Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Talking to a snake made of socks - Alan Moore

Hmph, Black Dossier has been pushed back to 17th of November, the Absolute Edition is still on scheduale. What's the difference between the two anyway, besides the EP?

More importantly, is there any truth to the the Alan Smithee thing?

That's sort of creepy, just coming up right now.

I recently bought some Daredevil back-issues off mycomicshop.com written by an "Alan Smithee" (Bill Sienkiewicz was doing painted covers on the issues). The web-site offered no other information other than that it was a pen-name. Well, not a big surprise, but after all, John Smith IS his real name, so who would know for sure....heh

From what I could find online, I guess this "Alan Smithee" was Ande Parks working under a nom-de-guerre.

I thought, "Cool. Parks is a pretty good writer." and bought them.

More importantly, is there any truth to the the Alan Smithee thing?

It's certainly something Moore was talking quite seriously about, but nothing seems to have come of it. Presumably he either changed his mind, backed down, or DC (quite understandably) said "no, piss off", since having his name on the books is quite a sales draw for them.

It's a very anti-bourgeois notion, but does he not want his name associated with these projects period, or just taken from the front cover/spine?

Most people already know, at this point, that Watchmen and V For Vendetta are written by Moore. He's the second most famous comic book creator, after all.

Granted, down the years, people might not know the name Alan Moore and that he wrote Watchmen. There's that chance.

Isn't it a deal closer getting to what happened in most comic books for years? Like, who knows who created the Green Lantern (outside of us fan boys who do research)? There's no "Green Lantern was created by" tags inside DC comic books to keep that memory alive.

I would want my name to be always immortalized with my work. Who cares if a corporation is playing ownership of mental property now, or if I'm not making royalties off a character anymore, or I don't have the rights to resell my work.

It's still my work, and I'd still want my name on my work.

It's not as if DC can give the V character to Geoff Johns and tell him to write V into the DCU in a new mini-series, for example.

Even, or maybe especially in that context, I'd want each story to feature my creation to be credited to the creator, even if he isn't getting paid or having any say in his character's use. Just the fact of who the character was originally created by.

I agree with Moore's stance on his films, but that's a seperate issue.

I still need to check out Moores Swamp Thing trades. I've heard that Ghost Dance was one of the best stories in it.

Hmph, Black Dossier has been pushed back to 17th of November, the Absolute Edition is still on scheduale. What's the difference between the two anyway, besides the EP?

A "we don't know" would greatly put my mind at ease.

We don't know. I'd guess that the Absolute edition will be oversized (like all the others have been), and might feature some form of 'bonus material', most likely Moore's script and some miscellaneous concept design sketches and preliminary work from O'Neill.

Thanks, Apathy. That should be one of the year's highlights. (The Black Dossier, not the preview of it. :) )

Thanks, Apathy. That should be one of the year's highlights. (The Black Dossier, not the preview of it. :) )

Don't be too surprised if that's all the LoEG we end up with, it has happened before. ;)

League of Extraordinary Gentleman:The Black Dossier:

There's so much going on in this book. It was truly worth the wait with all Moore has included.

I found this head and shoulders creatively far ahead of any of the other League books.

The contemporary allusions to Orwell,including the absurdist "THIS WARN YOU" page.

A brief history of the world starting with Crowleyian theosophy and the Book of Enoch, continuing with the works of Lovecraft, Howard, Moorcock to classical mythology, and then Arthurian legend and Kabbalah....just must be read.

Then comes a comic strip history of Empire and the mythic hero. And, this is only 1/4 of the way through the book.

Amidst all the fun but less than substantial comics I've been reading, this year it's books like Alice and Sunderland and this that remind me why I love comics.

In fact, while it may not have the revolutionary experimental art of Sunderland, I do believe this book beats Talbot's as my pick for Book of the Year.

This is very much worth the price.

We don't know. I'd guess that the Absolute edition will be oversized (like all the others have been), and might feature some form of 'bonus material', most likely Moore's script and some miscellaneous concept design sketches and preliminary work from O'Neill.

...and the vinyl record that was going to be in the original edition, apparently.

Curses!

I was browsing and I think I might've spoiled it.

I read the name Peel, Drummond, Harry Line and learned that Greyfriars is a spy training school.

Am I screwed?

...and the vinyl record that was going to be in the original edition, apparently.

Yeah, I noticed that in a few of the interviews Moore's been giving (all of which make the book sound fantastic, by the way - I felt after Vol. 2 that the League concept had been more-or-less mined out, but it seems that Moore and O'Neill have come up with some ideas which should allow them to keep the concept fresh and interesting (possibly even moreso than in the first two outings, in fact) for a good while yet). Back when I made the post you quoted, it hadn't been announced that the single wouldn't be included in the standard edition of the book, so it didn't occur to me to mention it.

The episode of the Simpsons with Alan Moore, along with Daniel Clowes and Art Spiegelman, was on last night.

They even referenced Asterix and Tin-Tin!

Only the first half of the episode involved the comic book plot though.

Eh, it wasn't all that funny an episode.

I was surprised that Moore's voice is so deep though. I'd never heard him speak before, and for some reason, didn't expect him to have such a deep voice.

Oh. I did not know that.

Mine is a copy of the comic downloaded from the internet on a CD-Rom, actually.

Mine too. :D

Hell, all things comic I own are that way, except for that Wolverine\Civil Bore arc. :icon_mad:

There are torrents with the audio files, you know.

Yeah, that was probably the funniest thing in that episode.

Moore then went on a rant talking about what conglomerates have done to his creative property....and then, I forget....my memory grows hazy....