TestosteRohne

Batman Reloaded

I thought this was a fun issue too, but I remember Ivy being much rational this time last time she was stopped by Batman, but whatever. Ret-con, whatever, Dini is awesome!

Yeah, it seemed she would have flipped out a bit more when her beloved babies turned on her....

....She should be written in this way though, as seductiveness is a huge part of her character, and most writers ignore that fact.

She's not mentally ill, as such, but mentally unbalanced.

I love Borderlines.

I look forward to this issue. Seeing exactly what caused the plants to go against her will. I wonder if the Riddler tried to help with the case as well. :lol:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny seeing that, and Bullock's reaction.

Can't wait to see Dini handle Two-Face and Mr. Freeze, if he does.

I want a Paul Dini Mad Hatter story!!!!!!!

Dini writes Mad Hatter head and shoulders above everyone else.

The greatest Mad Hatter story was his first appearance on the Animated Series.

The last decent Mad Hatter comic story was the story in Gotham Central.

Morrison's take on the character in Arkham Asylum is the only version that comes close, and that was just two pages.

The only other story with Mad Hatter that was anything other than a joke was that LOTDK Special written by Jeph Loeb.

That's 3 good Mad Hatter stories in the character's entire comic book existence!

He's my favourite Bat-villain too.

I dunno, I never quite got what was so great about the Mad Hatter... :huh:

I never found him too fasinating, although I can find how his fascination and obsession with Alice in Wonderland to be quite terrorfieing(sp) if done right, I guess that can be his appeal to you. Or I can be saying that because I really don't have a definite story of the Hatter as a villain, just stories of him here and there and the episodes I've seen him in the cartoon.

He's a quiet, shy, introverted genius who spent his life escaping into fiction to escape the rejection and ridicule he faced from society due to his stature and odd thinking/behaviour.

Rejection by a blonde girl named Alice finally led to a psychotic break. He's an obsessive personality.

He took up the role of his favourite character from fiction, and used his genius with mechanical skills to create hats he could use to control others.

He's an extremely interesting character with a lot of potential.

The biggest problem is he isn't much of a villain for Batman. He can't fight back. His character is purely psychological and can be used for terrifying stories that don't fit in superhero comics and for stories about the fate of the alienated dreamers in our society.

Grant Morrison added the extremely creepy aspects of his personality, as to just how twisted and dark his psyche is.

I've always really related to the character. In fact, I have his action figure sitting in front of me at my computer desk!

Heh heh, awesome.

Me, myself as a Batman fan, have always felt more connected to Two-Face, as many people can already tell. I've always been into the two different sides of people and who they really were, especially knowing their good and bad sides and for a short while I was a bit obsessed with multiple disorders. At times I would also feel like I hold things in too much that I wish I'd have another side to have the balls to espress how I felt and Two-Face being this way as a bit of an outlet, constantly having to either do the right thing or the worse.

Last year I even made a short documentary on the two different sides of people that you don't normally see and I named it "The Flip of a Coin" :D

Yep, I am highly obsessed myself :happy:

Christian, we should become supervillains.

OK! That sounds fun!

L.M. Rosa always said he related to Scarecrow.

Rogan used the Joker avatar.

I don't refer to this Forum as Arkham Asylum just because we're all mental patients locked away in mental hospitals!

Or....wait....or, IS that why?

And let's not forget Pooka's love for Catwoman...

Christian, were you a fan of the original Alice in Wonderland story by the time you became a big devotee of the Church of the Mad Hatter?

Then I'v got good news for you, Christian.

Grant has stated that he plans to stay on Batman pretty much longer then 12 issues. Depending on how many more ideas he gets, he could very well be mainstay on the title. :ph34r:

I hope he stays for maybe 5+ years! I just can't wait to see what he got planned for other villains and I'm hoping he stays for much longer with All Star Supes also.

He's going to bring the Joker back to his glory days of being twisted and vicous. "Soul Destroyingly Scary" He said he's got an arc that deals with the Guy who dressed like Batman and the GCPD. Ace the Bat Hound. Batmite. A club of Super villains. A new villain, and possibly more after that. Right now he's only got the first 12 issues plotted. But once that rolls around, he just may have more to write.

Bruce Jones is OFF Nightwing after this months issue, and Nightwing gets.. Marv Wolfman, The man who created him. So the title is going to be going back to the glory days of it being light hearted and action packed like Dixons era.

