Mark

The Walking Dead

wolvy    57

It could be a Toilet or could be dead bodies.. We prolly wont find out for awhile.

Mark    332

We didn't find out. But further ominousness abounds...

Looks like you guys were wrong about the ending of last month's issue - the unbitten dead are returning to life, as confirmed with a rather nice nod back to the events of the first few issues. It was an excusable misinterpretation, though - the slightly-hurried pacing at the start of this issue meant that I wasn't sure myself until about halfway through the book, and there's still considerable room for doubt about the issue, all things considered.

Another fantastic shock ending (although again, the pacing felt a little uneven - that's very much a first impression on a fast readthrough, though, so take it with a pinch of salt), and a few more deaths this month - Kirkman really seems to be trimming down the supporting cast of the book considerably, which isn't a bad thing. I like the large cast of characters, but it was getting a little unwieldy, and the occasional cull helps to keep things unpredictable. It looks like all is far from well in the prison, and I'm looking forward to where it's going - it's not clear if the prisoners are hiding some truly nasty secret (although I'm pretty sure they are - their explanation of what happened to the guards and the other prisoners was far too convenient, and that "toilet" screams "Pile of bodies! Pile of bodies!" to me), or if treachery has struck from within the established group. Or, of course, both/neither of the above.

Excellent stuff, overall. I just hope they can stick to the monthly schedule for a while...

Mark    332

I may remove the spoiler code in a few days, when everyone's had a chance to read the issue. But since most UK-based types won't get the chance to read it until this evening at the very earliest, it seemed like the thing to do.

Kris    0
I may remove the spoiler code in a few days, when everyone's had a chance to read the issue. But since most UK-based types won't get the chance to read it until this evening at the very earliest, it seemed like the thing to do.

I just bought issue 15 and once again, i had to pick my jaw up off the floor....

Just a shame Kirkman doesn't get these issues out fast enough, i am dying to see who the samurai sword-wielding woman is on the cover of issue 17

Mark    332

It's yet another great cliff-hanger, isn't it?

Any idea who killed the girls? The obvious answer would be one of the prisoners, maybe the suspicious "tax evasion" guy, but I'm not sure that isn't misdirection. Maybe someone from within the established group? That'd be gratifyingly fucked-up...

Kris    0
It's yet another great cliff-hanger, isn't it?

Any idea who killed the girls? The obvious answer would be one of the prisoners, maybe the suspicious "tax evasion" guy, but I'm not sure that isn't misdirection. Maybe someone from within the established group? That'd be gratifyingly fucked-up...

An emphatic YES

P.S Think we should discuss these spoiler theories more once people like yourself, Wolvy and John McMahon read issue #15...i have my own ideas who is behind what you've mentioned above but in the meantime, i shall keep it to myself until another time.

wolvy    57

Did it explain how Tyreeses Daughter became Zombified? I havent read the issue yet, wont be able to pick up my stuff till the end of this month.

I saw a preview page for 17 or something. It said "Rick Snaps" and showed him beating the shit out of some one on the cover.

I'm possibly thinking about canning Iron man. As much as i enjoy ellis's writing. I just dont feel Iron man is a worthy title to keep waiting for..

Kris    0
Did it explain how Tyreeses Daughter became Zombified? I havent read the issue yet, wont be able to pick up my stuff till the end of this month.

I saw a preview page for 17 or something. It said "Rick Snaps" and showed him beating the shit out of some one on the cover.

No but Rick starts theorising as a result of Tyreese's daughter returning from the dead but i am spoiling nothing here until everyone here who is interested in The Walking Dead has read the issue, however i think the next couple of issues will shed some more light around this burning issue.

All i will say is this...a major lead character looks like he's bowed out but i think the jury is still out on that one until issue 16 hits the racks...

My bad, the issue i meant was actually issue 19, as pictured on this page of Allthingszombie.com....

http://www.allthingszombie.com/comics.php

Funny to see Deadworld making a comeback too huh?, haven't read those in years.

I recently picked up the FantaCO issues of Night Of The Living Dead recently, they've aged a fair bit since way back, i remember the Night Of The Living Dead: London covers with Clive Barker's name on them when i used to buy my Grendel and Nightbreed comics way back in the mid-90s and wondering what Clive Barker cooked up there....

