James

The Dead Pool

Who's going to die next issue? (203)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to die next issue? (203)

• Clarice Sackville
    • Map
    • Nathan Arcane
    • Angie Spatchcock
    • Ravi
    • Gemma Masters/"Constantine"
    • Kev (Chas' friend)
    • Watford
    • Zed
    • Cheryl/Tony Masters

So John's kids are getting down to business, but who do you think is up for the chop next? Bear in mind that the kids have run out of people whose names begin with "Al." The leaderboard so far (counting only those associated with John):

MARIA - 1

Alba, killed by redirecting her own power through her.

ADAM - 1

Albert, killed with glass shards

FAILURE: Clarice, escaped though later collapsed and sent to hospital.

SAUL - 0

FAILURE: Map; presumably still sat in his protective circle.

So it looks like they're working backwards through John's friends and associates, beginning with the breakup of John's Shadow Dog attack team in Staring at the Wall. For those with a less obsessive mind than mine, the group consisted of:

ALBA, JASON SPATCHCOCK and CHALICE

All apparently dead by the end of this issue. Which leaves....

CLARICE SACKVILLE

Already the victim of an attack in the last issue. She may be a powerful and influential magician, but she's also weak and elderly and has already suffered the loss of her good friend Albert. The fact that she's already been a target makes her a pretty likely candidate for burial next issue. On the other hand, Mike seems to enjoy writing her, since she's survived hand grenades and gunfire in Red Sepulchre and an entire apocalypse in Staring at the Wall. Also, John needs her to cast the self-summoning spell so there's a story-based reason for keeping her around. But once she's done that, she's fair game.

Likeliness to cop it: 8/10

MAP

Saul's already made him a target, but Map's just too damned powerful for him. Will the lad return to settle the score or will he just leave him be? And how long can Map stay in that protective circle before he needs to eat or sleep? Again, it looks like Map is helping John out, so he'll be needed for the story. But who knows? Maybe if he lets his guard down, he might get a nasty surprise...

3/10

NATHAN ARCANE

He's a cool customer, but can he handle three hellish Constantine kids? Nathan didn't seem to have much up his sleeves but a handful of pills, so unless he's going to get Adam hooked on heroin and kick his face in when he's passed out, he's totally outgunned. Then again, who knows? There's enough promise in the character to make him worth returning to.

9/10

ANGIE SPATCHCOCK

Will Mike really kill off one of his few original "good guys"? It's certainly a possibility, especially since Maria was (sort of) raised by her, so she may decide to drop in on mummy dearest. Angie doesn't seem to have done much since Staring at the Wall, so Mike might not have any real desire to keep her hanging around.

7/10

RAVI

An immortal Indian prince. He pulled out of the team before they summoned the Shadow Dog, so the kids might overlook him. Then again, they seem to be enjoying their game too much to give it up yet. Although he is very learned and has numerous connections with Gods and monsters, Ravi doesn't seem to have any overtly magical abilities with which to defend himself. Lucky for him, then, that Carey seems to enjoy writing him, having also given him a guest appearance in Lucifer. Since he originally came from The Sandman, it would be strange to kill him off in the middle of a Hellblazer arc.

1/10

GEMMA

Gemma lent her uncle John a helping hand in the aftermath of the summoning. Could this have doomed her? Those who read the solicits know that she's involved in the storyline somehow - could she buy the farm prior to her appearance on the cover of 205? Hellblazer's known for its post-mortem guest appearances after all...

2/10

So that's it for the Shadow Dog crew, not counting Swamp Thing (who's already being butchered by Joshua Dysart in his own comic, apparently) and Chas (whose body will definitely be out and about come 204 even if his mind isn't).

Prior to Staring at the Wall we had Bred in the Bone (which focused on Gemma, not John) and the Third Worlds trilogy, which I'll ignore because I doubt the kids are going to go all the way over to Iraq just to knock off a cab driver. That leaves Black Flowers and The Game of Cat and Mouse.

KEV

You know, that bloke who gave John a lift once. Do you remember? Neither did I. That's probably the only thing sparing him.

1/10

WATFORD

He's a cop, not a magician, so he's got nothing to defend himself with if the kids do attack. On the other hand, John won't exactly miss the old bastard, so why bother popping his clogs in the first place?

2/10

ZED

It's a bit of a leap from the order that's been defined, but she's appeared (sort of) in issue 200 and was mentioned again this issue. Could Carey be planning to raise her profile a bit so that her reintroduction to the comic after twelve years seems slightly more organic?

4/10

CHERYL/TONY MASTERS

If you want to his John where it hurts, go for the heart. And we all know that home is where the heart is. They're long-standing characters but they've featured surprisingly rarely over the years, so it's not quite the same as killing Chas, even though the emotional impact would be similar. Could their closeness to John be their undoing?

7/10

I'll update this each month. And why not?