Detective 823 left me unimpressed; partly the storytelling, but mainly the dreadful McFarlane-ripoff art. Looks like most folks here loved it, so I won't belabour what I thought were its shortcomings. Suffice to say that in page 12 panels 2-4, Batman appears to be taking a crap in the ruined building.

Christian, I doubt Mad Hatter will ever live up to the potential of your excellent character description.

He will if I start to write a series about him! :D

My description is pretty much what Paul Dini did with the character in Batman:The Animated Series.

Jason-Yeah, I thought the art looked like something from early-90s Image too. But, I got over it.

I'm fine with Poison Ivy being drawn in a sexual manner, since that's the crux of her character.

Although showing her clothes almost completely shredded after the first attack was tasteless and illogical, since that wasn't her own decision to act in a sexual manner....although with what was revealed at the end, perhaps the plant shredded her clothes in such a revealing manner for a reason!

<Insert "LOL"-type icon here>

Nice work, that man!

I ddin't hate the issue as much as you did, but the sub-MacFarlane art was a major problem for me, too. The cheesecake/T&A elements were mildly irritating, but as Christian says, they aren't too wide of the mark so far as depictions of Ivy go - she's always been a pretty overtly-sexualised character, after all. It definitely took things a little far on a few pages, though, particularly the full-page splash Christian mentioned.

As to the actual story - well, it wasn't bad, by any means, but definitely my least favourite Dini issue so far. The basic plot set-up was strong, but the resolution seemed rushed - too much information and action crammed into too few pages. I'm enjoying the single-issue format of Dini's run, but this story seemed a little constrained by it - there wasn't quite enough plot here to satisfactorily fill two full issues, but there was a little more than could be comfortably told in just 22 pages, especially with the slower pacing of the first 1/4 or so of the book.

Still, on the whole, I enjoyed it - flaws aside, Dini's still got an excellent grasp of the central characters of the Bat-universe, particularly Batman himself. From what he's said about it in interviews, I'm rather looking forward to the Penguin story next month, too - hopefully the art'll be a bit better for that one. That's the advantage of the shifting-artist policy they're employing here - we may occasionally get stuck with someone sub-par, like we did this issue, but at least there's a reasonable chance that the next issue will be a major improvement. It suits the single-issue format well, on the whole, and while I'd also be glad to just have a single top-notch artist working on a few consecutive issues, the unpredictability of the rotating art teams is certainly preferable to the numbing inevitability of Kubert's shit, lifeless art over on Morrison's Batman, at the very least.

J.H Williams III will be back on Detective Comics when?

Please tell me it will be soon.

Perhaps in a future issue they can get a Rob Liefield-like artist.

I enjoyed the latest Dini ish, but I'm kind of undecided on the new Ivy-specific supervillian. Could "Harvest" be a threat to anyone besides Ivy? Will we ever see him/it/them again? It was set up that way, but you never know.

I enjoyed the latest Dini ish, but I'm kind of undecided on the new Ivy-specific supervillian. Could "Harvest" be a threat to anyone besides Ivy? Will we ever see him/it/them again? It was set up that way, but you never know.

The introduction of Harvest reminded me strongly of the introduction of Venom in Amazing Spider-Man in the 1980s.

The McFarlane-esque art and the Michelinie-esque exposition contributed to the sense of deja vu. :)

The cheesecake/T&A elements were mildly irritating, but as Christian says, they aren't too wide of the mark so far as depictions of Ivy go - she's always been a pretty overtly-sexualised character, after all.

Fair point, but in Joe Benitez' rendition she looked about 16, which I found grating; and the poses Benitez used to make her look "sexy" were contemptible. I wonder how old the penciller is? And if he's, you know, done it wif a lady?

The basic plot set-up was strong, but the resolution seemed rushed - too much information and action crammed into too few pages. ... there was a little more than could be comfortably told in just 22 pages...

I think it would've worked fine if page 3, and about 5-sixths of page 7, hadn't been wasted.

I didn't want to moan about this issue, but you people made me do it. :tongue:

Well, you know....she did have a large hip/butt area as compared to the rest of her body, and she did stick that out quite a bit....so I felt it was appropriate sexual mannerisms for her....

Naah, I'm with Jason on this. Portraying Ivy as a sexamalicious bit of totty is more-or-less justifiable (if a little over-the-top), but doing it in a really crap way isn't.