Red

Books of Magick: Life during wartime

OK, so who here is reading this? John? James? Rogan?

I really need to discuss this with someone, because at the moment I don't understand a frigging thing about what's really going down in the series. For instance:

- What are the Born?

- Ditto the Bred?

- Who are the Coalition?

- Why are they fighting?

- What are the books of magic?

- What are the keys?

- What is John Constantine up to?

- Is the faerie queen and the cherish on the same side?

- What's up with Cat?

...and that's for starters. Any input will be appreciated. If I don't get more of a gist of WTF is going on I'l probably drop the book.

I've only read the first three issues, and if they haven't explained the Born/Bred thing by the end of the first arc (next month, right?) then I'm not going to bother catching up.

Seriously, that's some shitty storytelling.

No, the arc ended this month, and no, they haven't really explained that stuff. You get the feeling that the Born are demons of a sort, but that's it, really...

I'm also reading this and I was accepting being confused with the hope of things being explained and now you are telling me things don't get explained? hmmm.

Aren't the Books of Magic those books that Dog was writing? He shows them to Tim and Tim has a fit.

Tim has created his own world right? So Molly, Dog and Cat don't really exsist? Might explain why Molly's character seemed weird to me. Doesn't expalin anything else though!

Hey! There's Rogan!

Red-I stopped buying the book. As far as the "story" being over, well, it's put into story-arcs for the sake of TPBs only. A lot of comics do that nowadays. The company wants to be able to Trade every series, if they feel the sales warrant it (obviously they won't know until about 4 or 5 months after the book first comes out). So, what they do, is they try to make the writer/artist make a 4, 5, 6 issue story-arc with a name on it, so that they can hopefully Trade it a few months after the story-arc is over. Well, not all writers want to be forced to write a story-arc that is THIS many chapters. So, you get a lot of stories that last 8-12 issues, but for the sake of Trades, they divide the story into 2 story-arcs.

Understand?

So, obviously, this current story in "Books of MagicK" is not only 5 issues long. It will keep going into to the next story, where HOPEFULLY, you'll be able to get some answers.

Personally, I think it's all trash, and I don't care one whit to find out the answers to any of those question....but that's just me.

I also think that getting 5 issues into a story and not really knowing anything other than Tim Hunter is in a pocket universe so he's safe from the humans/demons war in the "real" universe is shoddy writing!

WHat is this Books of Magic: Life during Wartime thing?

I have only read Gaiman's Books of Magic miniseries and loved it. I tried and did not like the spinoff longrunning series. Is this life during wartime thing an arc of the latter? Or is it another mini series? Any good? Constantine seems to be in it which is a good sign.

Abhi-Neil Gaiman's "Books of Magic" mini-series was a beautiful piece of work. I agree with your opinion of later "Books of Magic" spin-offs.

"Books of MagicK:Life During War Time" is a horrible attempt to continue to cash in on Gaiman's original concept. It's written by Si Spencer (from a co-plot he did with Neil Gaiman at the bar one night).

I'm pretty sure from the title that this was originally planned to be a mini-series, but as with everything from Vertigo that might have a market, they have tried to turn it into a new monthly Tim Hunter series, with basically nothing to do with any other "Books of Magic" series, other than Tim Hunter.

The new series takes place in two alternate dimensions. One dimension is an Apocalyptic world where demons and the remaining human race are in a war. The other dimension is a pocket universe created by Tim Hunter and (I guess) John Constantine to hide Tim Hunter from the demons. Tim is some sort of Messiah figure. Tim's universe has never heard of magic or the supernatural, it a world of pure science.

This is not the same John Constantine as the one from "Hellblazer". This is a complete bastard J.C. who is the Czar of the human kingdom. Zatanna is also there as John's love interest.

If you ask me, it is not worth reading.

See, I kinda think it's such a waste. I mean there are LOTS of cool story ideas there - only the shoddy writing means you really can't figure out what the fuck is going on, and that puts me right off the book.

One more issue. If it doesn't get clearer by then, it's a goner.

Life During Wartime is one of my favourite reads at the moment but none of the questions you pose Red have really been answered.

What are the Born?

