Mark

The Walking Dead

King Mob    0

Yup...another one who's just bought the first trade over 'ere!!!

Fucking great stuff!

Anyone know how many issues it's likely to run for? (assuming there's an answer out there of course).

Roll on Vol. 2 :cool:

JohnMcMahon    562

As you might have guessed from the quality of the writing, Kirkman really does love the Walking Dead and has spoken about writing it for as long as possible in the letter cols - he wants to do at least a 100 issues.

JohnMcMahon    562
I dont remember the girl getting attacked or bit by Zombies once.. So either she was knocked out, or something thought her trying to attack her dad in a Zombie like fashion, Didnt really make me think that she wasnt a zombie. The story is going good. I am really awaiting #15 to see how or what happened. Perhaps she was bitten when no one was around to hear her scream. Though I dont recall her Hiding any wounds or anything.. So who knows..

Managed to miss this post altogether - sorry man.

I reckon this is a slightly disappointing cliffhanger as it makes perfect sense to me for your one to lunge forward when she realises that she isn't dead.

wolvy    57

Well I know she wasnt trying to give him a hug. She was aiming to bite his neck, and making the sounds most of the zombies make when they see or try to attack a person.

It is a rather disapointing cliff hanger. Like I said No where in the book, was the girl biten or killed by zombies. But then again Who knows. If you go to Images website and look at Kirkmans forum. It will show a picture for the cover of #19 which shows a girl with two chained zombies(They are missing their lower jaws and their arms) and she also has a Katana blade with her. She looks similiar to the girl who died.. So maybe Kirkman is going to make her like that Pink Haired girl from "Return of the living Dead" how she is a zombie, but doesnt act like them or something. I'm just pulling these guesses out of my ass. So I could be dead wrong.

Another thing is Kirkman said a good jumping off point would #79 or #80. Thats when UFO's,aliens and anal probing gets involved in the story.

JohnMcMahon    562

I was discounting it as disappointing as I'd rationalised it away in my mind - I could well be wrong though.

The obvious suggestion was that the rules, as we know them, were wrong - she's the first main character to die on-screen, from non zombie inflicted wounds - so maybe all that we know is arse ?!?

My gut tells me that she was badly hurt by the gun shot but then suddenly regained conciousness while her father leant over her - causing her to suddenly lunge forward.

wolvy    57

That could be.. But usually people dont lunge at the person holding them when they get wounded pretty badly. I woulda expected her to say "Dad...Is..that.You?" Kinda like how when John when to get Chas in Hellblazer.. Chas didnt lunge at him.. Though he did say he was gonna kill John is it was his fault..lol

wolfram    1

Well, in the letter pages, he confirms that Julie is indeed dead.

I just got finished reading issue 14. Man! What a great series. I just picked it up now---1-9 last night, 10-14 this morning. And last weekend was a big catchup on 30 Days of Night. I read all of the 30 Days minis and the first 3 issues of the ongoing. Maybe someone should start a 30 Days thread?

wolfram    1

Are we officially discussing future issue spoilers here? Because if we are, I'd better make my way out. I don't want to know anything that's going to happen, even if it is up on Previews or a website or somesuch.

JohnMcMahon    562

Nothing beyond cover scans I think, Kirkman is very careful with his Image solicitations and they're normally terribly vague but better safe and all that.

With that said - what a fucking aces cover!

Mark    332

That kicks all sorts of arse.

Add my voice to the 'no upcoming spoilers' cry. Discussing issues once they've been released is OK, but I'd rather not find out what's going to happen before I've at least had the chance to pick up the issue.

#14 was aces, incidentally. Again.

King Mob    0

EEEP!

Sorry if I gave anyone spoiler willies!

Been looking at Tony Moore's covers over on his website and fell in love with that one immediately (they all seem pretty vague. Bit of zombie here. Some fella's hand there). Don't think it gives too much away, other than there being a new character to look forward to in the next few months.

Incidentally, I'm only up to issue six myself, so another hand up here for keeping major spoilers on the hush hush.

James    38

I'll pick up the second volume next Friday, on my quest for shoes.

I hate buying shoes.

wolvy    57

I hate Clothe shopping because when I go. I go with my grandma and she takes HOURS looking ang trying on random crap. Usually when I buy something. I KNOW what i want, I see it, I grab it, I buy, end of journey. Unless I'm shopping for back issues or trades at a comic-con..

Anyways. I really like the way Kirkman is going with this book. I really want to see if or how the girl became a zombie.

wolfram    1

So that's *not* our recently-gunshot galpal on the cover? *blink* Coulda fooled me. That's one thing I'm not liking---the B&W. Sometimes it makes it hard for me to distinguish things. Like, for two issues I was confused about whether or not in certain scenes they were showing the old guy who's shacking up with the young girl in the RV, or the old farmer man. And when there were three blondes in the cast, forget it. But I have issues with big casts. I get everyone all mixed up.

ETA: OK, on second look, I guess they do have different hairstyles---although it could be her braids just blowing in a different direction.

JohnMcMahon    562
Usually when I buy something. I KNOW what i want, I see it, I grab it, I buy, end of journey.

For this is indeed how Men shop!

Granted the result is usally a dodgy wardrobe of ill-fitting clothes but sure we are what we are.

I think the only thing missing from the Walking Dead was a dreadlocked, katana wielding woman with zombie slaves so that's all the bases covered now.

Rogan    176
For this is indeed how Men shop!

Granted the result is usally a dodgy wardrobe of ill-fitting clothes but sure we are what we are.

heh... that commenty made me think of Tim from Spaced...

Mark    332

Kirkman really is pulling off some of the most effective cliffhangers I've ever read, month on month. I enjoyed reading the first two trades, but I'm really digging how this reads monthly. Definitely the best way to read it, inconsistent publishing schedule aside.

JohnMcMahon    562

Yeah - to pick the Carl shooting that Mob just touched on - when that happened at the end of whatever issue it was I was totally taken aback and gagging for the next chapter and that wait between issues just added to the sense of anticipation.

The shooting really came from nowhere, especially as it followed on from the crew suffering a fatality earlier in that issue and the the fact that it was following on from another corking cliffhanger ("All dead").

Mark    332

I wish I'd jumped onto this title earlier, but then again, the trades are very cheap. Swings, roundabouts...

I liked the hints he made in the letters page (a letters page! An honest-to-God letters page! Why did DC get rid of them - why?) about what's coming up. 'Bad' survivors...obvious but still appealing. I'm looking forward to some tension with the prisoners (and I'd give good odds on at least one of them not being what he seems - the most likely bet right now would be the nerdy tax fraud guy, but that may well be a double bluff), and the "we're not even close to the WAR yet" teaser on the final letter page has me frothing at the crotch in anticipation.

King Mob    0

The 'All Dead' cliffhanger was fantastic. Beautifully done. And I really did not see Carl's shooting coming at all. I was quite honestly open mouthed when I was reading it on the train home.

Finished the trade now though, and they've just discovered the clink :biggrin: yum!