hagren

Beyond A Joker

Saw it today. Whilst it did not live up to the massive hype and did not turn out as exceptional as expected, it was pretty darn satisfying to sit through and certainly a brilliant, twisted crime thriller. Apart from the ludicrous Batvoice and the stiff suit, respectively the talk-heavy first half, amongst other things. My respect goes to Ledger and Eckhart for two quite amazing performances and Nolan for a more than solid direction and story. This one had colours, too! And much cleaner action shots. Next time I'd like less public scenes, though. Loved the maturity and richness of the film, it really felt disturbing and unsafe.

I just read it has gone past the $500 million dollar mark making it the only film other than Titanic to do that - although, if you factor inflation, Dark Knight would have to earn $900 million to equal it.

How many times did any of you lot pay to see Leo drown?

Saw Titanic once. Saw DK for the second time today, the audience was completely frozen in suspens the whole time. That made me sad, cause that's my kinda audience and I already knew what was going to happen. The first time I saw it the entire theatre kept giggling whenever The Joker was onscreen.

[over-used word]s.

Heh, my mom was so into the movie last night, and she used to avoid Batman like the plague, thinking it's a kiddie cartoony thing. You should have seen her reaction when Batman flipped the truck Joker was in. She literally jumped up in her seat, arms up in excitement. :laugh:

Is it just me, or could Two-Face probably be defeated by wiping the soot off of his coin?

Stop trying to nitpick greatness! :tongue:

Shirley Manson Purrs About Her Catwoman Potential

Published by Jennifer Vineyard on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 10:54 am.

Should Catwoman play a part in the next Batman movie, who would should put on the catsuit? Everyone’s tossing names out – from Maggie Gyllenhaal who didn’t get enough of her Caped Crusader in “The Dark Knight” and wants to come back for more, to Angelina Jolie, who Julie Newmar advocates, to Cher, who was supposedly was already cast according to one erroneous report but was actually not.

Here’s one more name to throw in the meow mix: Shirley Manson from Garbage.

“I’d love to play Catwoman,” she told MTV News.

Shirley’s currently kicking ass in “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles,” her first acting role, as a liquid metal T-1000 model — in the season opener, she morphed from being a urinal in the men’s bathroom to a killing machine in a shocking reveal. Shocking, because up to that point, you were led to believe she was just the driven, perhaps cold CEO of a company who paid no mind to the needs of her employees in her single-minded quest to acquire some new technology.

And that’s the sort of quality she says she would bring to Catwoman.

“She’s supposed to be difficult,” Manson said. “I just think Catwoman hasn’t really been fully realized yet. Certainly I haven’t seen it. Halle Berry wasn’t quite right. And while I liked Michelle Pfeiffer, to a certain degree, I didn’t think she was dangerous. She was more cute than fierce. Not enough of the beast in her. If you’re going to embody a cartoon character like that, you have to be a bit more inexplicable, intangible. Make it more of a mystery.”

Granted, Manson hasn’t had the same level of acting experience as some of the frontrunners for the part, but she doesn’t care – you gotta start somewhere.

“It would be good fun,” she said. “I’m their girl.”

Can you see Shirley Manson as Catwoman? Who else would be good for the part?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/18/shirl...oman-potential/

As the last member of the forum that saw this film, allow me to state my opinion.

Not too shabby.

I thought Batman sounded like Rorschach, but otherwise liked how Wayne was played. The Joker was much more ephemeral than I ever thought of him before--almost like an idea of perfect wanton murder, hard to get your mind around fully. The multiple stories for where the scars came from fed into this for me. The humour that characterizes the Joker was deeply suppressed the point of being unrecognizable, and I will need a little time to chew over whether I liked that or not. I did like the opening chain of shootings during the robbery however.

Ledger's performance was obviously powerful, but did anyone else find it derivative of Nickelson to the point of being distracting? And, having now read back through the thread, I'm going to *gasp* agree with Vagabond in saying the Dent thing was paced badly.

Otherwise, the plot seemed thin and only oriented to bring the Joker and Batman together, and their shared dialog was where the movie shined for me, that's what I remember from the Miller book.

So, for me, 8 of 10. Perhaps one of the best superhero movies I've seen.

Ledger's performance was obviously powerful, but did anyone else find it derivative of Nickelson to the point of being distracting?

The absolute exact opposite. I felt that Ledger's performance shared nothing with Nicholson's and that their approaches to the character were completely different.

Ledger's performance was obviously powerful, but did anyone else find it derivative of Nickelson to the point of being distracting?

The absolute exact opposite. I felt that Ledger's performance shared nothing with Nicholson's and that their approaches to the character were completely different.

Hmm. Its been some years since I saw Nickelson, and so I should probably see both films over again, but I swear I heard his vocal intonations in Ledger's admittedly brilliant performance. This was my gut reaction however.

Speaking as someone who has seen Nickelson's performance many times over the years I have to disagree with you. I To me there's no similarity between their approach to the Joker whatsoever. Also, that the Joker brand of humor was clearly present in TDK and only portrayed in a more realistic manner.

Yes, inasmuch as only one of them was attempting to channel Cesar Romero On Drugs.

Otherwise, the plot seemed thin and only oriented to bring the Joker and Batman together,

Possible contrivances aside, thin plot?

Come now.

I agree Rohne, a thin plot does not this movie have. I think I have said this on here before but if I haven't well here it is, this is a Robert Altman film about Gotham City. To me it seems like there is one story that being the story of this city as it transitions from being a crime ridden cesspool to being the hot spot for every brand of mask wearing, murderous, nut job. There is no main focus of the story all the plot points and storys ie. Bruce, Rachel, and Harvey, Joker's rise to power, Gordon, Dent, and Batman, et. al. shared the screen equally and were given enough screen time. I mean if you don't think so try watching it again and trying to decide which plot points or scenes could have been cut out. I bet you don't come up with many if any at all.

Otherwise, the plot seemed thin and only oriented to bring the Joker and Batman together,

Come now.

Shutting down the mob via the money. Another guy is trying to steal the mob's money, and they turn to him when the heat gets too close. Am I missing anything more?

Come now.

To me it seems like there is one story that being the story of this city as it transitions from being a crime ridden cesspool to being the hot spot for every brand of mask wearing, murderous, nut job.

That's not plot, its subtext.

There is no main focus of the story all the plot points and storys ie. Bruce, Rachel, and Harvey, Joker's rise to power, Gordon, Dent, and Batman, et. al. shared the screen equally and were given enough screen time.

Aye, but there is, and its thin enough that you don't recognize it being there.

Bruce, Rachel, Harvey, Gordon, Dent, Joker, Batman, is all characterization, not plot.

I'm not saying its BAD or that it DOESN'T work. I'm just saying the central plot is thin is all.