Sign in to follow this  
Mark

The Walking Dead

John and I have both got it. We had a brief discussion above (one which essentially boiled down to "I :heart: Charlie Adlard" "me, too", but a discussion nonetheless). Very good issue indeed.

Ah, that was a tooth sticking out of his hand. I thought he'd somehow punched the guy so hard he'd caused a compound fracture of his finger, causing the bone to stick out. Wondered why he didn't seem too bothered.

Okayish issue, though seemingly mostly set-up for the news few storylines. Surprised to see how fast the Chinese dude (can't remember his name) got over killing the two zombie girls though.

Hmm...perhaps it was the set-up nature of the issue which appealed to me. I like the new direction the book's going in, and this issue brought it all together in a way which really worked for me. It felt like a genuine turning point, and I liked that.

It's all getting a bit bleak at the moment. I mean, even allowing for the whole "post-apocalyptic wasteland" type setting, there weren't a lot of laughs in #18, were there?

Good stuff, looking forward to next issue, yada yada yada. This book's just such a solid, predictably good read that there's not really a lot more to say.

Interesting follow-up on Rick's beat down - good to see Adlard's disturbingly awesome portrayl of the ruined hand getting such a strong payoff - hard enough to survive in a Zombie Wasteland without losing the use of your main hand into the bargain!

Thought the stuff with the son comparing his shooting dead of Shane with his dad's decision to execute the murdered was brilliant - waivered a little on the over wrought side maybe but just about got away with it, for me anyway.

It was good to finally see the katana sword-wielding character everyone's been wondering about in action finally, i like how she thinks though - cut the zombies' arms and mandibles off and uses them to throw the scent off herself so he can literally walk right past them without being bothered too much by them, not that she couldn't cut a swathe through them all anyway...definitely the hardest character we've seen so far in the Walking Dead.

Dunno about you John or Mark or anyone else who reads this but is it just me or is the artwork where the zombies are concerned a bit lazy?, they all seem to look the same, most of the time they look like they're being attacked by the zombie hordes of the National Front, these wiry vest-wearing skinheaded creatures of the undead trying to get at them all.

Anyway, can't complain too much, the Walking Dead is still way up there as one of the most consistently great comic books that i have ever read.

Walking Dead was good. The whole Dexter problem has been solved in an interesting and satisfactory fashion.

And there is just something damn cool about a woman killing zombies with a katana!

Just got the third trade...are the books coming out like RIGHT after the final issue collected is published? It seems like the books are just 2-3 issues behind the flimsies at the most...

Anyway, everything went to shit, as you all know. When I thought Tyreese was dead, my heart almost cracked in two. Thank Christ...though he definitely seems a little "off" at this point...

It's even closer than that. The third trade (collecting issues #13-18) came out a week after issue #18, and before #19 (which came out this week). It's an interesting publishing schedule - given that each 6-part story arc concludes in the monthly series at around the same time as it becomes available in trade form, readers who prefer to get a complete story in one go would be just as well-served by following the series in trade-only form. Personally, I enjoy the letter column, the covers are a nice bonus, and the cliff-hangers really give a nice edge to the experience. But it's six of one to half-a-dozen of the other, really.

It's that publishing schedule that hooked me - I tried the first issue when it came out and didn't really dig it but the strong word of mouth got me to pick up the first trade and as the very next issue was sitting next to it, I picked that up too.

While the trade won me over quite a bit, I wasn't totally sold till I read #7 and I've been picking up the single issues every week - the letter col is brill, Rob's not afraid to cop to story ideas that just didn't work (the revalation of the killer) and that kind of honesty is refreshing.

Also, for those not reading the cols, Kirkman insists that the freezer toilet is just that!

Yeah, I figured that out when they threw the killer in there last ish. Obviously sometimes a spade is, indeed, just a spade...

The publishing schedule got me too - I picked up the first trade on your recommendation, and enjoyed it well enough, but I remembered that you'd said it really picked up in Vol. 2, so I waited a couple of weeks until the second trade came out, and got that too. I was back into the shop the next day for #13, and I'd advise anyone who's reading the trades to consider the monthlies - the letter column really is worth the additional effort, especially since it usually runs to 8-9 pages each issue. Good to see such an open, engaging effort from a writer.

Haven't read this month's issue yet, 'cos the local store seems peculiarly lax at actually sorting out their stock when it arrives in-store, but I'll hopefully be getting it this week. Hopefully.

Hope failed to pay off. Hopefully this is the last month I'm going to have this problem (I've been here long enough now that the shop should have actually ordered enough copies of the books I read for me to get a copy of all of them by next month), but neither of the comic shops in Oslo got in any spare copies of #19, so I'm stuck. Is there any chance a UK-based type could pick me up a copy of it and post it over? I can transfer money to cover the cost of the issue and postage, if required, otherwise I can repay with a package of music compilations, or similar. PM me if you can help.

In the meantime, I caved in and downloaded a copy, so I could at least read it this week. Fucking hell...TOTAL ZOMBIE CARNAGE is right. The ante would appear to have been upped - further misery is clearly in the offing. I can't wait.

I'll be surprised if that isn't the major plot behind the next arc or two, personally. Kirkman really seems to be putting his 'hero' through the wringer - I'm interested to see what he's got up his sleeve for Rick. The character's gone from being the strong moral backbone of the series to a conflicted, emotionally-vulnerable wreck, and I'm curious to see where he goes from here...

Anyone pick up issue 20 this week? The issue seemed to be a bridge for bigger things to come plus the party thins out yet again. the last page had the characters thus far introduced and it said that Patricia Otit's bleeding heart girlfiend actually had a crush on Thomas the seriel killer. I just thought she let him go because she thought it was wrong to kill him. She is a ticking time bomb now that she's been ostracized from group.

I didn't like the way Kirkman turned Allen into a bumbling idiot when he'd always been a fairly intelligent (if boring) character before.

I will, of course, be interested to see where this takes his kids - hopefully Kirkman will keep them around so we can see how all this shit affects them.

I didn't like the way Kirkman turned Allen into a bumbling idiot when he'd always been a fairly intelligent (if boring) character before.

I will, of course, be interested to see where this takes his kids - hopefully Kirkman will keep them around so we can see how all this shit affects them.

Allen just about reached his breaking point. We are sure running out of kids that is for sure. My least favorite child is Rick's kid, i was sort of hoping he would die form the gunshot. There are few ticking time bombs waiting to go off that is for sure Otis, PAtricia and now it would appear Tyreese may be taking an interest in the new vistor which Carol is not very keen on. The comics is like an on going soap opera.

Bit of a sedate issue this one, or maybe I'm just spoiled/getting used to a dozen different cool things happening in every 22 odd pages. My fav part was seeing them put the knife-with-a-board plan into action which gave me a good laugh for some stupid reason.

Nice link man, hadn't noticed that the trade covers were being designed to interlock, funky.

Another good issue...bit with the kids was kinda freaky...the axe thing I kinda saw coming but it's interesting to see the characters slowly pick up on the rules of the game.

Yeah i agree, the amputation scene was pretty standard fare. I was a bit disappointed by Michonne because for a character who made an immediate impact in issue 19 as this enigmatic and tough-as-nails mystery woman who appeared out of the blue has now been exposed as, a bit of a looney tune who talks to imaginary people.

I am going to assume Michonne is either going to turn a bit Glenn Close and try to kill Carol or its going to lead to Carol doing something fatally drastic like letting the zombies into the prison, either way i think their days in that prison are slowly coming to an end as something has got to give soon....like that prison fence for example.