TestosteRohne

Batman Reloaded

The last two issues do seem to be pulling the various threads from Morrison's thus-far disappointing run into something resembling an entertaining and mildly interesting comic series, though, which is at least vaguely promising.

On the other hand, I got a copy of Dini's detective trade the other day and he hit the ground running. Which one of these guys is supposed to be the comic book genius again?

Awww.....that's unfair. Dini has experience with one character and he writes him well, and it's Batman.

Morrison has taken characters like Doom Patrol and Animal Man and turned them into amazing reads. He's written one of the most defining comic series of the 90s with Invisibles. He hit the ground running with his Superman book.

Yeah, he's been shaky on Batman, but Morrison is still the comic book genius.

Paul Dini is just a damn fine writer on Batman.

Not saying he couldn't do a good job with other characters, because he's very talented. But, I certainly wouldn't classify Dini as the creative genius that Morrison has proven himself.

It's not as if every Dini issue of Detective has been masterful either. He's had some stories that didn't quite work.

I'm not really saying Dini's a genius, but Morrison's not doing himself any favours these days by writing far, far too many comics and movies at the same damned time. As a result, his biography is rapidly filling up with work that's deeply mediocre and far beneath the level he can write at when he's really concentrating on something.

Besides, Morrison by all accounts gave good Batman in the JLA series that he did.

In Batman 665, Was Damien the Bane ripoff? that part wasn't really clear to me.

No, he wasn't. That was a corrupt cop who's clearly part of some larger conspiracy, same as the guy who shot the Joker in the face back in Morrison's first issue.

Without wanting to seem too patronising, what gave you the impression that it might have been Damian? It struck me as such a strange interpretation that I've just re-read the issue to see if I could figure out what you were basing it on, but I've still got nothin'.

probably a combination of not really remembering the preceding issue too well, and Damian being brought to his mother all beat to hell in what looks like a similar shredded outfit.

So I ask you, What's going on with Damian?

Last time we saw him, he was apparently killed in a huge explosion. It's revealed here that, while badly injured, he survived (who'da thunk it?), and Talia's got all sorts of sci-fi-type medical folks working to make sure he recovers, while she continues to keep an eye on Bruce Wayne, presumably plotting something. We don't know any more than that at this point.

Ahhh, yes. Stupid Short term memory. Really, whats wrong with me that i can't remember that.

Yes, I'm very confused about Morrison's handling of Batman.

He wrote every fan-boys' dream Batman during his JLA run.

But, his LOTDK story was pretty average, and he seems almost intimidated by the Bat-god so far in his run on Batman. Strange....

---------------------

Damian will also apparently be playing a big part in next issue, Batman #666.

Much as I loved Morrison's JLA version of Batman (seriously, James, you should read it - the whole run is marred by some fucking hideous art by Howard Porter, but if you can get past that, it's got some of the best mainstream writing Morrison's ever done - Rock Of Ages, in particular, is one of my favourite superhero stories. The Morrison/Quitely JLA: Earth 2 trade is well worth picking up too), I can't imagine it working in the main Bat-books. He was just too all-powerful, too overwhelmingly perfect - it worked fine in the "super-team as pantheon of Gods" context of JLA, but would have felt wrong in a street-level, fighting-crime-in-Gotham book.

Unfortunately, what he's come up with for the new version still hasn't entirely coalesced into something satisfying. There are lots of good ideas, in both characterisation and plot terms, but none of it has quite gelled. That said, the most recent two issues have shown a marked improvement, and while I'm slightly sceptical about the solicitation for issue #666, I like the sound of the next arc a lot. If it continues to improve, I'll be happy to pick it up in trade, and write off Batman & Son as a disappointing start. I'm still not as 100% confident in Morrison's ability to pull it off as I would have been a year or two ago, though.

(seriously, James, you should read it - the whole run is marred by some fucking hideous art by Howard Porter, but if you can get past that, it's got some of the best mainstream writing Morrison's ever done - Rock Of Ages, in particular, is one of my favourite superhero stories. The Morrison/Quitely JLA: Earth 2 trade is well worth picking up too)

Yeah, they're on my "to buy" list, but only when I've got around to flogging the excess books that are clogging up my place. I doubt they'll ever go out of print, so I'm not too worried there.

Maybe DC will comission Quitely to go back and re-draw all of Morrison's JLA stories.... that would be the best thing EVAH.

Anyway, Morrison's Batman run thus far has been very meh.

Is he phoning it in? Too many projects/responsibilities over at DC?

