Uriel

Constantine Rating

Tears is obviously just being a trolling [over-used word] now, so fuck him.

Glad you resorted to your intellect to express your confusion of an open discussion. I have repeatedly said this is MY OPINION. If it makes me a trolling C**T for saying what feel than I pity the society you'd create if given the chance. I fucking hate that word more than any other, not that you'd even know what it means.

I mistook your comment about the book as a petty insult designed solely to raise the ire of myself and other fans. If it was not, then I apologise. If it was, then you know what I think of you.

There is an actual plot that threads throughout the books, taking the main characters on an oddessy that introduces them to things they've never seen, feelings and emotions they've never felt. The journey challenges them to grow, it changes their ideas, their beliefs, it broadens their world. Not to be a trolling c**t, but that is a much easier storyline to adapt. It is rich with visuals, emotions, ideas and the plot is clear and relatable.

See, that's a fair enough judgement, although I disagree that no Hellblazer story has introduced John to things he's never seen, nor challenged him to adapt or change. There's a certain reliance on the reset button with the overall character arcs, but that's a limitation of the medium and type of comic. That doesn't mean you can't take emotional arcs from individual stories though: John coming to terms with his own mortality in "Dangerous Habits"; his slump into alcoholism after Kit leaves him in "Dear John"; the reality of having to kill a man in cold blood in "The Family Man" and resulting nervous breakdown in "The Bogeyman"; his descent into madness after having condemned a girl to Hell in "Newcastle" and subsequent personal redemption (sans god) in "Critical Mass". They could all work as the core of a larger film, and all can be "relateable" in the hands of a good author.

And nobody's saying you have to directly convert an existing storyline. Fear and Loathing would make a shit film, since it's only the middle part of a larger, multi-issue arc. So don't translate it. Come up with your own story and slap the character from the comic in the middle of it; he's strong enough and compelling enough to make it work.

And nobody's saying you have to directly convert an existing storyline. Fear and Loathing would make a shit film, since it's only the middle part of a larger, multi-issue arc. So don't translate it. Come up with your own story and slap the character from the comic in the middle of it; he's strong enough and compelling enough to make it work.

James, if they could come up with their own good story, screenwriters wouldn't need to latch onto books, comics, and foreign films to remake for ideas.

Actually, rereading that post from Tears, I think he/she might be saying that the LOTR novels had a 'lot more depth and substance' to play with than the Hellblazer comics do, and I couldn't disagree there.

I could. Some little bummers have a crush on each other and go on a bit of an adventure. It's fun and all but it isn't life changing. It's all pretty much black and white, good vs evil stuff (with the exception of the Boromir and Smaegol sub-plots). A ripping good yarn to be sure but hardly the complex study of morality and belief that Hellblazer can be at the top of it's game.

Hellblazer changed my life, maaaan.

what Tom said.

"Everybody's Tolkein at me, I can't hear a word they're saying..."

No-one else call Rogan, whatever he has can clearly be contracted over the phone.

too late.

James, if they could come up with their own good story, screenwriters wouldn't need to latch onto books, comics, and foreign films to remake for ideas.

But the movie's so divorced from the comic book that it might as well be its own film. Although it does owe a lot to Angel, The Exorcist etc.

LOTR was a masterwork written by one man - with one vision.  To be fair there was a hell of lot more depth and substance to use in shaping a great movie than the still ongoing Constantine series.

With Tom Bombadil prancing around calling everyone "me hearties!" Oh yeah, such depth. :biggrin:

Much as I love Hellblazer, I wouldn't say it's on the level of LOTR. Then again, not much is.

And Red, it's from Louis Royo's painting "Alone." I've had avatars from Louis Royo before , you should Google him. Some things are beautiful! But don't say something IS something. Not possibe. Opinions, okay.

