Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Talking to a snake made of socks - Alan Moore

Yeah, that was probably the funny thing in that episode.

Agreed. Well, that and "Maus is in the house".

The excellence of the "Watchmen Babies" gag is actually made even better when you see this image, which is an honest-to-god genuine promotional image for the upcoming DC Countdown: Arena miniseries, apparently from Wizard magazine:

1965679123_145372da26_o-1.jpg

It's such a blatantly lowest-common-denominator bit of fanboy-teasing that I'm almost in awe. My response lies somewhere in between "I can't believe they had the nerve to do this" and "Have they no fucking shame?"* (with, I'll shame-facedly admit, a tiny modicum of "awesome, DKR Batman just back-handed Rorshach right in the face" thrown in for good measure, which makes me feel all dirty inside). I'm fairly sure that this is just DC deciding "fuck it, he's said he'll never work for us again whatever happens, so let's just go nuts".

Every so often I'll check out a Simpsons episode which I've heard good things about, to see if it'll make me change my mind about giving up on it a good few years ago. Sadly, it never does, and this wasn't really an exception. It was amusing to see animated versions of Moore et al (I wonder how many of the regular viewers were able to make head or tail of that whole sequence? Still, massive kudos for actually getting a Lost Girls poster in there - even though most of the viewers won't have heard of it, I still wouldn't have expected them to get away with that), but the episode was still pretty lousy overall.

*Apparently the Watchmen characters don't actually appear within the comic itself, just in this promotional image. So, the answer to that question is still "a tiny bit, yes". For now.

No, like I said, it wasn't a very good episode, and the comic book plot was only in the first half of the episode.

I'm sure with probably 80% of regular Simpsons viewers, all the comic book in-jokes flew over their heads.

I was surprised to see Daniel Clowes and hear references to Tin-Tin, because it is speaking to such a small audience.

vlcsnap-231215.png

Well that was...weird.

Bart: "Alan Moore! you wrote my favourite issues of Radioactiveman"

Alan Moore: "Oh really? so you like that i made your favourite superhero a heroin addicted, jazz critic, who's not radioactive?"

Bart: "I don't read the words i just like it when he punches people, how do you make his costume stick so close to his muscles?"

Alan Moore: "uurrrgh" puts head in hands

Milhouse: "Mr Moore, will you sign my DVD of Watchmen Babies? which of the babies is your favourite?"

Alan Moore: "you see what those bloody corporations do!? they take your ideas and they suck them!, suck them like leaches! until they've got every last drop of the marrow from your bones!"

Art Spiegleman: "hey t-comp (?) why don't you chill out?"

Alan Moore: "sigh, very well" reads a little lulu comic "heheheh oh little lulu I love youlu just the same, ahhhhh."

Art Spiegleman: "hey t-comp (?) why don't you chill out?"

Tea-cup, I thought.

Rubbish quality, but you get the idea. (It links to a video)

th_Untitled-3.jpg

Here's a geeky catalogue of the comic book geek sight gags in that episode.

vlcsnap-391295.png

vlcsnap-391380.png

vlcsnap-391439.png

vlcsnap-391564.png

Born Again Robin

vlcsnap-391710.png

Caveman Robin

vlcsnap-391759.png

Black Robin

vlcsnap-392161.png

vlcsnap-392601.png

Superman moves to Gotham, in a dream Jimmy Olsen has after being kicked in the head by Wonder Woman's horse.

vlcsnap-394115.png

The Mulk kicks a tidal wave into the sun.

vlcsnap-394180.png

I thought Moore did a pretty good job there.

What's with all the Robin covers, by the way? Did they go through a phase of reinventing Robin all the time?

And are Marvel really so much more litigious than DC that they couldn't use the real Thing or Hulk? Or is it that those jokes wouldn't count as a parody of the original works?

I was a bit confused about changing the names of Hulk and Thing. Especially since an earlier episode guest-starring Stan Lee referenced the Hulk by name.

Oh, continuity alert!

I'm not sure why they used Robin as the character. Besides having Robin I, II, III, IV...I don't believe they reinvented Robin like that. I was thinking it was referencing the Silver Age Jimmy Olsen stories from his solo title. But, moreso, I think it was just a shot at the habit the big two companies have of trying to increase interest in a character by going over the top to make them edgy and cool, in the same way they were taking a shot at big event cross-overs...."Born Again Robin"....heh...."Death of Casper"...heh

I did laugh at that part though.

Re-read LoEG:BD a few times, definately gets better with repeat readings, except the Kerouac stuff.

I'm not clear on one thing, though.

How did Mina find out that it was Bond that killed Knight?

Londoners!

Which of you lot are going to make your way to the Mr & Mrs Alan Moore signing at Gosh! this Saturday?

I might just foreswear gruff men playing Rugby for a few pints at the Angel/Glasshouse instead?

I saw in the shop, while I was going to ask about the Vertigo Tarot Deck, a DVD about Alan Moore.

mindscape.jpg

http://www.paulgravett.com/events/mindscape/mindscape.htm

Should I get it? Is it worthly? Or it's just a dvd for the extreme fans? (Alan Moore is just some steps under Masamune Shirow in my Heaven hierarchy)

Should I get it? Is it worthly? Or it's just a dvd for the extreme fans?

If its a bargain then go ahead. It has him talk about how he got into comics and magic and stuff, I enjoyed it.

Also there are filmed scenes from V for Vendetta and Watchmen, the first is eerily similar to the film version.

Got the dvd. Very good. I really liked it, it was very interesting and fun.

There's a rant about Alan on the website CHUD.com called "Is Alan Moore a hypocrite?" While the title might make you roll your eyes, I think it actually makes an interesting point.

EDIT: Sorry to make everyone download Kejoxen's massive screen grabs again.

Edited by JasonT

Ah yes. But, the authors are making the elementary mistake of not realizing that what Alan Moore is doing is called "post-modern".

What Hollywood is doing is buying up properties, turning the plot into the most easily digestable denominators, and churning it out for their demeaning opinion of the masses.

One form gets raved about in college classrooms. The other is considered "low art" and scorned by the intellectuals.

The author answers his own points very well in this one quote, "Does Moore think what he does with established characters is more fair game because it's done in the name of deconstruction?". Well, yes, exactly.

Isn't Moore's point that the adaptations of his work are frequently one-dimensional, "dumbed down" (God, I hate that phrase) takes on his work, which add nothing to the original, and display little in the way of new creative thought? By comparison, Moore's adaptations and liftings aren't even in the same ballpark. Sure, he's possibly included some fairly outré reworkings of much loved characters, but always to an artistic end, to challenge an audience, rather than to pander to, as Christian brilliantly puts it, a demeaning opinion of the masses.

I'm not going to second-guess him, but I would stake good money that if someone were to take his stories, or characters, and rework them to the kind of degree he has done with plots/characters in, say, LXG or Watchmen, he'd be considerably more impressed.

There's glimpses of LoEG: Century #1 (due in April, I believe) halfway through this page.

It has Tom Carnaki recalling a 007 movie intro. Nice.

Akhira! Translate!

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/League/Century/page4.JPG

http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/League/Century/page5.JPG