JohnMcMahon

100 Bullets Trade Thread

Well, Lou was right about needing to read 3 before 4. Something huge happened between Graves and Shepard and all the Minutemen died and I have no idea what it was.

That's OK. After 75 issues we still don't really know what happened in Atlantic City.

Yeah Spider, don't worry. That stuff wasn't covered in the third book. Really, basically everything that happens in Hang Up On the Hang Low doesn't impact the main narrative of the story at all until the seventh book. Trust me (oh, pun so definitely intended).

Guest spiderlegs

Right on, I went ahead and finished it. Do we meet Daniel, or the others on the Trust before the 4th trade (except for the blonde from the second trade)? That was a little confusing...

Nope. Aside from Megan Deitrich, who we see in the first book (along with the shadowy figure of Augustus Medici, who she speaks to on the phone in #5), this is the first time we see any of the members of the Trust.

Guest spiderlegs

Right on, but I must say, one of Azarello's problems (or a problem I have with his writing) is the way he introduces characters. Sometimes it works, but often it's confusing and clumsily executed. I'm still digging the series, but I hate that aspect of his characterization: is it laziness? Is he too hurried? Is it just his way? What's the deal?

You mean the way they're introduced makes you feel like you've kinda missed a few issues? Nah, I get the feeling too. You're right, sometimes it's very hit-and-miss, and I was really confused with the issue where the Trust introduced at first as well. But overall, I think for a series like this, it kinda works.

Guest spiderlegs

Well, it's definitely fast-paced, especially for a "noir" tale. He might introduce characters that way in the interest of pacing, but it backfires--it definitely backfired on him while he wrote for HB. The intro of Lucky (and his unfortunate demise) was WAY fucked up, as well as several other characters.

True. Fortunately, the Azz takes a different approach in 100 Bullets (probably because he has a lot more time to flesh out his characters). You'll see that he usually introduces a character, and then comes back to build on them. I find that it works, even if it seems a bit odd, at first.

I've only read the first 7 trades, but so far my favorite is "The Counterfifth Detective."

For some reason, despite it's cheesiness and clumsy imitation of Spillane, I really dug it.

I still don't really understand what the hell happened, but damn did I enjoy it.

I do tire of Risso's renditions of women. Every single one of them has 48DDD breasts, even the old bats.

I don't like feeling as though I need to jerk off in the midst of a crime drama.

And the glow-in-the-dark smiles are getting tiresome.

Oh, and I definitely prefer Grant Goleash on colors over Patricia Mulvihill--- her palette's too bright and not nearly noirish enough.

Azzarello does a pretty decent job mixing up the stories and yet having them all loosely cohere into a larger plot. The dialogue, particularly the racial/racist street slang is a little much.

Enjoyable, but I'm glad I didn't spend money to read them.

Guest spiderlegs

I just finished The Counterfifth Detective and was duly unimpressed. It reminded me a little of Marv in the first SIN CITY trade. It was definitely an homage to many of its noir predecessors, was it not? Spillane, Bukovsky, Miller...

And was that supposed to be a twist at the end? It didn't twist enough to be a headslapper: "Oooooh!" Nope, none of that. I still haven't found the 3rd trade yet, so I'm not going to read ahead anymore until I get it.

Probably the right choice - if I recall correctly, the next volume is about the point where characters/plot threads from Hung Up On The Hang Low start to become significant again.

The next trade, Six Feet under The Gun, is one of my favourites in the series so far, though, so you've got that to look forward to. In fact, of the trades you've yet to read, only Vol.7 is less than PURE ACENESS.

Seriously, 100 Bullets definitely has a Star Trek-style curse of having every odd-numbered trade be underwhelming and every even one great.

Actually, Strychnine Lives might have been all right. It's the only one whose stories I can't remember - even though it's also the only one I own!

Seriously, 100 Bullets definitely has a Star Trek-style curse of having every odd-numbered trade be underwhelming and every even one great.

That definitely works as a generalisation, but it falls apart slightly if you look at it too closely. The first trade isn't bad, Hung Up On The Hang Low is damn good, and Strychnine Lives is fucking excellent (the latter two are both better than Split Second Chance, for a start).

