Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Talking to a snake made of socks - Alan Moore

I quite enjoyed The Starry Wisdom (still have a copy of that one somewhere), but I freely admit that I was a bit peeved about the inclusion of Ballard and Burroughs reprints that had sod all to do with Lovecraft. It was, if nothing else, a lot more interesting than any of the Lovecraft pastiche collections that were being published elsewhere at the same time.

I thought they were inside a dome, too. But it's another dimension, really? Cool...

http://sounds.bl.uk/View.aspx?item=024M-C0095X0300XX-0100V0.xml

Duration: 00:56:10

Shelf mark: C95/300

Subjects: Visual Arts

Recording date: 1987-09-04

Collection: ICA Talks

Recording locations: Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, England, UK

Recordists: British Library Sound Archive

Speakers: Moore, Alan (male). Murray, Charles Shaar (male).

Description:

A discussion of Moore's work on the weekly comic '2000 AD', as well as his graphic novels 'Swamp Thing' and 'The Watchmen' sequence.

Good new interview with big hairy Al from Wired -

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/08/alan-moore/

I don’t think you can separate time and place. I don’t think you can separate a place from its history. I think a place is much more than the bricks and mortar that go into its construction. I think it’s more than the accidental topography of the ground it stands on. These are important factors, but surely the most important factors about any place or person is what they have been. Their helps to tell you what they mean. If you have that kind of insight into the tawdry and debased streets in which most of us spend our lives, then instead of walking down a rat trap you are walking through cataclysmic history, from your personal memories to the local legends. Then the rat trap becomes a fable, a mythological landscape. And just as living in rat trap will give you the impression you live in a rat trap, then l suspect that living in a mythological landscape might after a while give you the subliminal impression that you are at least a mythological figure. A heroic character in your own narrative. I think it would be better if we felt like that rather than victims of our environment. That would empower us, and put some genuine energy back into the streets in which we live.

Also a short interview in the Irish Times -

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0810/1224276465599.html

The big long long-lost 'Fossil Angels' essay from the BHA on the state of magic has just appeared online -

http://glycon.livejournal.com/13888.html

Regard the world of magic. A scattering of occult orders which, when not attempting to disprove each other’s provenance, are either cryogenically suspended in their ritual rut, their game of Aiwaz Says, or else seem lost in some Dungeons & Dragons sprawl of channelled spam, off mapping some unfalsifiable and thus completely valueless new universe before they’ve demonstrated that they have so much as a black-lacquered fingernail’s grip on the old one. Self-consciously weird transmissions from Tourette’s-afflicted entities, from glossolalic Hammer horrors. Fritzed-out scrying bowls somehow receiving trailers from the Sci-Fi channel. Far too many secret chiefs, and, for that matter, far too many secret indians.

Beyond this, past the creaking gates of the illustrious societies, dilapidated fifty-year-old follies where they start out with the plans for a celestial palace but inevitably end up with the Bates Motel, outside this there extends the mob. The psyche pikeys. Incoherent roar of our hermetic home-crowd, the Akashic anoraks, the would-be wiccans and Temple uv Psychic Forty-Somethings queuing up with pre-teens for the latest franchised fairyland, realm of the irretrievably hobbituated. Pottersville.

Some background -

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/20/unearthing-alan-moores-fossil-angels/

It's a much better diss than that "occultnik" line the twat Lavey came out with, isn't it?

How lame do you have to be to be a "would-be" Wiccan?

Setting our sights a tad low, me thinks...

Did LaVey say that, Dog?

I was so entranced by LaVey when I was reading him in high school I missed just how immature and stupid a lot of his writings actually were.

I thought his big put down was "magicK".

It's not in his shitawful books, but I've seen him use the line in interviews. If you read the lengthy whine he has in that RE/Search Modern Primitives book, he spends a lot of time whittering about that.

Oh, OK.

I had to look that one up.

I thought it was about primitivism. I was thinking, LaVey does not belong there, his conservatism is that regressive.

"I remember what it was like back in the good ol' days of the 1940s. That was when Satanism was a big part of American culture." Umm..No, I think they were still burning Satanists then...

I don't think I have any interest in reading a book about why someone pierces their nutsacks...it's just fine enough that they do, I don't need a reason.

It's actually very funny on that level: the number of people who seem to think that a couple of crap tattoos and a prince albert makes them vastly more spiritual and deeply superior to the rest of the human race in there is deeply amusing. Amazingly, Genesis P Orridge doesn't come across as the smuggest wanker in the book on that level.

The really funny thing is the way the tattooists who are interviewed have a lot more to say that's interesting rather than the self aggrandising bullshit the occultists and industrial musicians come out with. They're far less up themselves.

Yeah, I thought he'd already quit superhero comics. Is that old news?

He needs to concentrate on that Bumper Book of Magic! It was announced a few years ago, and it's release date is set for 2013!

Shit, the world is going to end in December of 2012, so it looks like we'll never see that thing.

He's also working on his next novel, Jerusalem. That's behind schedule now.

He has LOEG to finish up, and I wouldn't mind seeing him concentrate on getting those two books out sooner before he does any more projects.

I'd much rather see less Neonomicon type projects...although I understand he signed up for that just to make some quick cash because he was in debt.

Has Neonomicon 3 come out yet? Or has the release schedule moved onto that deathless Alan Moore Time (AMT)?

Silly walks in panel 4?

I'm more taken with the combined Terry Southern and Evelyn Waugh gag.

Name and headline of the newspaper in the first panel. I'm guessing it reads in full:

'Millionaire Guy Grand gives away fortune'

as per Southern's 'The Magic Christian'.

The 'Daily Brute' was one of the newspapers in Waugh's 'Scoop', of course.

Yeah, I give Jess Nevins tips every now and then.