Some C4 at point blank range

Although obviously he has

Somehow survived. Which is

Clearly BULLSHIT.

Ah. I stopped reading

Judd Winnick's Batman

After about 4 issues, so never got

That far.

Batman #655-This is the funniest Batman comic I've read in ages! Probably ever! And, if we're talking Batman comics that were supposed to be funny and not unintentionally funny, then I'd say it's probably the funniest Batman story ever!

Question:

The reveal at the end, about the little boy, is this a recurring plot in the Bat-titles or something Grant introduced?

I haven't read a Bat-book in a good while now, so I'm way behind on any ongoing plots.

I haven't read a Batbook regularly in years, so i'm not even sure who that lady was at the end. What's her story?

"try to have less gravel in your voice." = Brilliant!

I haven't read a Batbook regularly in years, so i'm not even sure who that lady was at the end. What's her story?

Maybe a bit of a spoiler here guys.

But in Batman-Bride of the Demon, Bats is married, possibly against his will to Talia Al Ghul, you guessed it Ra's daughter.

In Batman- Son of the Demon, Bats joins Ra's League of Assasins.

He teaches and trains them non lethal techniques and shacks up with Talia too.

She becomes pregnant and tells Bruce, who is overjoyed.

However, later during some inevitable scrap, she is injured and tells Bruce that she has miscarriaged.

Feeling that nothing is really holding him there, he finally returns to Gotham.

Batman-Son of the Demon's final page reveal, is an infant being abandonded by Talia on an orphanage's doorstep.

When Lex Luthor became the American President, Talia ran Lexcorp.

She was partly responsible for the death of her father, Ras Al Ghul, in Batman-Death and the Maidens.

She popped up during Hush too, and was part of Lex's (but really Alex's) Villians United team.

She was also responsible for some of Jason Todd's revival, dipping him in her fathers Lazuras pits and offering him shelter.

I believe, that it was impled in Batman-Bane of the Demon that the boy who became Bane was infact Bruce's son, hence the title.

But this was never followed through or became official continuity.

Mark Waid's version of Alan Moore's Twilight, Kingdom Come, he introduced the adult son of Bruce.

Ibxn Al Ghul (Will spell that correctly later), which translated roughly to Son of the Bat, was raised by his Grandfather Ra's.

Son of the Bat, who looked like a fusion of Nightwing and Ras Al Ghul would get his own oneshot during the Kingdom Come's sequel, The Kingdom.

The Son of the Bat was a really good idea, but understandably, his story has never really been followed through.

I have high expectations of Morrison's run here and his handling of a delicate area, possibly too high.

This first issue was great.

The first few pages were a great statement, comparing the older uber dark version of Batman and Morrison's healthiar more rounded version(although having him bin a wounded Joker was a tad extreme?).

Plus it appears that Morrison wants the Joker out of the picture during his run.

The feeding the bats line was great and is evidence of the neat touches Grant will be bringing.

It's nice to see Alfred in a bigger role, or atleast that it feels like a bigger role.

Batman's conversation with the still mad Gordon was aces too.

I liked the Lichtenstein esque pop comic art exhibit.

More Batman in the Uk!

Andy Kubert's art seems to be aiming for a mixture of Jim Lee and Frank Miller, and i prefer these sharper pencils to his painted work in Wolverine Origins.

As Christian said, the issue was funny, but thankfully it was never parody.

Roll on the 50 Ninja Man-bats!!!

Batman was actually pretty damn good. It was one of the only comics that got me to read it 3x's. I mean I loved how Morrison actually had it so that Bruce Wayne and Batman are going to be two different persona's.

The action and everything was also pretty good. Next issue. 35 page Manbat vs Batman fight. we get 50 Man bats ninja's vs the Dark Knight. Can this not be any awesomer? I think not my friends.

Detective Comics. Paul Dini is the man. Seriously the way he portrayed Bruce Wayne and Batman wasl also aces. The thing with the guy dying , may be a bit weird or wrong in some peoples eyes. But if you read the panal again, Batman didnt push him infront of the train, the guy got beatin up and tried to escape and didnt realize a train was coming his way.