For my money, what it boils down to is just that The Counterfifth Detective and Samurai are both pretty ropey, which makes the odd-numbered books look worse than they are.

Guest spiderlegs
I thought the twist at the end of Counterfifth was funky, having Lono kill his only real friend was a class moment.

Where was it revealed they were 'real" friends? I know they were both "minutemen" but I didn't think any of them rubbed off on each other... :huh:

That definitely works as a generalisation, but it falls apart slightly if you look at it too closely. The first trade isn't bad, Hung Up On The Hang Low is damn good, and Strychnine Lives is fucking excellent (the latter two are both better than Split Second Chance, for a start).

It's a matter of opinion, obviously, but I was - as I said - underwhelmed by the first book (with the exception of the surprising death in the second story) and didn't care much for the third.

What were the stories in Strychnine Lives, again? Pray for Reign? Any others?

Where was it revealed they were 'real" friends? I know they were both "minutemen" but I didn't think any of them rubbed off on each other... :huh:

Lono mentions it in the next issue I think.

I didn't like Counterfifth as much the first time, but upon re-reading it it makes a bit (just a tiny bit) more sense.

James, the stories in Strychnine Lives were:

The Calm:

Where Lono and Loop head to Chicago to recruit Victor

Staring at the Son:

A bunch of plots go on, involving the Trust, Branch, Cole and that drug dealer named Spain.

The Dive:

Jack bumps into Agent Graves and tries to force the man to change his mind about giving him the attaché.

New Tricks:

Lono deals with problems in the Trust, while Victor and Loop plan to take out another member.

Love Let Her:

Benito and Branch try to track down Dizzy, who's mourning the loss of Shepherd out in the desert with Wylie.

The Calm

Don't remember it.

Staring at the Son

Totally lame. Don't try to throw in self-aware meta-commentary on how shit the padding subplot was, Azzarello, just do your damn job properly.

The Dive

Padded to hell.

New Tricks

Don't remember it.

Love Let Her

Yeah, that one was all right.

Cheers, man.

Intro for the computer game, surely? Voice acting's not up to much. And Cole sounds far too young, even if it is a flashback. Grimes is pretty good, though I imagined him to sound older and less imposing.

Best title pun yet. Beyond that, I've got no idea, since last week's delivery was delayed. Hopefully, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

I thought it was ok; better than the last 2 trades.

At this point I can see most of Azz's twists and tricks coming. I knew who the final minuteman would be, and the story revolving around him was one of the weaker "wake up" stories of the lot.

The Argentinian gangsters were a lame red-herring-turned-prime-suspects. Just re-reading Spidey's comments at the top of this page about Azz's penchant for jumping ahead in stories and his oft-times wonky introductions of characters, the gaucho gangsters definitely serve as another example of a poor execution/establishment of characters. I can't stand it when one character essentially explains away another character(s) and that's all the info we get about them. It feels less "real." Sort of like, "hey those guys were bad men and behind the theft of my meat---- take my word for it."

The awakening of Remi was similarly devoid of on-screen development. We have to assume that he heard his friend say "Croatoa" and was awakened off-screen before re-appearing to fuck up the thieves. Not a stretch, but in the past everyone who's been activated usually reacted immediately to hearing or seeing the word Croatoa---- immediately. Obviously, Azz and Risso didn't show us the activation this time so that we'd continue to think the submerged minuteman was Remi's brother and not Remi, but it was a lazy, uninspired way of going about it.

I did enjoy Jack and Lono's battles and I think (I think) I'm beginning to understand where everyone's allegiances lie (or at least where they appear to lie).

So, let's see if I can name all the current minutemen:

Dizzy (the Girl), Loop (the Boy), Victor (the Rain), Jack (the Monster), Lono (the Dog), Cole (the Wolf), Wylie (the Point-Man), Agent Philip Graves, and ____ Rome.

Since Lono's the new Warlord, that means there's one extra minuteman, so someone will probably die pretty soon. I'm assuming the series will end at issue #100, so these next 25 issues will hopefully be the shit.