hagren

Beyond A Joker

Whoopee, validation. What with this and Watchmen finally being turned into a film, it's almost as though society is telling me that I haven't been wasting my time on juvenile trash for all these years. Hooray.

Sorry, was that a dickish thing to say? I've only just woken up, my judgement of tone and nuance may not be up to its usual impeccably-high standard.

Morning Mark! :tongue:

Isn't that just a photoshopped Kristen Bell?

Yes, but fake or not it's still a good concept.

I think what Trace meant was that it is not a 3D model as it would appear Herr T thought.

I didn't know whether put this in the Superman, Spider-man or Batman thread.

Oh my Giddy Aunt.

I found this (rather long) fan-made trailer from 2004. Waiting to see if the makers claim that Grant Morrison stole their idea of killing Batman.

GRAYSON

It looks so bad that I would really love to see it made into a full length movie to see just how bad the acting gets! Bonus points for managing to include Wonder Woman, Superman and Green Lantern in the movie too.

A good thing too. Ledger owned the character, and no one can replace him. A wise move on Nolan's part I'd say.

A good thing too. Ledger owned the character, and no one can replace him. A wise move on Nolan's part I'd say.

+1

Even better reason why this is a good thing: they've done the Joker now. Who really thinks that a return appearance would be able to say anything significant with/about the character which wasn't already covered in The Dark Knight? "More of the same" isn't a good reason to re-use a character - and even if they did come up with an interesting new take on the character, with an interesting new actor, it'd still be coming so soon on the heels of the previous film's near-definitive version that it would struggle not to feel faintly redundant. I'd far rather see Nolan et al using that screentime to show us something new instead. Besides, it's not like the Batman universe is short of compelling characters who haven't yet made it to the screen.

Explain?

Simply put, I don't think Ledger as the Joker was irreplaceable. Especially if you like the idea of the Joker going through a rebirth every time he breaks out of Arkham.

I can't imagine anyone who could do the job, though, but I'm not a world renowned film director.

I +1 Mark, though.

Simply put, I don't think Ledger as the Joker was irreplaceable. Especially if you like the idea of the Joker going through a rebirth every time he breaks out of Arkham.

This might be a good idea in a serialized comic book coming out over decades, with changing authors. In a film franchise consisting of 2 movies, it very definitively is not.

I can't imagine anyone who could do the job, though, but I'm not a world renowned film director.

Oh, there may be several, but it would be a reinvention of the character, which would really defeat the purpose.

In a film franchise consisting of 2 movies, it very definitively is not.

Fairly key, this one - it's not that Ledger is irreplaceable in the sense of "no-one could ever play this part again", but he was the main villain in the previous film. If they decide to reboot the franchise after Nolan's done with it, or after the current version inevitably gets derailed by a crap sequel or two, then I'd be all in favour of finding a new actor to present a new version of the Joker. It's worked in the past, it could easily work again. But for now, in this interpretation of the Batman universe, Ledger's Joker is the only one needed - it's not that he couldn't be replaced, it's that he shouldn't.

"More of the same" isn't a good reason to re-use a character - and even if they did come up with an interesting new take on the character, with an interesting new actor, it'd still be coming so soon on the heels of the previous film's near-definitive version that it would struggle not to feel faintly redundant. I'd far rather see Nolan et al using that screentime to show us something new instead. Besides, it's not like the Batman universe is short of compelling characters who haven't yet made it to the screen.

Er, it is a film of a comic, Mark. No argument with the rest, but "more of the same" is what DC have been plugging for the last 70 years...

(Still a good point, though.)

Anybody know if this story about him out of Big Bang Theory playing the Riddler has any substance to it besides the almost chewy texture of nerd stink?

Er, it is a film of a comic, Mark. No argument with the rest, but "more of the same" is what DC have been plugging for the last 70 years...

Yeah, I think that's probably the most compelling evidence I could provide in support of my argument.