Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Talking to a snake made of socks - Alan Moore

Oh, right. Sorry, misunderstood.

No idea who first used them for this purpose. I'd imagine you're right in thinking it wasn't Alan Moore, but more because the use of this trope seems too widespread to have been solely picked up from Watchmen.

No idea who first used them for this purpose. I'd imagine you're right in thinking it wasn't Alan Moore, but more because the use of this trope seems too widespread to have been solely picked up from Watchmen.

Michael Moorcock's 'The Warlord of the Air' (1971) might be a contender for the first use of airships in an alternative-universe story.

I assume things like HG Wells' 'The War in the Air' or various Vernes don't count for this, as the airships there were straight futuristic tech rather than a signifier of alternate-worldness.

Michael Moorcock's 'The Warlord of the Air' (1971) might be a contender for the first use of airships in an alternative-universe story.

I assume things like HG Wells' 'The War in the Air' or various Vernes don't count for this, as the airships there were straight futuristic tech rather than a signifier of alternate-worldness.

It goes back further than Moorcock in the early '70s.

I wish it was going to look like the underground newspapers of the 1960s.

Ah, that's just something that time (progress) will never allow to be duplicated.

There was quite a charm to something like The Rag.

I dunno how hard it'll be to get ahold of Dodgem Logic in Australia, but I'm keen. Thanks for the link, Husamuddin. There's a complete 15-page interview with Alan Moore accessible through that link too.

Do you still want one of these?

PM me your address if so.

Same offer to the first other person to PM me to say they want one.

A very belated thought about the whole "airships in alternative history fiction" Mark and Atticus were on about: I think it's probably because airships are a potentially cheap and efficient form of air transport that never took off in a big way in reality, so they've become an easy signifier that history took a different turn somewhere if an author has them all over the place. Most of the reason they went out of favour was due to the Hindenberg burning up, after all, so that's going to be something else that'll endear them to people who think that history is personal rather than statistical (which is to say, most writers with a taste for alternative histories...)

Having killed the thread a month or so back, perhaps I can revive it with a question somebody here might be able to answer?

Somebody wonderful has just bought me a copy of Alan Moore's The Worm. Now I'd not heard of this, but it looks very interesting. I'm wondering what Moore's contribution to it was, as other scriptwriters are credited (among them some lad from Belfast and Mark's favourite Doctor Who script editor) on the index page. Did he just come up with the idea and provide one of his very detailed outlines for it?

<a href="http://www.newsarama.com/comics/040928-Moore3.html" target="_blank">Bill Rawls,</a> as a vicious a fuck as you've ever seen will be in Century #3.

Well, not precisely, but still!

Some time around 2012 after the Aztec calender runs out...

He contributed the outline to it.

I thought Peter Hogan was one of the main co-ordinator/editors and possibly David LLoyd.

Lots of writers and artists collaborated on it in one room, and Peter gave me some advice about such projects when I embarked upon the Just 1 Page 24 minute comic.

That advice was "YOU HAVE TO BE CRAZY".

Thanks, Ade.

The contributors list doesn't mention Peter Hogan, but it was published through Slab O Concrete and was a London Cartoon Centre thing, so was he involved with either or both of those? As it seems to be dated 1999, I don't think his agency was still around then, but maybe he lent some of the connections he'd made to the project?

David Lloyd is definitely involved, though, and he gets an afterword as well.

I've always said that your book would be in public domain when the series ended.

Oh hold on, I was conflating this with the comic relief one which he edited: The Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational And Utterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic (from 1991).

I realised my mistake when you said 1999 (although I think the worm was produced a fair bit earlier than it was published) as that'd be after Just 1 Page started.

Am sure he helped out on the day though.

Is The Worm that comic that is a continuous narrative flow from page to page?

Something like that.

It was described as some sort of experimental project.

I think it's talked about in The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore, biography of Moore book, that came out when Moore was "officially" retiring.

Yeah, OK, I looked it up.

Described as "the longest comic srip in the world".

According to the book, "Moore devised the storyline for this story which would end up being scripted by five writers and illustrated by over 125 British artists."

It's listed as being from 1999.

So, there ya go.

Now this, The Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational And Utterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic, is nearly impossible to find.

Now this, The Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational And Utterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic, is nearly impossible to find.

No it isn't, I know exactly where my copy is.

Heh heh heh.

Oh hold on, I was conflating this with the comic relief one which he edited: The Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational And Utterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic (from 1991).

I realised my mistake when you said 1999 (although I think the worm was produced a fair bit earlier than it was published) as that'd be after Just 1 Page started.

Am sure he helped out on the day though.

Right, I should have been more clear which one I had. The Comic Relief thing is like rocking horse shit now, isn't it?

It looks like it was produced to be displayed long before it was published, you're right. The afterword prints his very detailed break down and outline of the story in full, transcribed from the message he left on the phone for somebody (presumably David Lloyd, who seems to have designed the character as well as doing a few panels).

The really funny thing is that there's very little dialogue, which doesn't suit Garth Ennis' approach to scripting comics at all, though he has been given the talkiest bit of the story to write...

I've always said that your book would be in public domain when the series ended.

Word.

It is, however, very funny. Thanks for the link.