TestosteRohne

Batman Reloaded

Apparently the four-issue Ostrander/Mandrake fill-in story has been shifted forward - the next issue (#659) will now be the first part of that, and Morrison's next issue (with guest art by someone who isn't Andy Kubert) will follow that in February.

Perversely, that'll convince me to stick around for another issue, because I liked Ostrander & Mandrake's work on the Batman titles a decade or two ago. I'm curious to see what their stuff is like now.

Mind you, their earlier work might only have seemed good in comparison to the tripe Dixon, Moench, Aparo et al were phoning in at the time. ;)

I liked Ostrander & Mandrake's work on the Batman titles a decade or two ago. I'm curious to see what their stuff is like now.

Oh, hang on - what did they do? You've vaguely jogged my memory, but google isn't helping me much, and I can't be bothered to go digging into my back issue boxes.

EDIT: Never mind, I remembered what I was thinking of - Ostrander wrote the 'Dark Genesis' arc in Detective Comics #622-624, which did indeed stand out above the generally mediocre Moench/Aparo Batman/'Tec stuff from around that era, but wasn't quite up to the standards of the superlative Grant/Breyfogle 'Tec run which had just ended in #621 (or, indeed, their not-quite-as-good run on Batman, which started the same month as Ostrander's Tec story).

Hmm. I don't think I've changed my mind about dropping the title - the solicitation and interviews don't really make it sound like something I'm dying to spend my money on - but we'll have to see. If a downloaded preview of the first issue reveals it to be decent, I'm sure my local store will still have a couple of spare issues left.

DC shouldn't have advertisted the Joker arc starting next issue in the last issue.....

Dini taking one month off isn't bad.

Morrison & Kubert were already a few weeks late with the last issue of Batman.

Here's a preview of the Ostrander/Mandrake arc.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Nov06/previews/nov22.html

Not bad. The art is good, but the story just sounds boring. I don't think I will be buying this arc and will just hope that Morrison comes back kicking all kinds of ass with the return of the Joker.

Apparently the four-issue Ostrander/Mandrake fill-in story has been shifted forward - the next issue (#659) will now be the first part of that, and Morrison's next issue (with guest art by someone who isn't Andy Kubert) will follow that in February.

Which has convinced me to just drop it now, rather than hang around for that one last chance which I shouldn't really bother giving it anyway. Thanks, DC!

Drats...

So much for the Joker double bill...

The first issue of the Ostrander/Mandrake arc (Batman 659) was okay. Script was accessible, but felt like it was nothing new; art was distinctive but not really to my tastes. There's nothing bad about the comic, just nothing good enough to get me to track down the next issue. The word "filler" springs to mind.

Well, I know I complained about Dini using the Joker, but I was wrong. This was a really good Joker story. It had me laughing in quite a few places, even though when you think about it, you realize you shouldn't be laughing at what's happening. Very dark humour, as the Joker should be written.

I was thinking about dropping Detective, but this issue convinced me to keep buying, especially since Scarface is going to be featured in the next issue! :D

Bah! Dead is dead, I don't want to see Scarface again... but seems like a new ventriloquist... ahh well.

But yeah, Christian, I agree, very awesome issue. I'm not too much of a Joker fan... okay, maybe a good bit... but I wasn't to thrill hearing that Dini was going to use him altho I knew that Dini could provide us with the awesome dialogue that he's written in the show.

And man, very killer and psycho indeed. Can't wait for Dini to tackle Harvey!!!

edit: there, changed. All better now, Mark? :) ;)

Robin arguing with Joker over a Marx Bros. skit was brilliant.

On of the best bits of the issue came from Robin: "One chance to do this fast. Don't make jokes. Just go "Batman" on his ass"

The URL says that's a picture of Victora Hervey.

By applying my Batman-like deductive skills, I'd say it's playing off of Balty's typo?

Oh.

Haha, thanx for the heads up, I was extremely confused with that and didnt notice the typo... :lol:

Yep, leave it to Mark to make me feel dumb :laugh:

That was a really good issue of Detective, and the Joker genuinely creeped me out. It was obvious that Tim was going to get away the whole time, cause it seemed unlikely that the Joker was going to kill another Robin, but the issue was still really tense and exciting.

The Joker is probably the Batman villain who scares me the most, when he's done well, and he was here.

Yeah, that was pretty much as good as I'd expected it to be. Dini was responsible for the best version of the Joker since the '70s, so an issue which was, essentially, a more violent, Joker-centric episode of Batman: The Animated Series, complete with note-perfect funny/creepy Joker dialogue, decent characterisation of Robin, and a premise which, while not actively repeating it, reminded me of the best Joker story of the past decade-and-a-half, Gotham Central: Soft Targets, would have had to try hard not to appeal to me.

In light of Morrison's crushingly-disappointing, recently-dropped Batman, it's nice to still have a consistently-excellent Batman story to read every month.

Yeah, Detective 826 was great stuff. Clever premise, good script. The art was a little stiff — faces in particular were unconvincing — but the script made the art's shortcomings easy to ignore. Way to do a one-shot.

The only pages where I had a real problem with the art were those showing the flashback to Tim, Dick and Bruce hanging out, chilling and training. Dick Grayson (early-20s) and Bruce Wayne (mid-to-late-30s) shouldn't be virtually interchangeable, ferfooxache!

Aside from that, I'm still reasonably happy with Kramer's art on this title. It's nothing remarkable, but he's helped by a decent colourist and, a few niggles aside, he's a strong and consistent storyteller (which immediately places him ahead of Kubert's work over on Batman). I was particularly impressed by his Joker this time out - he really nailed the rictus grin in a way that lots of artists seem to have trouble with.

Ummmm I know you guys always disagree with me and you all figure I must be a tasteless boor by now, but I just read the first issue of Morrison's run on Batman and I really liked it.

One issue, I know, three more in the pile and it may go downhill, but the art reminded me somewhat of Neal Adam's stuff, which was my favorite ever Batman year until Miller did his Year One arc.

The opening pages with the Joker, Gordon's dialogue on the hospital bed, and Alfred's primping Wayne before the fundraiser were all spot on by my measuring stick. I was only going to read one but I'm at work and reading them on a website and decided on an early lunch cos I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Excelsior!

'I'll hold them off, you run.

Sounds good on paper'

Plus a katana in his hand and some great panel layouts. The second issue was excellent.

As I was reading the bratty kid in the third issue throwing a tantrum scene, I asked myself how I'd handle it. 'Enough! You dishonor your sensei with this lack of composure!' was great; as a student of karate we hear this kind of thing all the time at our dojo. Excellent way to handle junior's outburst. Calling dress up crime 'novelty crime' was fun too. A full page with a dismembered head (did I use dismembered correctly?) stuffed mouth and all.

The fourth and climactic final issue of the arc was a bit of a letdown, but I was expecting much worse after the reviews on this site.

I think everyone was a big fan of Morrison's Batman at the first issue. Then people slowly lost interest, until they all decided to drop the book.

I thought the first story-arc was good until the final issue, which was a HUGE let down! Talk about a comic book written by-the-numbers! Not a bad read, just the very definition of average, which isn't something often said of Morrison.

But, I still have hopes for Morrison's Batman.