The bad guys. Various mystical creatures fighting under the banner of the Faerie Queen.

Ditto the Bred?

The good guys. It's a slang term for humans.

Who are the Coalition?

A group of Bred and Born who are fighting against the Queen.

Why are they fighting?

Coalition vs The Born

What are the books of magic?

They're being positioned as WMDs that could win the war for either side.

What are the keys?

Items the facilitate the getting of the BOM. As one of the books now appears to be in Tim's reaility, they might be a means to travelling through various dimensions.

What is John Constantine up to?

Well that's one of the big questions, innit ? He's obviously the only one who knows the full story behind everything that's going on. I think he's trying to maintain a balance of sorts.

Is the faerie queen and the cherish on the same side?

Yep.

What's up with Cat?

Too early to tell what the real story is with Cat, Dog and everyone else in Tim's reality.

Cheers John, it was the Born, Bred, Cherish stuff that was confusing me most.

I'm liking this title at the moment. No clue where it is all heading though. And I find Dog pretty amusing!

And it's a spin off from the issue of Hellblazer: Staring at the Wall where our Tim (TBWNN) does the specky Potter clone over.

In fact, the entire series will be resolved when Harry Hunter wakes up and it's all been a horrid dream !

Rogan, I have a parcel coming your way soon, and will throw in my unwanted issues of BoM Wah! (1 to 3, possibly 4, I dunno, I lost interest).

I'm still interested enough it stick with it for the time being but it does seem like it would work better as a mini-series. I have the feeling that things are being drawn out to pad the storyline, but I can't see how this can go on for more than 15-20 issues before some sort of resolution is needed. How many double and triple-crosses can happen before it turns into an incomprehensible mess like the last few years of the X-Files.

Why are they fighting?

Coalition vs The Born

I somehow managed to misread that as 'Who's fighting', sorry. Still hasn't been made clear just why everyone is going at it - there are suggstions that it's a puritan thing, that the Born don't want those filthy Bred mucking up the planet with their filthy genes.

Order figures are in the toilet so I'm not sure how long the series will run, I'd be quite happy with a good two year long story arc.

Rogan, I have a parcel coming your way soon, and will throw in my unwanted issues of BoM Wah! (1 to 3, possibly 4, I dunno, I lost interest).

i thought we agreed that it'll all wait for me wen i come to grace fair London Town with my presence? ;)

(seems that summer 2005 is Potter-time, might mooch off a trip to London from it, like my mom did when the OOTP came out)

I think John's original answer to "Why are they fighting?" is about right! No real reason other than one's Born and the other is Bred.

Red-Seriously, I am pretty sure that this whole Born vs. Bred war is just a thinly-veiled, messed up metaphor for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

Yeah, there's this whole thing about magical suicide bombers in a war-torn oppressed city and so forth.

I don't think the entire war is a metaphor of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict but in that reality, Israel is a Born state and Palestine a Bred one. There are also obvious parallels to World War 2, right the way down to a naval action at Dunkirk.

This is one of the few books I look forward to, even when I don't understand all of it. Thanks for your answers, John. 8-)

As other posts in this thread have indicated - it's a difficult line to walk between throwing out a lot of questions in your story and still keeping people interested long enough to provide the answers.

John, who are the talking face masks that sometimes have blood coming out of them?

I like that the all important Books of Magick are written by a ketamine-using screwoff who almost everyone in his reality thinks has written ludicrous drivel. Interesting reality, a close analogue to our modern world but with no religions or gods whatsoever. It's Dog's "imagining" these that most of his friends considers insane.

Constantine has just engineered a huge betrayal, and an innocent man has already died for it, in the current issue (#5). But the plan's fruition should occur in the next issue, #6. This looks like classic Constantine "I have to be a bastard and hurt people to save the world" stuff, and I don't intend to miss it.

I've only read the first four issues of the series, but I like it. It has a very appealing plot with a magic war in an alternate dimention. I mean magic suicide bombers - that's fucking wicked.

This looks like classic Constantine "I have to be a bastard and hurt people to save the world" stuff, and I don't intend to miss it.

...and I'm loving that aspect the most.