Sign in to follow this  
TestosteRohne

X-Men Reloaded

Seventh-There's also the difference between democratic societies and non-democratic societies. I don't disdain violence as always being bad. I am a pacifist, myself. Most people would argue that self-defense is an acceptable form of violence. Even within a democratic society, I don't think that all use of violence is wrong. It just depends on what the goals of said violent tactics are, whether it is an appropriate use of force or not.

I certainly think that if a government or government-backed individuals are prepared to do violence to you, that it is perfectly acceptable to use force against said government agents or government-protected individuals.

Like I said, the Jewish ghetto revolts were one good example of when violence is acceptable.

The Anti-colonial struggles are another good example.

The battle against apartheid in South Africa is another.

John Brown's attempt to start a rebellion against the slave system in the southern US is another.

People want to claim that Brown was a fantatic or a terrorist, but had Brown's revolt succeeded, it would have prevented the American Civil War, one of the bloodiest wars in history.

The attempted assassinations of Lenin and Trotsky also.

Like I said, it depends on the circumstances. It's impossible to say "violence is always bad" and "non-violence is always the way".

Using Morrison's way wouldn't work in a dictatorship. That's perfectly true.

Morrison's path was about the acceptance of minorities in a wider society, as simple as that. Morrison wasn't addressing other issues, such as poverty or government repression. He was using examples from the democratic nations, as you pointed out, like the acceptance of racial minorities, women's issues, or gay rights in the mass culture, which have utilized the mass media and gained far more than any revolutionary rhetoric for the acceptance of these issues within the wider society.

Using Magneto's way, though, is the path to another Soviet Union. The revolution in Russia was acceptable. The Czar was repressive, the country didn't have a democracy, and the people were suffering. The Bolsheviks coming to power and creating a totalitarian regime, on the other hand, was just as bad, and eventually became even worse than the Czar under Stalin.

Like I pointed out, Magneto's way is the way of the freedom fighter as long as you have a government which is planning a possible genocide against mutants. Magneto's eventual goals of mutant supremacy, with humans as a second-class species who need to give up certain freedoms, on the other hand, is not an acceptable path.

In the world of X-Men, Genosha standing in for apartheid South Africa, and the X-Men eventually deciding to lead a revolt against that government, is a good example.

The less said about X-Force the better though....

Yeah, x-men ended up having a break between a more militant faction and a more conciliatory faction, too bad Rob Liefeld drew it and wrote it. In the Claremont era, the x-men became a lot more proactive post-mutant massacre, culminating with their invasion of Genosha.

Back on the original purpose of this topic, now that I've finished my re-read of Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, it's such a tragedy that Claremont couldn't have stayed until at least issue #300.

He had the "Mutant Wars" planned to culminate in issue #300. Mutants were going to become "merchandise" lacking in any human rights. Governments and corporations were going to utilize mutants. Different nations would compete with each other to acquire more mutants to use.

Sinister's goals would have been revealed, that he was planning to take advantage of these policies by world governments with mutants. The Mutant Massacre was the first step in his purge of any mutants who didn't fit with his agenda, because the Morlocks' powers were useless to be utilized by humans.

It would lead to a three-way war....Humanity, being secretly led by the Shadow King. The mutant supremacist side led by Apocalypse. And, the middle ground, being made up of the X-Men, being led by Magneto.

Parts of this final scenario might look familiar, as Scott Lobdell copied elements of Claremont's plans for the Age of Apocalypse event. Obviously, it wasn't the same as Claremont's eventual plans, but elements were cobbled together for an alternate universe.

I also never mentioned how much praise Claremont deserves for his treatment of Colossus. I rememnber not having much feeling about Colossus one way or another when I was first buying these comics in my younger days.

I love what Claremont did with Colossues. Probably the absolute high point of the Jim Lee period, when most say Claremont's run had gone on too long, was Claremont's continued growth of Colossus.

He went from a naive farm boy from the USSR, who played up his proletarian background. Shy to show his emotions. Relying on his metal form and his strength.

By the end of Claremont's run, Colossus was shown to be the most sensitive of the X-Men, who had embraced poetry and painting.

I really enjoy the character of Colossus under Claremont. Too bad, like so many other elements of X-Men lore, it got mangled after Claremont left X-Men.

I think I should read Claremont's New Mutants run next. It often served as a companion to what he was doing on X-Men. So, that's another 54 issues! We shall see...

• Upvote 1