Red

Books of Magick: Life during wartime

Well, I think this ish definitely showed that he was riding a big magic buzz, but yeah, he's been a putz. First it's all about his friends, then he's stringing them along and spending all his time with Brewster, and now he's ready to let them fade of into lala-land while letting things crumble while he bones Missy McGothy.

He just *looks* so smug, too. I wanna smap him.

But I like the other characters very much. Molly, I don't so much have my thumb on her. They haven't developed her very much outside of "Hi, I'm Molly and I'm Tim's girlfriend." But Cat and Dog I like, and, well, pretty much everyone on the freaky side of the universe. Actually, my favorites are Zatanna and the demons. Should I feel bad? :D

Well, I think this ish definitely showed that he was riding a big magic buzz, but yeah, he's been a putz. First it's all about his friends, then he's stringing them along and spending all his time with Brewster, and now he's ready to let them fade of into lala-land while letting things crumble while he bones Missy McGothy.

He just *looks* so smug, too. I wanna smap him.

But I like the other characters very much. Molly, I don't so much have my thumb on her. They haven't developed her very much outside of "Hi, I'm Molly and I'm Tim's girlfriend." But Cat and Dog I like, and, well, pretty much everyone on the freaky side of the universe. Actually, my favorites are Zatanna and the demons. Should I feel bad? :D

I think Tim is meant to be slowly awaking from a self-induced banishment in which everything goes his way: as explained by Brewster or Constantine in the current issue, that thing about everybody being his mate, every girl wanting to sleep with him, etc. it's not so much that Tim is causing people to like him with magic, it's that he created those people with his magic, with the specific mission of liking/loving/pleasing him.

I think that would make anyone into a wanker. also, yeah, in the current issue, Tim is definitely out of it a bit: high on magic (almost losing himself in it), and unaware (mostly) of the seriousness of the situation. Also, the fact he now knows none of his friends are real can't be good for his mental stability....

it's not so much that Tim is causing people to like him with magic, it's that he created those people with his magic, with the specific mission of liking/loving/pleasing him.

But that makes him a pretty big wanker right there, no? :lol:

Of course, it's entirely possible he made the fauxworld when he was a child, out of some post-traumatic induced thingie, which explains it all neatly. But he's still behaving pretty stinky, so I hope he gets scared straight soon. :D

OK, my faith in this series has been restored, and I'll keep reading it. I *still* think they took WAY too long getting to the point, but now that we're here, hopefully it'll stay interesting.

Yes, Tim is behaving like a world-class prick, but then again so is everyone else. Has there been anyone in this story with an ounce of niceness? Well yes, actually: Brewster and Tim's friends. But since Tim's friends aren't actually real people, that just leaves Brewster.

A theory: What if Tim essentially has "stored" different parts of himself in his "friends"? That could explain why Brewster claims they're "the most important thing in the world"...

And I think John's gonna be the one who really wakes Tim up in the end.

I think #8 was the best issue so far (excluding #1) and I loved the description of Tim's "magic high" which was very creative.

On a different note, I really like Fegredo on covers. I know people tend to adore Quietly (and they're very good), but I think Fegredo's is nicer. Kinda Siekenwicz-y. And yeah, I'm sure I butchered that spelling, but oh well. :D

i too prefer Fegredo to Quitely and would like to see HIM on Hellblazer rather than the flavor-of-the-Grant Franky-boy

Guest The Wizard

I'm intriuged by your discussion. Do you need to have read the original Books of Magic before you read Life During Wartime?

OK, my faith in this series has been restored, and I'll keep reading it. I *still* think they took WAY too long getting to the point, but now that we're here, hopefully it'll stay interesting.

Yes, Tim is behaving like a world-class prick, but then again so is everyone else. Has there been anyone in this story with an ounce of niceness? Well yes, actually: Brewster and Tim's friends. But since Tim's friends aren't actually real people, that just leaves Brewster.

A theory: What if Tim essentially has "stored" different parts of himself in his "friends"? That could explain why Brewster claims they're "the most important thing in the world"...

And I think John's gonna be the one who really wakes Tim up in the end.

However, has it been successfully determined that Tim's friends aren't real? They seem as real as anyone else. Also, though Tim may have made the world without magic, the people in it may have come from elsewhere.

Not exactly sure that the world without magic and a world without science actually works, but it is interesting. I like the assumption that "scienticians" performing in the magic world would have to use magic to accomplish their tricks.

I've only read, maybe, two issues of the old BOM series but a mate told me that Tim and Molly went their own way and that their close relationship in Life During Wartime reeks of wish fulfilment.

I've only read, maybe, two issues of the old BOM series but a mate told me that Tim and Molly went their own way and that their close relationship  in Life During Wartime reeks of wish fulfilment.

Interesting point, but it is important to remember that both Constantine and Zatanna certainly don't resemble any previous incarnations. Could they all be Tim's creations? That seems a bit too close to "it's all a dream."

Also, they may still be "real" even if Tim created them. I think the final solution will be more unexpected than what seems to be true at the moment.

Where is the "real" world after all because the Krakow of Constantine is certainly as unreal as the anti-magic bubble universe in which Tim was hiding.

Guest spiderlegs

The way things are headed, it seems that Cat is the only real one. For some reason Brewster and those fairy assassins (I forgot their name) recoiled in horror when they saw in what state she was b efore Tim changed that state. So, she plays some significant role down the line, but as for Molly and Dog, I'm sure they, too, play important roles. Maybe they all wind up "real" in the end, a la Pinnochio?

maybe this WILL tie in with the old BoM in some way or another... Both Zatanna and J.C. have been known to pop up there, and this may all be Tim's subconscious trippin' after the clash with The Beast With No Name...

indeed.

maybe they'll use it to push the reset button when the sales go down the drain, then restart the series again when the 7th Harry Potter book gets its release?

Guest spiderlegs

Well, it was good and did kick some ass, but...

SPOILER:

I'm getting a little tired of the random sexual encounters these people keep having: Zatanna and Dog? Tim and Birgit, Tim and Molly, Tim and Cat (?), Tim and Brewster, Cat and random drunk dudes, John and Molly, John and Zatanna (phone sex), the two Born guys earlier. I love sex and have a healthy obsession with it myself, but geez!

But it was action packed and enjoyable-- the climactic point we all expected, but maybe the narrative POV didn't quite do it for me. I don't know. Definitely not a letdown, though. IMO.

Guest spiderlegs

#10 is fucked up. I liked it, but it's fucked up. The moral implications of creating a universe get tossed up in a god's face. The whole concept of free wheel doesn't mean much when the god freely interacts with its creations in order to hide. Great stuff. Still, this is all being bandied about while they are naked after just having tried to get it on. More gratuitous sex scenes to sell the story, I guess.

I've found there to be more that's compelling about Cat than the other of Tim's "creations." I'm still curious about what will happen next, but I'm sure we'll get Molly's "Tumbling Dice" story next, unless they space it out like the did between Dog's and Cat'sa stories. The relationship between Dog and Cat (mainly Dog's feelings) is REALLY fucked up, now that they know about Tim.

The shagathon stuff is great - if this book doesn't find an audience, I'd dig the creative team doing some kind of human drama stuff - a slice of life style mini maybe.