, er, splashed are surprisingly dynamic.

Yeah, but the tanker is on the wrong side of the road.

And I wish Mike had not scripted it as "Worcester Park" because it ain't, since there's no such motorway there. (Just me that gets irked by this sort of thing, and it's only because recent attention to detail location has been rather good. Sometimes, Frusination is a necessary evil !)

The taxi office is going to be somewhere here:

http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=515000...p=newsearch.srf

which is handy for Gatwick.

So it is likely the lorry would be heading down the A238 (not the M25 which might be expected) and that just doesn't look ANYTHING like Spaghetti Junction.

Heh, I am more annoyed by the incorrect scenery.

There are not many places where a raised dual carriageway near trainlines :-(

It's more likely to be Tolworth.

http://195.92.245.225/image.dll?ShowImage&...&loc2=eb&type=P

I understand that Jon Vankin & co have put together a series bible.

In the section entitled "Stuff that is different when British" the first one should be amended from "they drive on the right side of the road" to "they drive on the proper side of the road".

How can we condemn the Hollywood people when the comic is *littered* with these sort of things ???

There's a difference between a very minor factual error and completely fucking up a fictional character who's just sitting there, waiting to be transerred to film.

If they want to send that bible to me for some proofreading, I'd be more than happy to help. I'd start by correcting the number of limbs that Thomas Constantine had.