I didnt like how the Detective artixst sortv gave Bruce Wayne an over bite. But that was my only problem. Everything else was pretty much top knotch.

I loved how Morrison showed Batman during his off hours training and working a new BatMobile. The fact that during Morrisons and Dini's run that we will get to see Bruce Wayne AND Batman in action, makes the book a lot cooler. I hope both of them stay on the book full time.

Maybe a bit of a spoiler here guys.

But in Batman-Bride of the Demon, Bats is married, possibly against his will to Talia Al Ghul, you guessed it Ra's daughter.

In Batman- Son of the Demon, Bats joins Ra's League of Assasins.

He teaches and trains them non lethal techniques and shacks up with Talia too.

She becomes pregnant and tells Bruce, who is overjoyed.

However, later during some inevitable scrap, she is injured and tells Bruce that she has miscarriaged.

Feeling that nothing is really holding him there, he finally returns to Gotham.

Batman-Son of the Demon's final page reveal, is an infant being abandonded by Talia on an orphanage's doorstep.

When Lex Luthor became the American President, Talia ran Lexcorp.

She was partly responsible for the death of her father, Ras Al Ghul, in Batman-Death and the Maidens.

She popped up during Hush too, and was part of Lex's (but really Alex's) Villians United team.

She was also responsible for some of Jason Todd's revival, dipping him in her fathers Lazuras pits and offering him shelter.

I believe, that it was impled in Batman-Bane of the Demon that the boy who became Bane was infact Bruce's son, hence the title.

But this was never followed through or became official continuity.

Mark Waid's version of Alan Moore's Twilight, Kingdom Come, he introduced the adult son of Bruce.

Ibxn Al Ghul (Will spell that correctly later), which translated roughly to Son of the Bat, was raised by his Grandfather Ra's.

Son of the Bat, who looked like a fusion of Nightwing and Ras Al Ghul would get his own oneshot during the Kingdom Come's sequel, The Kingdom.

The Son of the Bat was a really good idea, but understandably, his story has never really been followed through.

I have high expectations of Morrison's run here and his handling of a delicate area, possibly too high.

This first issue was great.

The first few pages were a great statement, comparing the older uber dark version of Batman and Morrison's healthiar more rounded version(although having him bin a wounded Joker was a tad extreme?).

Plus it appears that Morrison wants the Joker out of the picture during his run.

The feeding the bats line was great and is evidence of the neat touches Grant will be bringing.

It's nice to see Alfred in a bigger role, or atleast that it feels like a bigger role.

Batman's conversation with the still mad Gordon was aces too.

I liked the Lichtenstein esque pop comic art exhibit.

More Batman in the Uk!

Andy Kubert's art seems to be aiming for a mixture of Jim Lee and Frank Miller, and i prefer these sharper pencils to his painted work in Wolverine Origins.

As Christian said, the issue was funny, but thankfully it was never parody.

Roll on the 50 Ninja Man-bats!!!

Nope. I didn't mean funny as parody. It was just funny.

The way the current issue of Hellblazer tried to be but fell flat....

Anyway, thanks for the in-depth story recap, Test!

I know that was Talia, and I've read Kingdom Come, but I didn't know the rest of the story.

I had thought that the "son of the Demon" was out of continuity, but i guess Superboy (or is it Super-Boy :D ) punched it right back in.

I thought it was Talia, but i didn't remember her being blue, so i was confused.

The first issue of Grant Morrison's Batman was great! My favourite bit by far was Alfred, who was awesome throughout. Lecturing Bruce about how to be Bruce was the shiznit.

Nice work on neeevil Talia and her creepy, precocious child as well.

That...was a top-fucking-notch first issue. The opening scenes were a little confused (and, much as I'd love to, I don't think I can realistically lay all the blame for that at Kubert's feet, although his awkward story-telling certainly didn't help to make an overly-abrupt and jarring opening work any better), but everything after the visit to Jim Gordon's hospital room was PURE GOLD.

