A. Heathen

Richard and Judy's Hellblazer reading club

I like Dead Boy's Heart. I quite like any with John's childhood in, really.

'The First Time', by Brian Azzarello and Dave Taylor, featured in Vertigo Secret Files. The first meeting between a young John and Nergal, "I'll be damned, the little bastard nicked me fags". Funny.

Not an issue as such but rarely talked about.

I did say "first 150 (issues) only"

partly to help us fill in the gaps on the "Monthly Issues" section of John's site.

I'm a fuckwit. Ha ha. :icon_rolleyes:

I was trying to think of later issues that weren't part of larger storylines, I'm not really a fan of anything much past around issue 80.

I like Dead Boy's Heart. I quite like any with John's childhood in, really.

'The First Time', by Brian Azzarello and Dave Taylor, featured in Vertigo Secret Files. The first meeting between a young John and Nergal, "I'll be damned, the little bastard nicked me fags". Funny.

Not an issue as such but rarely talked about.

Yeah I love that one too. I'd vote for it if it wasn't for the fact that Ade will probably veto my vote for being a stupid twat and not understanding the rules. :D

I like that one. That should be a good nomination to get people talking, as I seem to be the only member willing to talk about that issue.

I thought Ade nominated it at the beginning, but that Page 1 button looks awfully hard to press....so, I'll just leave it to my poor memory....

This is a brilliant idea Ade. I almost never comment on the new issues as I get so much later that everthing I want to say already been posted. This way I might get a turn to not be the rundadent one.

I'm right with you on that, Claire. It's far too late to join in by the time my comics come.

To start with, nominate six issues that you think would be interesting to discuss with the gang.

Since not a single one of us can read, or count to six, I'm not expecting much from the discussion. :biggrin:

Weird, is there some reason this thread jumped back in time to last August or is Rod Serling messing with my mind once more?

Just wondering if there is a final decision on the six before I go off to Wales at the end of the week, as I'm sad enough to take them with me on holiday.

Nah two weeks of STRAIGHT TO HELL HOUSE and further debate.

But the general decision will be to start with #1

Nah two weeks of STRAIGHT TO HELL HOUSE and further debate.

But the general decision will be to start with #1

It's a good number to start with :biggrin:

I'll drop by to Hell House and see if they're any special guest slots when I get back, I expect the carnage will have started by then...

How 'bout "Sundays are Different"? I'd like to hear what folks make of it.

I loved that one: Delano's take on the poll tax riots, a hatchet job on the misappropiation of hippy bullshit by monetarist bullshitters, about as close as Delano ever got to revealing the softer side of Constantine Ellis based his entire run on Hellblazer dwelling on...

There's nothing here not to like, apart from the art.

I think the art really, really let down the story — okay, it's a no-brainer to say better art = better comic, but in this case I suspect the art really broke what Jamie was trying to say.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. :D

How about Paul Jenkins' 2-parter Widdershins, from issues 116 & 117?

I think the art really, really let down the story — okay, it's a no-brainer to say better art = better comic, but in this case I suspect the art really broke what Jamie was trying to say.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. :D

How about Paul Jenkins' 2-parter Widdershins, from issues 116 & 117?

I enjoyed that one, but Jenkins did better elsewhere.

Now I think about it, can I be the first in this thread to speak up in defense of the Eddie Campbell story? I really enjoyed that one, to the extent that I was a trifle peeved on finding out that was all he was going to be doing for it...

Widdershins are blah.

I nominate Darko Macan's 2-parter, Ashes & Honey, despite him being a Croat... ;)

"Sundays Are Different" is a good one as it's written in a fairly obtuse manner which can lead to various interpatations.

Another strange one-parter is #119 "Undertow" by Paul Jenkins. That one might elicit some different responses.

"Telling Tales" the last Hellblazer story from Warren Ellis and the latest "comedy" issue in HB is a good one although I'm not sure how much discussion it would generate.

I too have a soft spot in my heart for the Eddie Campbell four parter but I don't think that one fits in the perimteters of Ade's rules.

I too have a soft spot in my heart for the Eddie Campbell four parter but I don't think that one fits in the perimeters of Ade's rules.

I don't see why not: I don't have the issues to hand, but I think they're before #150.

I nominate Darko Macan's 2-parter, Ashes & Honey, despite him being a Croat... ;)

I oppose this nomination, because it's rubbish. And not in an interesting, discussion-worthy way.

I'd rather do Campbell's arc. I really don't like it, but I could tell more about why I didn't like it than Macan's. Of the latter I would just say "It Sucks."

I oppose this nomination, because it's rubbish. And not in an interesting, discussion-worthy way.

Why rubbish?

I guess you Brits will never know the joy of seeing Jon Constantine cursing in your native tongue.

Pizda!

I guess you Brits will never know the joy of seeing Jon Constantine cursing in your native tongue.

whadda ya mean, he's always cussing in good ol' Anglo Saxon..... [over-used word]bubble

ok, you've got a point.

Guest spiderlegs

I kinda dug #143 "Telling Tales"

It amused me and it showed John's sardonic side. I feel like it was Warren's best effort in his limited run on the title. I preferred it even to "Shoot".

I preferred just about everything to 'Shoot', including most of Azzarello's run. But we've been through that before.

Of the issues mentioned so far, I think #1 is a logical starting point, but I'd also agree with the Newcastle issue, 'Sundays Are Different' (not actually a favourite of mine, but it should make for an interesting discussion), the Campbell story (ditto), and 'Telling Tales'. I'd also suggest 'The Diary Of Danny Drake', 'Desperately Seeking Something', and possibly Delano's final issue.