Sign in to follow this  
Mark

The Walking Dead

I'm starting to go off the Walking Dead, to be honest. Granted, there was a lot more happening this issue than there has been for the last couple of months, but Kirkman's still taking his sweet time about moving the plot on, and that's really getting on my tits.

#26 came out last week. I agree with James, I think (the long wait between issues isn't helping to maintain my interest, either), but I'm giving Kirkman the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer - he's insisted in the letter columns that big changes are coming over the next few issues, and that the talky, somewhat boring dynamic of the last 5-6 installments was a necessary evil to get his characters where he wants them to be for the next few years' worth of stories. I'd like a bit more action soon, though.

Might be time I jumped on board with the monthly comics as I have the four tpb published so far which takes me up to issue 24 I think.

This series needs to be bi-weekly it is reminding me more and more of Ulitmate Spiderman lots of words but there is no story resolution just cliffhangers.

This new i27 ssue is the intro into an action packed story arc. This particular issue reminds me of Land of the dead.

Darn right it was. The last issue wasn't great, but it raised my hopes that something interesting was on the way, and this upped the ante nicely. The "twist" at the end wasn't exactly a shock, but it worked anyway - there wasa wickedly atmospheric build-up of tension throughout the book, and I can't wait for the next issue.

A bit more like this, please.

Think it's been close enough to a month since the last issue now.

On a semi-related note, in the letter col for Invincible, Kirkman says he's going to releas e a COLOUR trade of the various Brit one-shots - which is smashing news as the two I read were good fun.

Glad to see that the series has a bit more of a direction again. Also liked the fact that Kirkman donated a few pages to each of the main supporting characters instead of just having the issue focus on a handful of them as he has been doing.

I think I'll probably die before this comic ever ends. I can't believe we waited this long for the next book and it really didn't expand very much beyond what had happened in the last issue. I just can't buy them rushing into that town so quickly. The Girl and the cop are extreemly careful and check things out before hand and they just didn't do that in this case.

You can already tell what will happen the doctor will help them somehow and they'll escape. I'm not quite sure why the main badguy didn't take the body armor from the captives. It just irks me that this episode will probably drag on for about 5 or 6 issues and it will take a year or more to complete.

I will say i was a bit shocked by the lost body part.

I will say i was a bit shocked by the lost body part.

What will be his/her new attachment?

Chainsaw?

Scythe?

Pointy stick?

You make a valid point Trace, what will indeed be the new attachment. I suspect the lack of any proper limb attachments will lead to a makeshift attachment of some sort. I suspect a nice hook, the chainsaw is out due to gas problems though this never stopped Ash.

Wasn't his/her hand crippled just a few issues back?

Perhaps after that altercation (crap, it's getting hard to be vague and un-spoilerish)?

It is isn't it. His hand was beyond messed up from the previous issues. I believe he just about destroyed it and without proper medical attention it probably would needed to have been amputated. This is why, i was a bit confused why he chose to head out and check out the helicopter since his hand was so badly hurt. It is difficult to tell how much time passed though from the original injury so it may have healed. This current injury is very serious and will further erode his ability to be leader because of it.

Fuck it, SPOILERS ahead:

Is it the same hand?

And even though Rick's hand healed (and assuming it's the one that didn't just get lopped off), wasn't it made into a gimp-hand? It healed, but he lost nerve/muslce control?

What if it wasn't the same hand? That would mean Rick now has one gimp-hand and one amputated hand!

Fuck it, SPOILERS ahead:

Is it the same hand?

And even though Rick's hand healed (and assuming it's the one that didn't just get lopped off), wasn't it made into a gimp-hand? It healed, but he lost nerve/muslce control?

What if it wasn't the same hand? That would mean Rick now has one gimp-hand and one amputated hand!

Spoilers don't read

No both his hands are fucked. The gimp hand was hurt in the fight and the nazi-bastard took his other one. He is just about useless in a hunter and gathering style community that they have going now in the world.

Reread a large chunk of the Walking Dead again over the weekend, the prison-stuff works a lot better in big chunks.

Rick fucked up his right hand when punching the shit out of yer man.

Two little subplots caught my eye - Otis generally being an angry little fuck (and a racist) and the curly haired convict trying his best to ingratiate himself with the old farmer man.

Nearly every scene between the two kids is real "Awwwwwwwwww!" moment.

Reread a large chunk of the Walking Dead again over the weekend, the prison-stuff works a lot better in big chunks.

I think you're right. The prison stuff is can feel relatively slow moving in comparison to all the shit that happened prior to them reaching the prison.

Two little subplots caught my eye - Otis generally being an angry little fuck (and a racist) and the curly haired convict trying his best to ingratiate himself with the old farmer man.

Did you not notice those bits before?

Guest spiderlegs

When I first read WD, it was all at once, so I rather enjoyed the prison parts and felt like they worked as both a "haunted house" and as a "haven." I also felt rather claustrophobic when I read it, and that's an effective writing gimmick for that genre.

Did you not notice those bits before?

Not really to be honest, just kind of washed over me.

Not normally one for this kind of thing but I managed to get the brother I live with to give the Walking Dead a try, shortly after he arrived in work the following exchange happened in MSN :

Steve says:

that zombie book is like fucking crack

Steve says:

was up half the night reading the bloody thing

John says:

Yep, probably my fav comic at the mo, the man does (mainly) excellent cliffhangers

Steve says:

WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!!! classic

John says:

Well that was a little clunky I thought

John says:

Both bits with his hands though!

Steve says:

i know the recent bit with his hand cut off...what other bit was there?

John says:

Punching the dude

Steve says:

oh yeah

John says:

Also, little girls with no heads

Steve says:

yeah, that one was fucked