I was dubious about the re-introduction of the kid from Son of the Demon, and I still have no idea where Morrison might be going with that (I'd imagine that there are still a good few twists in store), but I'm looking forward to finding out. A very different book from Dini's similarly-excellent debut on Detective Comics, but clearly working from the same basic template version of Batman, and covering aspects of the character's life which wouldn't suit the tone of 'Tec (and, of course, the reverse is equally true of Dini). A common take on the character, filtered through the perspectives of two very different, but hugely-talented writers.

Ace.

at first i was a little bummed because i would have prefered adam as opposed to andy kubert,now i realize that was foolish.adam is probably more dynamic if you were to compare the two of them but andy is clearly the more consistent one.

and i second what dave said i love the joker copter too.

That was class, aye.

Certainly got plenty of story for my money, from the evil Batman to Bruce learning how to be Bruce, Alfred and Robin cracking wise and (of course) the Ninja-motherfucking-Manbats baby. Art was strictly average but did the job, so mustn't grumble.

Son Of The Demon is being rereleased next week, they might've been better served having it out before this issue though!

Dini's made some noises about Detective not being as stand-alone as it might first appear.

I'm going to stick with Morrison's and maybe pick up the Dini stuff when it's traded.

Just read the Batman: City of Crime trade. Was it just me or did that thing not make any sense at all?

What was the connection between the baby trade and the mud guys? How did the regular baddies connect with The Body? What WAS The Body anyway?

A complete mess.

Haven't read Dini's take on the new-and-improved Bats, but Morrison's gave me the same feeling that i got from his New X-Men debut, it's looney and detached somehow, but damn fun to read, and leaves you wanting more. Good start, overall.

Just read Batman #655 and that was fantastic although it was a little confusing on the first few pages what was actually going on.

Alfred teaching Bruce how to be Bruce Wayne was excellent. Less gravelly. :D

I reckon this finally establishes the character of Ibn al Xu'ffasch in the mainstream Batman continuity because I think it has been ambiguous in the past. I can't wait to see where this storyline goes.

It's not been ambiguous - former Batman editors have stated flat-out that Son of the Demon was out-of-continuity. Looks like Morrison's reversing that decision, though.

I loved the issue, as I said last week, but I'm surprised that Rogan thought it was "looney and detached". One of the things I liked about it was that, while there were a few bits which felt vaguely off-kilter in a typically Morrison-esque way (the opening sequence, mainly - which, oddly, didn't really work for me, although I'm happy to accept that it was set-up for something a bit more interesting down the line), the rest of the issue was a fairly conventional, classic Batman story - just a really fucking good one. It may start getting all weird and Morrison-esque later, but to be honest, much as I love his more out-there work, I'd probably rather it didn't. Classic-style Batman is good enough for me.

I really enjoyed the bit with Batman hanging out in the Batcave, cracking wise with Alfred and then Robin showing up like the teenage son to borrow the car (or bike, in this case).

I've not been keeping up to date in the goings on in the Batman universe in the past few years and though aware of Son of the Demon haven't read it and had heard talk that it was not in continuity but wasn't entirely sure.

Mark - looney and detached in a good way, like his X-men start. It just, as usual, doesn't have the feel of characterization in the dramatic sesne of the word. Dunno. Maybe that's just my prejudice on Morrison's writing making me view the episode in a way that i expect to receive it.

I think I'm actually the only one who actually found Morrison's first issue a bit overrated. I don't know exactly didn't please me, but it felt totally out of place and just weird for me. I did love the Alfred scenes which were almost the whole book, but I don't know... something's missing...

I guess I'll just have to wait for next issue. But in the meantime, BRING ON THE DINI!!!

I see Morrison's first issue of Batman similar to his work on All-Star Superman or The Flash. He seems to be wanting to bring a bit of the Silver Age back to current superhero comics.

Instead of deciding to reinvent the wheel, he's just doing damn fine superhero comics that can be read by adults who grew up reading Silver Age comics and miss those stories.

I've heard some people refer to Morrison's first issue as being underwhelming. I think they're going into the book and expecting Morrison to be writing The Invisibles or Doom Patrol again. That's not Morrison's intent with a book like Batman. I wonder if the avant-garde Morrisonesque magick is what you're feeling is missing or weird?