TestosteRohne

Batman Reloaded

Just a quick bump because the recent board hiccup appears to have somehow removed this thread from the front page.

I decided to pick up Paul Dini's first two issue of Detective Comics since it was a slow comic week for me.

The first issue was pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Just a good Batman story, although I liked the emphasis on the Dark Knight Detective again. Art was nice too, of course.

But, the newest issue, with the Riddler. This is good! It reminded me of Brubaker's run. This looks to be two very strong creative teams on the Batbooks. I'll be sticking with Dini's run, if it's going to be the quality of this issue.

Especially with Poison Ivy next issue.

Is Roxy Rocket an actual Batcharacter, or was Dini just using the character he created for the animated series in the comic?

I decided to pick up Paul Dini's first two issue of Detective Comics since it was a slow comic week for me.

The first issue was pretty good, but nothing outstanding. Just a good Batman story, although I liked the emphasis on the Dark Knight Detective again. Art was nice too, of course.

But, the newest issue, with the Riddler. This is good! It reminded me of Brubaker's run. This looks to be two very strong creative teams on the Batbooks. I'll be sticking with Dini's run, if it's going to be the quality of this issue.

Especially with Poison Ivy next issue.

Is Roxy Rocket an actual Batcharacter, or was Dini just using the character he created for the animated series in the comic?

image011hg4.jpg

I can't wait to pick up the issue. :lol:

I thought this was a fun issue. Not as fun as the last one, but fun none the less. It was actually really great to see Roxy Rocket, me being a HUGE fan of the TV show, and I was hoping that the artist would give us the more"revamped" version of Riddler who started to wear all black rather than green.

Wasn't as blown away by this Dini issue, as the last.

That may have a lot to do with the average artwork here.

Or atleast in comparison to Williams.

Some of the issues's execution could have been better too.

Don't tell us that there's blood on the Riddlers's shoe, show it to us etc.

Plus the reveal that Bats did know what was going on should have occurred after the Riddler deduced as much.

Then followed by the scene at the airport.

I liked the revamping of sorts of the Riddler, but it's a shame what they did to him post Hush.

Of all the Bats villians, it made sense that the Ridder would know who Batman was.

Still looking forward to the next ish, as Dini revamps Batman's Rogue's gallery.

Truth to tell though, the son of the bat and 50 ninja Manbats, has captured my fancy more.

He worked with Dini in his first issue.

Williams' art takes a long time.

I think he's doing every other issue, but I'm not positive.

Does anyone know why he ditched Desolation Jones for Bat-gigs...?

(i don't mind, i am already hyped for Žeželj's stint on the title)

I just read the first Dini issue and the first Morrison one last night. I thought the Dini one was ok, but I really loved what Morrison is doing. I don't really know all that much about Batman, so I guess this thread is going to be helpful for me if I'm gonna be reading Batman regularly.

Just read the Morrison issue and fucking loved it. Already deals with so many of the things that make Batman the only superhero I can stand to read about with any kind of regularity. Cracking fun. I was really afraid that Morrison would do his kooky, incoherent, surreal thing to the title but I see no signs of this. As Mark said, classic Batman is what I'm looking for. I am enormously psyched.

Bit confused about what happened to the Joker, though. Surely he can't get rid of a major character in the DCU offhand? I'm not sure how that works. But yeah, I guess he's going to return at some point. They did say he was still alive.

Batman is the greatest. And evidently he can bench a lot.

Just read the Morrison issue and fucking loved it. Already deals with so many of the things that make Batman the only superhero I can stand to read about with any kind of regularity. Cracking fun. I was really afraid that Morrison would do his kooky, incoherent, surreal thing to the title but I see no signs of this. As Mark said, classic Batman is what I'm looking for. I am enormously psyched.

Bit confused about what happened to the Joker, though. Surely he can't get rid of a major character in the DCU offhand? I'm not sure how that works. But yeah, I guess he's going to return at some point. They did say he was still alive.

Batman is the greatest. And evidently he can bench a lot.

When he was carrying the Jokers body, that one EMT said "Batman, No. he's alive!". And really like what ws said before. If the Joker can survive being blown up and beatin with a crowbar, then a gunshot to the face wont keep him down.

in may have been brought up in which case whoever wrote it stop stealing shit from my mind before i get to say it.

but morrison's last page of the first batman issue really reminded me of the last page from his first first issue of new x-men.the one with all the mutated sentinels,he really is a master at getting you to keep buying,month after month.

You're right, DC head honcho Dan Didio made some point by saying that if you were willing to wait for the trade, then we were not doing our jobs correctly.

i saw the sketch cover polybagged and boarded at a place that only sells new stuff and graphic novels(as well as music and dvd's)and this seems to be occuring alot lately with some of there other big titles.stuff like infinite crisis etc. but this has never happened to a book i read(other than ultimates 2 #1 and that was like $40,no thanks)

i wish i had a better idea if i was gonna love this run because i like grant morrison and andy kubert but unless i love it,there's no call for buying the same comic for another ten bucks.cover looked cool enough though.

there's no call for buying the same comic for another ten bucks

Exactly. So don't.

in what issue did this run began?

The Morrison/Kubert Batman run began with the latest issue, #655 (the second issue is due out next week). For my money, though, Paul Dini's Detective Comics is looking like the better book of the two so far, if you're only interested in trying one of them - there've been two issues of that published so far, beginning with #821.

thanx,i´ll check them out.I have always loved batman but never read a lot, so i´ll see what all the fuzz is about

I noticed that, too. Hopefully it's just a fill-in issue - haven't heard anything to contradict Dini's initial statements that he'll be on the title for at least a year or more.

In related news, the cover to November's issue of Batman is fucking shithouse, and the solicitation doesn't excite me too much either. Still, it's Morrison, so he'll probably make something good out of it...

It's probably a fuck up on DC end. I checked their issue for Batman in November and it had Dini doing both issue, with the same exact story line from that months Detective comics in october.

There's a lengthy (and hugely entertaining) interview with Grant Morrison about Batman at Newsarama, right here. It's well worth checking out.

I have to admit, after the first rush of "Grant fuckin' Morrison's going to be writing Batman!" excitement, I was slightly worried about whether or not his run would be entirely to my tastes - the first issue, while not un-enjoyable, didn't grab my attention in the way that it seemed to for some people, and after utterly loving the first two issues of Paul Dini's Detective Comics, I was almost prepared for Morrison's Batman run to be, while fun enough, a bit of a disappointment.

I really needn't have worried, should I? This interview has put all my concerns to rest, and has me well and truly psyched for what looks like a potentially phenomenal run of comics. Huzzah!

Quote by Morrison from the interview:

"GM: And while we're on that subject...Batman vs. Al Qaeda! It might as well be Bin Laden vs. King Kong! Or how about the sinister Al Qaeda mastermind up against a hungry Hannibal Lecter! For all the good it's likely to do. Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs' Al Qaeda."

Thanks for the article Mark.

Grant's balance of humour and genuine insight (ie not "nerdy") are a godsend.

Unfortunately my expectations are now higher! :icon_redface: