Mr. Tom Willecome

The Denise Mina thread

'Fraid not - this is just a flying visit, to Durham. It's my ex-flatmates' housewarming party, and a whole bunch of my mates from University are all going to be congregating there, so I'm heading over for the weekend.

Malin and I'll still be coming to London for a week or more in October, though, so if you fancy meeting up then, I'd be well up for it. I'll drop you a private communication with times and dates.

I'm going to see Girls Against Boys in Koko.

Looks like it's going to be an in and out jobbie though Ade.

I will make the effort to come up to Loondon some weekend soon though.

Get. The. Fuck. In!!!!!!

Indeed.

Any word on the artist?

The Artist is Antonio Fuso.

Here’s the content information from Mina’s website:

<<This story came out of King Lear and rollicking house prices in Britain.

Nothing divides families as completely as a legacy squabbled over. Good kind friends can become avaricious and spiteful when confronted with money to divide among themselves. For lots of families their inheritance comes from their parent’s houses, their tiny kingdoms and I thought how like Lear it all was, how avarice brings out an ugly, unfamiliar sides in all of us. The fact that property prices are rising so fast in parts of the UK ups the stakes, literally. Enormous, unthinkable amount of money can be involved and families can be ripped apart by the house they grew up in, the houses that their parents worked hard to buy so that they would have something to leave.

It could have been called ‘Legacy’ but that doesn’t connote stabbing and decay and inexplicable fires just as well, does it?>>

Get. The. Fuck. In!!!!!!

She's also doing a couple of talks in Harrogate this week but our token Tyke won't go.

If only there were such events in London :-S

Mick, you're on standby !

Look, I might not post in the comics bit much, but I'm still hurt to be forgotten! :laugh:

DENISE MINA: I was offered Hellblazer and jumped at the chance. People on the Hellblazer boards warned me that I’d meet with a lot of prejudice from non-comic fans and I didn’t believe them, to be honest. We’re the generation who grew up loving and valuing comics after all. It turns out they were right. In status terms it’s probably been a disaster, but I’ve always been a seedy underbelly kind of gal anyway. You have to do what you love and I didn’t want to play with those Oxbridge wanks anyway.

Now I feel like a dick for some of the moaning I did about her last issue. Bugger.

I've got a question that's really apropos to nothing, other than the purchasing of books v. getting them from the library.

Do authors see any moneys when a book is taken out from a lending library? Other than whatever they got from the purchase of that book by the library, i mean.

I was wondering if there is something like musicians get from Radio play, for authors and librarys. Is there at least a way for publishers to track how popular books are at places like that?

I've just been to the library and got out Sanctum and The Field Of Blood.

Have you read the Garnethill trilogy Pooka? I liked them a lot but haven't yet read Sanctum and The Field Of Blood, let me know what you think of those two.

No, they had the second and third parts, but Garnethill was on loan, so I decided to wait for that first.

Denise Mina writes in the View

Newsroom Staff

AWARD-WINNING crime writer Denise Mina has written an exclusive short story for the Celtic View, the official weekly magazine of Celtic Football Club.

‘The Human Pyramid’ tells the story of a Glasgow mother and how she encourages her son’s football talents, even amidst a difficult domestic situation.

And the Glasgow writer, whose novels include The Field of Blood, The Dead Hour, Sanctum and the Garnethill trilogy, is delighted to have contributed to the only club magazine she ever wanted to write for!

Denise Mina said: “The short story gets so few outings and it's a joy to try and write for an audience with such a specific scope of interest. Also I could include my Celtic fans friends' names and put them in my debt for ever.

“The Celtic View is bringing short stories and writers to an audience who might not come across them otherwise, and it legitimises fiction to an audience who might not feel it's anything to do with them.

“And if that gets people writing themselves so much the better. I'm sure that the best story tellers never write because they think fiction is nothing to do with what they're interested in.”

Celtic View editor Paul Cuddihy added: “Denise Mina is a great signing for the Celtic View and she has written a very soulful and warm story that I’m sure our readers will enjoy.

“She joins an illustrious list of writers who have already contributed short stories to the magazine such as Des Dillon, Chris Dolan, Louise Welsh, Laura Marney, and Bernard MacLaverty.

“We’re really proud that the Celtic View provides a platform for new writing. Celtic supporters have grown up in a culture of storytelling and our aim is to continue and encourage this through the magazine.”

You can read Denise Mina’s exclusive short story, ‘The Human Pyramid’, only in the Celtic View. On sale from Wednesday, August 30.

Also in next week's View, a FREE 16-page Champions League pull-out with the lowdown on all our European opponents.

And exclusive interviews with new signings Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink AND Lee Naylor.

Denise Mina image courtesy of The Herald & Evening Times picture archive.

Denise Mina writes in the View

Newsroom Staff

AWARD-WINNING crime writer Denise Mina has written an exclusive short story for the Celtic View, the official weekly magazine of Celtic Football Club......

Hmm may have to look out for this.

I was a one-time subscriber to Pravda - sorry, The View - but stopped because, well, it's shit.

Don't know where I'll find it in London though.

I'm sure there's some kind of Bhoy's Ex-pat club in Laaaandaaan for all you sweaty rock cakes.

Hell, if Cardiff City can have one, I'm sure you can.

I'm sure there's some kind of Bhoy's Ex-pat club in Laaaandaaan for all you sweaty rock cakes.

I'm sure there is, but generally I steer clear of them. I can be a bit of a snob when it comes to knuckle-dragging, XXXL-size replica-kit wearing, "let's all bomb London" chanting* tattooed fuckwits.

*At the recent Chelsea / Celtic match I sat beside a TFW who was actually chanting "Let's all bomb London". As this was the night before the latest Terror Alert (copyright New Labour 2006) if there's any justice in the world I hope his flight to Glasgow was horrendously delayed. And that he was subject to a blunt invasion of his body cavities.

I think we need to save her from JILLY COOPER proximity on this website

http://www.literature-map.com/denise+mina.html

Seriously, how can Ian Rankin be so far away while the horsey posh bint is Mina's closest connection?

ARE THEY MAD?

More importantly, how can Ian Rankin be so close to Carl Hiassen and Christopher Brookmyer be nowhere to be seen?

There's an interesting interview with Denise Mina over at CBR in which she talks about her final Hellblazer arc as well as an upcoming project at Verigo.

Well we get Rankin, maybe, at some point and tv gets Mina.....

INSPECTOR John Rebus may be about to meet his match. A hard- bitten Scots hack is poised to take on the whisky-swilling Edinburgh sleuth as the star of a new BBC detective series. Paddy Meehan, the journalist-cum-amateur investigator created by Denise Mina, the Glasgow author, is being lined up for a network series.

[ More ]