Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Talking to a snake made of socks - Alan Moore

Again cheers for the tickets Ade.

Film Director Nic Roeg was there to seemingly endorse Volume 2 of Loeg: Century.

It appears as much as Brecht's Three Penny Opera formed a template for 1910, Roeg's Performance will do the same for 1969.

The second volume will serve in part as a prequel to both Get Carter and Performance.

By Rohne's account the next one will be lots of trippy drugs stuff rather than songs.

Although perhaps Big Audio Dynamite will get a bit of a cavort?

Sorry that was so brief yesterday, Rohne, like I said, let's have a pint on new comics day some time.

I rather liked the use of the Brecht/Weill numbers to comment on the action, myself.

I rather liked the use of the Brecht/Weill numbers to comment on the action, myself.

So did I. I even, along with Mr. and Mrs. Walrus spent the Friday before last trying to record Moore's version of Mack the Knife. But I've had my fill of the concept. I liked the Pirate Janni and Mack numbers, but didn't like the others as I'd never heard those beforeenough.

Ade, I'll try to drop off your signed copy.

Probably Sunday.

Not around Sunday. How about a comic day sometime soon?

So did I. I even, along with Mr. and Mrs. Walrus spent the Friday before last trying to record Moore's version of Mack the Knife. But I've had my fill of the concept. I liked the Pirate Janni and Mack numbers, but didn't like the others as I'd never heard those beforeenough.

I was very taken with the Janni/Jenny gag as well, to be honest. That and the Lulu Schon cameo were nicely done. (You can tell O'Neill enjoyed drawing Louise Brooks as well...)

So, in the alternate 1985 of the Watchmen, it was just acceptable for people to smoke meth in public?

vlcsnap184529.png

vlcsnap189221.png

So, in the alternate 1985 of the Watchmen, it was just acceptable for people to smoke meth in public?

Aren't they a sort of cannabis ball? It's a good few years since I last read the book, but I recall it's fairly well spelt out.

It's one of those things that the pissawful movie skipped over, anyway.

Grant Morrison had a mop top in 1986, there's loads of pictures of comics creators on display in the gallery in Orbital Comics at the moment.

They're hash pipes? But when I was in a head shop one time...uh...buying a newspaper...I saw those glass pipes and they were being sold as oil incense burners, which I didn't think was very practical because they had no base on which to rest. It would roll over and spill the oil! Then I was told you hold it and put the flame to the bowl's underside. I coulda sworn they were devices like those pictured. But I guess I shouldn't trust what I hear in a head shop, I reckon.

I'm not sure it's even dope: it could be just an alternative way of smoking tobacco given how widespread the things are: I don't think you see anybody younger than forty smoking proper cigarettes in the comic, do you?

Nope - Laurie smokes those glass things all the time, and there's never any indication in conversation that they're anything but tobacco. Just another parallel-universe signifier, I suspect, like the electric cars and the inevitable zeppelins.

Why are there always zeppelins?

Anyone know where it comes from, though? I've wondered before.

Well, they've certainly got an air of other-worldly-ness, probably due to their slow wandering across across the skies. But they also have a very strong element of familiarity, so it doesn't seem too far out past the realms of our reality. Just unusual enough, not too fantastical.

I'd always assumed that, because we've never managed to make them a practical means of mass transport, it's a easy way of showing that "hey, this world's different, they've developed technologies we cast aside". Like parallel world wombles.

But why zeppelins rather than any other technology? No idea, apart from their simplicity.

No, I get all of that - I'm just wondering when it first appeared. I'm fairly sure it predates Moore by a good few years, not least because - and I say this with the caveat that I think he's the finest writer comics have ever produced - Moore's best work is almost always comprised largely of ideas cribbed from other sources, and Watchmen is no exception.