So John's kids are getting down to business, but who do you think is up for the chop next? Bear in mind that the kids have run out of people whose names begin with "Al." The leaderboard so far (counting only those associated with John):

Your theory about working backwards is kind of spoiled by Clarice and John going back a long way (at least beyond Warren Ellis's run) and erm ... the attempt on Chas. I think it's more likely that are working through the alphabet - Map being an A to Z ;-)

Some sort of attack on the Masters family is almost certain.

And if it's not the obvious one, then Tony's death would probably ostracise Cheryl from John for good.

My vote still goes for the South London mob.

My bet's on Arcane. Maybe Clarice will be like the old cancerous codger in Dangerous Habits - she'll croak at the very end of the storyline...

Your theory about working backwards is kind of spoiled by Clarice and John going back a long way (at least beyond Warren Ellis's run) and erm ... the attempt on Chas. I think it's more likely that are working through the alphabet - Map being an A to Z ;-)

As mentioned above, the attacks seem to be based on contact with Constantine prior to his amnesia, not on their first appearances in the comic. Clarice, Alba, Map and Chas were all involved in the last part of the Shadow Dog saga and were the last people to help him before he lost his mind. So the kids - who are working backwards - have started with them.

The narrator makes it clear that they're working in some kind of order, and this would appear to be it. Obviously the kids aren't working in an exact order otherwise they would have whacked Chas first.

I'm left befuddled following reading James's reasoning. The characters are either too unimportant to be worth killing or too important to kill off as Mike seems to like writing them.

Pretty much. It was so much easier with Staring at the Wall.

Personally I'm going with Clarice next issue, then Nathan Arcane, possibly followed by Map or Angie and with either Cheryl or Tony copping it at the end.

I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest that either Cheryl or Gemma buys the farm in the final issue of the arc. Prior to that...oh, let's say Arcane next issue, and/or Map the next to drop after that. At some point the Constanteenies are going to have to be shown as a truly deadly threat, and killing Alba doesn't really achieve that, given her limited provenance on the series. Map is, as has already been established again this month, one hard-assed mother fucker. Taking him down would be a real indication of the level of force John's facing off against.

It's likely that I'm completely wrong, of course. But I've never been a gambling man...

They already tried to kill Map.. And it didnt work. I dont think Gemma is going down.. Because Carey has thing for her. But who knows.

I'm going to say Nathan Arcane just because he fits in the same pattern as Alba, ie. one of Mike's one-note characters which he can kill of without worring about anyone else giving a toss. He could probably kill off Ravi, but since he's a Neil Gaiman creation and since Neil has voiced his displeasure at Matthew the Raven being killed off in The Dreaming series I don't think DC would want one of Neil's prized creations written out of continunity unless Neil does it. Plus I think Neil may actually own that character which may be one reason Ravi hasn't been more of a team-player.

I'm still thinking that the kids are targeting the Shadow Dog attact team for a reason. A reason that will tie The Beast With No Name in with Rosecarins as well as everything else that has gone in in Mike's run. There are still many un-answered questions which I believe Mike will answer in his fianl arc.

I'd say that the children are targeting those who can actively help John - which is something they say at the end of #200, I think.

That said, I think Chas buys the farm, if only for a while, in the next issue, and Arcane is a good bet as well. Clarice is more likely than Map, I'd say...

Clarice Sackville

Map - I think he'll die, but not next issue. Wouldn't surprise me to see the three Constantine Offspring working together to kill him for the big finale to part 3.

Nathan Arcane - Good odds on him dying next issue I reckon.

Angie Spatchcock - I still maintain that there's more to her than meets the eye so she'll survive the story.

Ravi - Good odds again.

Gemma Masters/"Constantine" - Safe as safe can be.

Kev (Chas' friend) - Not a contender in my opinion, total nobody.

Watford - Not a contender either, not close to John and not likely to be a help in these circumstances.

Zed - Safe.

Cheryl/Tony Masters - Safe, I reckon.

I think Ravi's first apperence was in Sandman #53 where he was on board the ship with Hob Gadling and he told him the tale of the Indian King who ate the fruit of immortality. Ravi may have been a DC character prior to Gaiman using him or he may have been a figure from Indian folklore that I've never heard about which is may be the reason why other writers apart from Gaiman himself can use him somewhat frequently.

What about the 3 of them trying to take out Alec? I know it would be damn near impossible for 3 half demon kids to take a Elemental.. But who knows.. Maybe their ego's get inflated after they kill off Map, and end up thinking they can take out anybody.

Alec's not an Elemental any more.

Still, he DOES have his own comic, and it's hard to imagine Vertigo knocking him off for the sake of a four-part arc.

So, Alec's now just a bunch of barely sentient animated moss and goo?

Waite if he's not a Earth Elemental anymore. Then who is? Dont tell me they made Grundy a Earth Elemental..

So basically now if Swamp thing were to get wounded. He wouldnt be able to regenerate through the Green? That sucks. He was cool as a Earth Elemental.

To be honest, I don't read it any more (flicked through the latest Swamp Thing issue and was thoroughly unimpressed by the whole affair), but I imagine being a plant, Swampy could grow bits of his body back.