Red

Books of Magick: Life during wartime

The new issue was ok, I'm getting a little tired of the whole Tim as a god playing out with his created friends. I'm just too interested in the whole war aspect, I think.

I agree with j. White- this is more like BOM : Shag During Wartime (not that i'm complaining much...)

Guest spiderlegs

Trust me, I'm more interested in the war, too, but I admit to finding the whole "god's creations cussing him out" aspect as being totally cool. Imagine if we peon creatures were somehow given the same opportunity with all the fucked up aspects of our lives. It doesn't ring the same here because we don't personally interact or have sex with god or do drugs with god like they do. Still, that underlying theme, to me, is terrific. I have so much more sympathy for Dog, now. And I've always thought Cat would be an important story facet. I think that's coming to be in these next few issues. Though, NOWAY would Zatanna give it up to Dog. That's just too creepy... :-?

This series has some of the best covers going and has the misfortune of being lumped in with a shithouse effort at a logo.

Constantine didn't quite ring through in this one, they've nailed him right up to now but it almost felt like they were trying too hard - after the magical cluster bombs, the big reveal at the end here didn't really come as a surprise. Loads of good lilttle bits make up for that though - the big splash of Tim using his magic is fucking amazing. This book has been a huge surprise for me and I predict huge things ahead for all concerned - Si Spencer in particular has lept up into the upper echelons of my favourite comic writers.

This series has some of the best covers going and has the misfortune of being lumped in with a shithouse effort at a logo.

Constantine didn't quite ring through in this one, they've nailed him right up to now but it almost felt like they were trying too hard - after the magical cluster bombs, the big reveal at the end here didn't really come as a surprise.  Loads of good lilttle bits make up for that though - the big splash of Tim using his magic is fucking amazing.  This book has been a huge surprise for me and I predict huge things ahead for all concerned - Si Spencer in particular has lept up into the upper echelons of my favourite comic writers.

I agree, a great book. however, I think the sales are pretty bd, which probably means it'll be cancelled in 3 months or so :angry:

well, judging from the last DC sollicitations, the war has indeed ended and the series is moving into a new storyline, so not all is lost as yet.

Guest spiderlegs

As much as I have enjoyed the series, I think the war was the appealing situational background to me. Ifthey change it backto plain oul' "BoM," I might move on unless they nail me right out of the gate. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I have read part of a new storyline, I guess.

I was surprised how much I've come to like this book, too. I might decide whether to keep buying after this storyline, though. I was really only in it for the war.

Well, Spencer's character of Conjob has forced me to find the remaining back issues. I just love his absolute-bastard portrayal of the man. Zatanna is righteous as well, and there were some fantastic moments in the first five parts. My only problem is the overwhelming confusion, which usually clears up during a second read (preceded by a read of this thread).

I'm not sure I'd buy John being quite the [over-used word] in the Hellblazer title but it works really well here (the clusterbombs bit is aces on toast).

I'm not sure I'd buy John being quite the [over-used word] in the Hellblazer title but it works really well here (the clusterbombs bit is aces on toast).

He has a reason to be, too. There are no rules in this war, so it's pretty much up to him to be just as ruthless as everyone else, and twice as smart.

John in armour has got to be inspired from the Hellblazer Annual,yeah?

So the series is Harry Potter copulating with Solaris.

I dislike Tim, maybe because if John could ever overcome his own shit (could any of us) he could become Delano's "Magus".

Tim being all magic on a superhero level sort of takes away from Johns possible destiny.

Zatanna and John belong together.

Its usually a toss up between love or magic for our John, Z is both!

Guest spiderlegs

They're starting to hit the "get on with it" button. Since the fate of this title is pretty much been decided, I would like it if they finished it up nice and tidy, and unlike poor Carnivale which is doomed to forever remain unfinished in limbo...

spoiler:

John as the traitor? Surely there must be a twist!

They're starting to hit the "get on with it" button. Since the fate of this title is pretty much been decided, I would like it if they finished it up nice and tidy, and unlike poor Carnivale which is doomed to forever remain unfinished in limbo...

spoiler:

John as the traitor? Surely there must be a twist!

the war ends in a couple of issues, I think. the latest previews mentions a new, non-war storyline. I don't mind, the character driven issues with Fegredo's art were rather good too.

Guest spiderlegs

The Tumbling Dice issues? Those were great, but once the war is over and they start a new arc, I might take a break. I'll check the first few out, but I never followed BoM until this whacked out crazy storyline andthe whole war. Young Tim hasn't as much appeal as his contemporaries, I'm afraid.

Guest spiderlegs

I'm not thrilled with the tidy way in which they resolved everything. Feh!

It was good, but nothing fantastic. I could tell John was conning from a mile away, and I find it hard to believe that even with the Faerie Queen dead, the Born are defeated (what about the Cherish)?

However, I thought it was a cool little issue.

Overall good issue. I too was put off by the rushed wrap up. I did suspect what was going on with John and the Books of Magic. I definetly did not suspect the identity of the Faerie Queen. It will still be interesting were Spencer will take the book now.

I enjoyed the ending, and the whole issue overall. John's con was a bit easy, but the idea of whole thing happening gave me a smile. I was a bit confused about the war from it's start, but this story had me anticipating each issue for months and months. Well played, Spencer. I'll keep reading.

Satisfactory finale - I like the relationship between John and Tim. the pair of them gripping hands at the end was funky. The Yo-Yo reveal was nicely done and made up for the rather obvious Constantine triple-cross. Where to from here though, are Cat'n'Dog now gone forever ?

Well it looks like the title will be history with issue #15. Note to DC: Retire Tim Hunter for a while. You've done just about everything you can with the character. After three different titles that's couldn't go the distance, just let him be a minor player in the DC/Vertigo universe. If Neil Gaiman wants to use him somewhere down the line, that'd be great, but for now just let him be living his life "off-screen" as it were.

Guest bling bling dregs

What happened to Molly's "Tumbling Dice" side story? This new arc looks decent. I love the way Hunter's World has changed and that he's coming back to

SPOILER

DESTROY it.