Despite of my nick, I'm not nacionalist or patriotist or anything. In fact I consider Spain more like a hole of crap that tries to follow the wave when the wave's past (social, cultural and politically speaking), the only good things we have are the lifestyle and the food but that cultural identity is fading too. But when Shanice said 'Louis Royo', as if he were French or something... It's Luis Royo; save the O. Luis Royo is from Zaragoza, a lost spot in the map of Spain surrended by Monegros desert, in the province of Aragón, forgotten by spanish society (true: there is a non gubernamental association called 'Teruel Existe', because Teruel, a city from that place, seemed to be vanished from the social map. Now imagine parades with 'Cork exists' or 'Turku exists' banners.)

Anyway.

Now, you are anything but gentelmen! How can you be so rude with Tears, knowing she's such a pure and innocent girl (or such a pure and innocent gay. Sorry, Tears, I'm convinced that you are an american chick; if you are a man then I'm sorry and confused). Calling her (him?) a [over-used word] is disgusting. She (he?) is more like a turgent, smooth, firm breast with a piercing in the nipple.

Let's do a little speech. Without being literature criticism, we coincide that John R. R. T. made a great work puting together all that nordic legends and pagan tradition in his novel. You might like it or not, difference is richness. That myths and legends are most maniqueist: there is Evil and wants to destroy the world; the Heroes had to avoid it to maintain the status (it recalls the american politics of terror, doesn't it?). Of course, LOTR inherited this heroe-evil confrontation. It works in the myth, in legends and in the novel; going beyond those very fields might be dangerous. I heard interpretations of the book as if it were a Bible or someting: the Sauron troops are nazi einsatzers, or communists, or islamic integrists; the Ring is a symbol of nuclear weapons, of massive destruction weapons, of drugs; Hobbits are Irish and Sauron represents the English crown... Crap. It's just a book, why don't people just go and read what Johnny said about his novel? Anyway, there is a film adaptation. And God, Pete Jackson is a gore filmmaker (have you seen Braindead?), how can he do a good adaptation? The thing is that he DID a good adaptation. It could be better, of course, but it could be much more and more worse.

What happened to Constantine, then? It happened that the film may be good (let me doubt it), but they missed the point in the adaptation thing. That's why Constantine sucks. And people, they had the drawings, it's easier to do a film adaptation-you don't have to do the storyboard, you can buy it in a comic shop since 1988! Why did they complicate so much?

Buf, it was longer than I expected.

LOTR was a masterwork written by one man - with one vision.  To be fair there was a hell of lot more depth and substance to use in shaping a great movie than the still ongoing Constantine series.

With Tom Bombadil prancing around calling everyone "me hearties!" Oh yeah, such depth. :biggrin:

With respect mate, I think this is, again, a British subtley that is lost on "Cousin Johnathon". I understood Tom Bombadil perfectly well, at 12 years of age. He is an architype, imho. Outside the world and its systems. And he talks funny, because he is in effect, an alien*, he is from the DEEP past "is a foreign country. The people do things differently there."

*All the people of LoTRs are from the past, but TOM is from THEIRS, and Tom be changeless, my spratlings, deep like the rivero, rolling, rolling.

:tongue:

That was incomprehensible, Avaunt, but then any justification of Tom Bombadil would have to be, wouldn't it?

Red, re your opinion of LOTR's superiority to most things cultural: thanks for the laugh. 8-)

(I'm glad to agree with all those who say that Hellblazer is superior to Tolkien's "master work.")

so... um... think Constantine DVD will have a R-rated version?

I was wondering the same thing myself. Since it's a safe bet that the theatrical version will be PG-13, then will they release the theatrical version AND unrated Directors Cut like they did with the Butterfly Effect?

It's common knowledge that Directors Cuts are better and tie up any loose ends in terms of plots, violence, and deleted scenes. However, I wish they'd just show an unrated Constantine movie and let it be that. If WB knew the history of the comics and I haven't read it much either, but I know from what I've seen on the site and from reading "Haunted", I know that Constantine was meant to be an R rated movie and maybe they should've put their foot down and left it the way it was.