A. Heathen

"Is Jon Vankin losing it?"

What I really want is Mina to write a stronger love interest than Kit. I want the first female writer on Hellblazer to create a new love for John. I'm sorry, but let's leave Angie in the dust for now...the ending Carey gave her was more than suitable enough for me.

While I agree that I'd be more than happy to see the end of Angie, why does everyone think John always need a love interest?

He's supposed to be a loner and emotionally uninvolved, but yet he's always dating some woman.

Why not leave him single for a while?

Having John get married to a woman who's perhaps a better magician but not as experienced who gets him back in the game might be an interesting concept. It could add a different dynamic to Hellblazer to have John team up with someone his equal and it could give a new perspective to all the usual demon and vampire jazz. It sounds a bit naff at first but in the right hands it could be something fresh.

Firstly I think John needs the occasional "romance" to drive home to him how much he's missing due to his lifestyle. The relationship with Kit seems to have been lifted from the standard book of alcoholics' families, and as such worked very well - and that's why Kit should not be brought back.

The occasional passing appearance of exes, such as we got from Mike's run, also works well in that context.

At present, I'd say that his relationship with Angie should be seen as in the air.

I do not think it's been concluded at all.

Prior to all the memory/empathy stuff, they were heading a certain way and events took over. By my reading, John has gone off to do his own thing with a suggestion that he'll see Angie again, perhaps only to end it properly. I would certainly expect Angie to be continuing her support of Gemma (hey vertigo, perhaps they are Lesbanians now ? Quick, get on the transgender hotline!)

I'd really like to see Denise Mina give us a decent focus on one of John's many flings, because as good as Neil Gaiman, Mike Carey and (remarkably in the case of Kit) Garth Ennis were at creating believable female foils for John, they were still male-driven characters.

Neil Gaiman is magic at capturing the female perspective. He wrote that short story about the little girl having her first period. I read it to Terri. Terri was shocked and amazed that a man could've ever understood the female body in the way that Gaiman did.

Anyway Adrian, if you mean in a flashback tale or a solo tale by Mina to flesh out a female lead (other than Kit), I'd be all for that.

That really reminds me of how vacuous Ellis's mini tale (drawn by Pulido) of a all those-past-girlfriends-of-John's were.

He couldn't be fucked to actually use any established ex's either.

Also, how exactly does the lack of other canonical exes make the story "vacuous"? It was a rumination on parts of John's life which we, as readers, have never seen, and as such I liked it, although it would have been a little thin as the issue-length piece which Ellis apparently originally intended it to be. As it stands, I wish it had been paired with a better story than "Setting Sun", but it's still a nice little short.

wait i think pulido drew the half with the ww2 doctor and james romburger drew the one with the ex's i only kinda sorta remember because the one pulido drew is scary as hell.

apologies if i'm wrong about you being wrong testosterohne.

Also, how exactly does the lack of other canonical exes make the story "vacuous"? It was a rumination on parts of John's life which we, as readers, have never seen, and as such I liked it, although it would have been a little thin as the issue-length piece which Ellis apparently originally intended it to be. As it stands, I wish it had been paired with a better story than "Setting Sun", but it's still a nice little short.

Besides my sentence structure, one thing had nothing specifically to do with the other.

But even taking the issue's length into account, it appeared extremely hollow to me.

"The odd boyfriend..." anyone?

John'n'Chas waking up in bed together, naked and sticky, is a foregone conclusion.

In the slash fic I write, anyway.

For all the flaws of his run, I quite enjoyed the Manor/Constantine relationship from Azzarello's stint.

Oh, and because old habits die hard and I can't contain myself....

On a side note, when did so many comic readers (a largely male audience) become such wimps? During Mark Waid's run on FLASH in the 90s, readers wrote in about how the true heart of the title was the romance between Wally & Linda. Such responses only seemed to encourage Waid to turn on the schmaltz, with Wally & Linda's exchanges sinking into the equivalent of the "YOU'RE SCHMOOPSY!" episode of Seinfeld. Blech. These days we see it with readers who adore the "loving" relationships between Clark & Lois and Peter & MJ. Maybe Marvel and DC should start producing a line of romance comics for these Marys.

Apart from the crap Batman/Joker subtext, I agree. It didn't entirely work in execution, but the idea was solid enough, and there were enough bits I liked for it to work for me, on the whole.

"The odd boyfriend..." anyone?

John'n'Chas waking up in bed together, naked and sticky, is a foregone conclusion.

IS JOHN CONSTANTINE BI-- oh, never mind.

I think Hellblazer readers tend to be quite a sophisticated bunch in terms of their reading and so are not neccessarily looking for the same old storylines to be retold with a slight new twist.

I would welcome a change of direction to focus on the more seemingly mundane aspects of his life with the supernatural stuff in the background.

Like Ade I don't believe the relationship with Angie has been at all resolved and we should see a return of her to come to a kind of resolution in some fashion.

Prior to all the memory/empathy stuff, they were heading a certain way and events took over. By my reading, John has gone off to do his own thing with a suggestion that he'll see Angie again, perhaps only to end it properly. I would certainly expect Angie to be continuing her support of Gemma (hey vertigo, perhaps they are Lesbanians now ? Quick, get on the transgender hotline!)

HA! I'd love to see Gemma trying so hard to become John II that she tries to woo his ex..

I think Hellblazer readers tend to be quite a sophisticated bunch in terms of their reading and so are not neccessarily looking for the same old storylines to be retold with a slight new twist.

I would welcome a change of direction to focus on the more seemingly mundane aspects of his life with the supernatural stuff in the background.

Jenkins baby!

But is he traded at all?

No.

HA! I'd love to see Gemma trying so hard to become John II that she tries to woo his ex..

That's delivered as a joke, but it could be an interesting story.

Agreed. And it's a damn sight better than the old "I wonder what happened to that character who appeared for one page 100+ issues ago" mentality.

Guest spiderlegs
I'm also a little more positively-inclined towards Mina's story than a lot of people here, but there's no doubt that it could have been vastly better with more effective, hands-on contributions from the editor.

I purchased a ticket on the same boat as Mark.

I actually like the suggestion of Paul Pope as a writer after Mina. I think he could get his shit together for a monthly.

As for John's love interest a la Mina: I think one is brewing. The gallery chick who hates Cole? Anyone? Anyone?

I'm also a little more positively-inclined towards Mina's story than a lot of people here, but there's no doubt that it could have been vastly better with more effective, hands-on contributions from the editor.

I purchased a ticket on the same boat as Mark.

I actually like the suggestion of Paul Pope as a writer after Mina. I think he could get his shit together for a monthly.

As for John's love interest a la Mina: I think one is brewing. The gallery chick who hates Cole? Anyone? Anyone?

She's still waiting in the car? :happy:

I can only assume she must have called the police or something when John didn't return.

Maybe she got clobbered by the zealous monk too.