TestosteRohne

Batman Reloaded

Harvest was pretty lame, and I thought the ending was very abrupt, but overall I liked this issue, and the "20 Questions" with Robin and Ivy was ace. The art wasn't great, but I kinda liked the stylised manga-Robin, and it's better than it's been in the last two issues of "Batman".

I read the first Morrison issue in the bookstore. That is the Batman I love and remember. Even though it was just a bit jokey, it was almost enough to drive me back into the comic book store. I guess I'll just have to make it a point of getting to the bookstore again next month...

No Dini on Detective in November, either, but that's only a one-month break. Besides, the fill-in issue for that doesn't sound so terrible (a writer I've never heard of, but it's a story with Doctor Phosphorus and Rupert Thorne, and anything which harks back to Steve Englehart's 'Tec run can't be all bad, surely?), while the Ostrander-penned 4-parter which is interrupting Morrison's run doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all.

No Dini on Detective in November, either, but that's only a one-month break. Besides, the fill-in issue for that doesn't sound so terrible (a writer I've never heard of, but it's a story with Doctor Phosphorus and Rupert Thorne, and anything which harks back to Steve Englehart's 'Tec run can't be all bad, surely?), while the Ostrander-penned 4-parter which is interrupting Morrison's run doesn't sound like my sort of thing at all.

It disrupts the return of the Joker! :icon_evil: We get the jokers return, then a 2 month break.

(a writer I've never heard of, but it's a story with Doctor Phosphorus and Rupert Thorne, and anything which harks back to Steve Englehart's 'Tec run can't be all bad, surely?)

That Dr Phosphorus story creeped me right out when I was a kid. Australia got Batman comics in black & white reprint albums back then, and I'd always skip past the Dr Phosphorus story when I re-read that issue. :blush: It's pretty tame now, of course.

Inspired by the quality of the latest issue of Superman, I downloaded the OYL arcs for Superman and Batman....

Batman OYL is, as Mark was saying at the time, the business - Batman & Robin stomping psychos together, with Gordon back in the office and Bullock on the streets. When this was coming out monthly, there was quite a bit of moaning about the Dent bits but I can't say I saw anything wrong with them myself, the flashback scenes near the end sorted that all out quite nicely. I'll pick this up in trade, defo, good stuff.

It's almost a shame that Robinson didn't stay on as the Great White Shark thing was a nice set-up for a good run I reckon.

It's almost a shame that Robinson didn't stay on as the Great White Shark thing was a nice set-up for a good run I reckon.

I'd agree with that, although the "almost" is important - I'm quite happy with Morrison and Dini for now, thanks DC!

The Great White Shark twist came out of nowhere in the context of a stand-alone arc, but if Robinson had continued, it could have become quite an interesting development (particularly for those readers, like myself, who rather enjoyed Dan Slott's flawed-but-largely-entertaining Arkham Asylum: Living Hell). As it is, I'd imagine he'll be forgotten about apart from the occasional one- or two-panel reference (like the one in Dini's first issue of 'Tec), which is a shame.

I actually think Dini might do something with the Great White Shark. I'm sure this maybe be nothing, but Batman does mention him in Dini's first issue. It's more of a throw away mention, but I'm just saying that the Great White Shark doesn't seem to be completely forgotten.

Hmmmmmmm....

Dini has said that his run won't be as standalone as it first appears, think I'll try to pick up the two issues I skipped when I'm down the shop next week.

Hmmmmmmm....

Dini has said that his run won't be as standalone as it first appears, think I'll try to pick up the two issues I skipped when I'm down the shop next week.

After reading the first four Dini issues (he's batting three for four so far, which isn't bad going - it's certainly doing more for me than the Morrison run has been), it seems pretty clear that there is a larger "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in" story going on with the Riddler in the background. I'll be interested to see if any other continuing subplots develop.

Batman & Son: Part 4

Why Grant?...Why?...

It wasn't very good, was it? I dashed off a quick review in the 'weekly comics' thread - the 'Batrocket' scene was aces, everything else, markedly less so.

Whoops! My review was in Mick's Bat-thread. I moved it.

Batman #658-The end of Grant Morrison's first story-arc.

Well, that was hardly original! I expected far more from a Morrison comic book.

This was a fine, action-packed finish to a Batman story....but it could've been written by any Batman writer. Really a Batman story by the numbers. Disappointing.

The scene where Batman revealed the Batrocket to his son was funny, but a lot of writers can get away with one funny comment each issue.

Hopefully Grant will stop playing it so safe and get more wild and crazy on this book. This story-arc showed promise until this final chapter, when he decided to just go the easy route.

This story-arc showed promise until this final chapter, when he decided to just go the easy route.

You think? I've been pretty solidly underwhelmed by the whole arc, and this issue was just more of the same.

Next issue is the return of the Joker. Hopefully he will mind shockingly scary like Morrison said.

That was shite, and I've dropped the title. Y'all have covered most of the bases when it comes to detailing how it was shite, but no-one seems to have mentioned how padded it is. Look at all the huge panels with fuckall in them. What is this, a comic for pre-schoolers?

The scene where Batman revealed the Batrocket to his son was funny,

Your unintentional double entendre was funnier than that weak rocket sequence, imho.

And check out page 22, panel 1: "You set all this up?" Fucking DUH. Batman truly is the world's greatest detective. :icon_rolleyes:

HA!

Yes, that ending was very weak! I forgot to mention that the ending of the issue was explicitly weak.

Man, Morrison was taking over all these titles, and I was so excited because I couldn't wait to get all this Morrison goodness every month. Now, I'm down to only caring about Authority and All-Star Superman. I have absolutely no idea at this point if Authority will actually be any good or not either.

Morrison really needs to start making some more deals with the Devil, because the demons he's got churning out his workload are seriously dogging it.

I'd be pissed off if I knew my soul was damned to eternal damnation if this was how things were going to end up.

Apparently the four-issue Ostrander/Mandrake fill-in story has been shifted forward - the next issue (#659) will now be the first part of that, and Morrison's next issue (with guest art by someone who isn't Andy Kubert) will follow that in February.

Which has convinced me to just drop it now, rather than hang around for that one last chance which I shouldn't really bother giving it anyway. Thanks, DC!

Goddamnit, Mark! :icon_evil:

I was really looking forward to seeing how he portrays the Joker and what the Joker does with his return. Bad move DC.

Goddamnit, Mark! :icon_evil:

Hey, it's not my fault!

Between this and that waste of a fill-in issue of Detective, this Batman reload is stumbling a bit.

As long as Dini keeps on keeping on then there is hope.