Time for the Joker to acquire a fictionsuit, I say.

Dini's run on Detective has been only slightly better. Sadly, I think I like the non-Dini issues just as much as the Dini ones--- but maybe that's due to the art in the spooge-bomber 2-parter.

I will concede that the Joker/Robin story was pretty excellent, though.

Maybe DC will comission Quitely to go back and re-draw all of Morrison's JLA stories.... that would be the best thing EVAH.

And then do The Invisibles.

And then give me a million billion pounds.

:(

Surely this isn't correct. From Rich Johnston's Laying in the Gutters:

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

And what of Batwoman? Well, I'm told the launch of the Rucka/Williams series has been pushed back yet again because of the movie, and fears of "unacceptable media coverage." I'm told four issues are fully completed.

Apparently it's okay for Batman to be dead, and a new character take his place when there's a movie out. But not for Batwoman to be a lesbian. At least wait till it's gone to DVD for that brunette bombshell.

Oh, I hope this happens. I really, really do.

Yes, it'd be a crap idea (although Brubaker's Captain America has, if anything, been better since he killed off Steve Rogers), but it won't last more than a few months/a year or two anyway, and the hysterical nerd meltdowns will be hilarious.

Well, we all know that Bruce Wayne won't stay dead. I just don't like the 'shiny new #1' idea.

But i see what you are saying, the outcry will be massive and hysterical.

Haven't they tried to kill Bruce Wayne and tried to have different people fill in his role. Az Batman to Nightwing in Prodigy.

Why do comic companies do this? They try to kill off a character and decide to "reboot" the numbering of the series.

So, I guess Morrison is going to be off Batman by June or July then?

There's no mention of creators, but with a relaunch, I'm sure Morrison won't still be around.

Probably for the best, since he has Final Crisis coming up and doesn't seem capable of writing more than one monthly title at a time.

You always get the feeling that constant re-'number oneing' of a series is to try and get new readers to hop on board.

But surely the Bat-canon is one of the most continuity mired universes if new readers have to take into account that the new Batman used to be a sidekick to the old Batman and there have been other old sidekicks to the old Batman who aren't the new Batman but are still out there. What if the new Batman gets a new sidekick who becomes the replacement to one of the sidekicks to the old Batman if they die?

Ginyarg!!!!! Just come up with a new character you lazy bastards or do something good with the characters that exist.

Coming soon... Year One: Year One.

Neal Adams came out of retirement and all we got was this lousy cover:

That's ugly.

Nice concept, shame about the execution. The linework is OK, but the actual layout is pig-ugly, and horribly confusing to boot.

Still vastly better than the "aargh, I've just shat meself" cover he did for All-Star Superman #1, though:

ASSMCv1Variant.jpg

I'm particularly impressed with the way he made the bottom of Superman's cape look exactly like a hilariously crap-filled bulge in the back of his pants.

Surely this isn't correct. From Rich Johnston's Laying in the Gutters:

In June/July, DC are killing off Batman. Or rather, Bruce Wayne. Robin will inherit the Batman cowl. One of the Robins anyway. Tim Drake. Jason Todd. Or possibly Red Hood. Hey, maybe Jean-Paul Valley, it has been ten years since Azrael.

Either way, the book will relaunch with a nice shiny #1.

Yes, didn't Captain America miss a trick there? I'm sure Marvel will do the same come 2009.

And what of Batwoman? Well, I'm told the launch of the Rucka/Williams series has been pushed back yet again because of the movie, and fears of "unacceptable media coverage." I'm told four issues are fully completed.

Apparently it's okay for Batman to be dead, and a new character take his place when there's a movie out. But not for Batwoman to be a lesbian. At least wait till it's gone to DVD for that brunette bombshell.

Not a bad idea really.

You see if they kill him, then they can replace him with four other Batmen.

Like a punky Bat Boy (Perhaps give him round glasses and a leather jacket), a Cyborg Batman (Half his face is a robotic!), a Batman with Red Visor and and lastly a Black Iron Man/Thor Batman.

Just think about it...

Last week's rumour about Batman kicking the Batbucket to be replaced by a sidekick is kicking up steam. As Valerie D'Orazio picks up on, the original plan was for all the main DC icons to die and be elevated to the status of New Gods as part of the Fifth World, their sidekicks filling the roles they left behind.

However, that plan was abandoned internally at DC and reduced to a Bat-storyline by Grant Morrison. So look for Bruce Wayne New God to go head-to-head with Darkseid in "Final Crisis."

From Lying in the Gutters