And then i found out a month ago after buying them on Ebay... an absolutely bloody terrible storyline, Clive Barker usually comes up with better stuff than that and its safe to say its one of the worst things he has ever written.

wolvy    57

I see. Right now. The Walking Dead is the best thing your going to find. Everything else. Is most likely just a gore fest...

Kris    0
I see. Right now. The Walking Dead is the best thing your going to find. Everything else. Is most likely just a gore fest...

Oh definitely, its one of the best comic series i have ever read.

That Toe Tags is a load of shite though, i do wonder what in the name of fuck George Romero is thinking of when he put pen to paper when he decided to write that load of gack.

wolvy    57

Walking dead is good. Because it doesn deal mainly with the zombies attacking people. Its more or less about the survivors an how their couping with the crap that goes on.

Hell you rarely see Zombie attacks.

I think the other "zombie" comics are mostly focused on gore,the zombies an have no real plot lines.

Kris    0
Walking dead is good. Because it doesn deal mainly with the zombies attacking people. Its more or less about the survivors an how their couping with the crap that goes on.

Hell you rarely see Zombie attacks.

I think the other "zombie" comics are mostly focused on gore,the zombies an have no real plot lines.

Its more in tune with what George Romero did with his zombie films, he breathes a bit of real life into his characters as they all hang on to the hope that this whole cataclysmic event thats turned their lives upside down will blow over soon and in the meantime, the best thing to try and do is to hang on to the remnants of their past lives in order to stop themselves from going insane. In any sense, thats likely to be anybody's reaction if such a thing happened.

And they seem to be a damn sight more real than the mindless screeching cadaver-in-waiting people with which Italian horror directors of the 70s the likes of Lucio Fulci, Bruno Mattei and Umberto Lenzi and other directors of that giallo period made their survivors out to be in their zombie movies.

Mark    332

Fantastic, isn't it?

A proper re-read relieved all my concerns about the pacing - I was just hurrying to get it finished before I had to get back to work, and I skimmed it faster than I should have.

I can't wait for #16. Or #17...and so on.

wolfram    1

I said it in the Comics I Read ... thread, but man, they REALLY upped the body count with this ish. :blink: At first I was wondering if the kids were killed as a result of some zombie escape due to Tyreese's suicide run, but then I realized it was Senor Tax Evasion. Well, probably---we haven't got a full confirm on that one, but I'm assuming so for now.

Still wondering what's in the fridge, 'cuz you know it ain't squeezy pops.

James    38

Man, I'm really feeling sorry for Mr. Farmer Man. He's going to lose his mind for sure, I reckon.

This comic just gets better and better.

Shawn    297

I just finished the first trade. Second will be very soon.

I like this series. I should have got it sooner since I like Kirkman's writing.

Tony Moore is very good and has a hint of John Romita Jr in his art.

This is everything a zombie movie should be.

My only problem is: it seemed to easy that Rick's wife, kid, and best friend just happen to be that easy to find. But it is a small problem since the rest of the story is pure gold.

wolvy    57

He didnt find them right away and too easily.

You notice that he first ran into his old neighbor,helped them out for awhile,then took a horse,and got lost in town full of zombies,then he ran into that one kid, and the kid took him to the RV camp, and thats where his wife an kid where. It made perfect sense.

Holy shit was the ending of #15 gut wrenching. My god. At first I thought it might have been Tyreese because he seemd to have "snapped" He was acting waay to calm an content for a guy who's daughter was murdered an then zombie-fied, not to mention someone who had to burn his daughters body. He was just too upbeat. But then again, He was being attacked by Zombies when the girls got murdered so it wasnt him. I suspect it could be the older sister,Though she didnt seem like one to snap,or brutally kill someone. So who knows.

Shawn    297

Just finished the 2nd trade. Just as good as the first, with great art by Charles Adlard.

The bit with the farmer and his zombie son was just harsh.

The group is going to try to live in a prison. Very interesting.

Now I am off to get the rest of the issues.

Pooka    770

Right, I've ordered the first two, by next week I should be well into this.

Shawn    297

OK I am now caught up. (yes I read fast and retain well)

The end of #15 wasexcellent but, dammit. Did not see that ending coming. I don't think any of the prisoners did it. I am thinking it was Tyreese. Think about it, it just might make sense.

James    38

Doesn't he have a pretty good alibi though? He was slightly too busy being eaten at the time, wasn't he?