Guest spiderlegs

The Monarchy

Guest spiderlegs

OK, I'm with you, Inca. With all due respect to Atticus, this one stinks to holy hell.

Anyone care to defend this waste of good pulp?

I wasn't terribly impressed by it myself, but to be fair I only read the first issue before deciding I wasn't reading any more of it.

Guest spiderlegs

I picked up the trade. At least it was on sale. I'm going to try and "trade" it for something else. The first issue was the only thing worth a damn about the series. At least you got some of decadent The Authority...

What was the Monarchy? Just an English version of the Authority? And was it set in the Wildstorm universe?

The Establishment was the English version of The Authority and made for some damn fine reading, chock full of references to British pop-culture and space demons getting their heads blown to bits by sawn-off shotguns.

The Monarchy was The Authority as The Invisibles, written by a a chap who lacked both the craft and guile to pull such a thing off. Noteable in net circles for the rabid, and tiny, fanbase it established on the web care of the writer's (Doselle Young) participation on the official forum.

To end this post on a high, here's Charlie Arrows from The Establishment :

charliearrows.jpg

Guest spiderlegs

So, the Establishment is decent, eh? I was thinking of picking it up when I found that Monarchy piece of dung. Has Establishment been traded yet?

Nope, won't be either, didn't sell for shit.

It's not genius or anything but was, for the most part, good fun. Fawlty Towers pops up in the first issue.

OK, I'm with you, Inca. With all due respect to Atticus, this one stinks to holy hell.

Anyone care to defend this waste of good pulp?

Did I really recommend The Monarchy?

I am supremely sorry if I did; I thought it was a pile of pretentious wank, and have no idea why I would've recommended it to anyone.

The Establishment, however, was good fun (if a bit rushed at the end) - I loved all the references to UK sci-fi stuff (midwich cuckoos/the champions/dan dare etc).

Sorry about The Monarchy though. That'll teach you to beleive anything that escapes my lips.

I didn't really care for the Establishment either.

MONARCHY's problems were numerous, but I liked a few things about it. It just kept introducing psychotic idea after idea, but no matter how good any idea might be it doesn't in itself make a story. It took all the superficial aspects of Ellis' work on The Authority and Planetary and pasted them onto the pages with no fundamental content or narrative to hold it together.

I didn't really care for the Establishment either.

MONARCHY's problems were numerous, but I liked a few things about it. It just kept introducing psychotic idea after idea, but no matter how good any idea might be it doesn't in itself make a story. It took all the superficial aspects of Ellis' work on The Authority and Planetary and pasted them onto the pages with no fundamental content or narrative to hold it together.

At least the way in which Ellis* pasted space opera into superhero comics in The Authority seemed novel at the time. That can't be claimed for the first issue of the Monarchy and probably the rest of it.

*(I'm saying nowt about Millar's approach.)

Excellent, that means I get to say it.

MARK MILLAR'S AUTHORITY WAS FUCKING SHITHOUSE.

There.

Excellent, that means I get to say it.

MARK MILLAR'S AUTHORITY WAS FUCKING SHITHOUSE.

There.

I was trying to do tact, Mark. It's a skill I fear has atrophied entirely in my case and I'm trying to exercise it a little with a defibrillator in the hope that I can raise it from the dead.

But yep: you're dead right there. It was a dress rehearsal for the worst bits of the Ultimates, only not quite that good.