Sign in to follow this  
James

Alan Moore on Radio Four

From Cook'd and Bomb'd:

Sorry if this has been mentioned in a different thread, but I thought I'd put it here. Apparently, there's a new radio 4 show called "Chain Reaction", where one interviewer interviews someone of their choice, then the interviewee goes on to interview someone else, etc, etc. In the first show, it's Jenny Elcair interviewing Jimmy Carr .

BUT an upcoming show will have Stewart Lee interviewing Alan Moore. The subesquent show will be Alan Moore interviewing someone of his choice!

Get tickets here.

Blimey, I might have to pull a sickie two weeks in a row to make the recordings.

Anyone want to meet me down there? Presumably it'll be Jimmy Carr interviewing someone else (Stewart Lee?) next week, so I've got at least two weeks to go. It's a 12:30pm recording, so you could get in and out in a day (obviously not an option for John).

Overseas blokes and blokettes will be able to listen to streaming audio from the Radio 4 site.

Overseas blokes and blokettes will be able to listen to streaming audio from the Radio 4 site.

Coolness. 8-)

This page says that the date's not been fixed for Moore's chat just yet, which means I've jumped the gun a bit.

Still, this page makes it clear that they're recording these things out of sequence, so it could be any time. I'll keep an eye on the ticket situation and get back as soon as I find out.

Last night.

An hour of entertaining (ie funny) conversation about comics that did not take the piss out of comics.

Alan Moore & Stewart Lee

("I wish you'd done a Superman story with the Moby Dick of Space" "The what?")

Rich Johnston taking notes, so watch his column this week.

My own notes re Constantine and Swamp Thing ("a six foot tall man covered in snot") will follow later.

Please hurry!

An hour seems awfully short, unless the show itself is only half an hour/40 minutes long. Could someone check their Radio Times and see how long it actually lasts?

Anyone wanting to see the Moore/Brian Eno interview should go here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/chain_eno.shtml

And the Eno/Moore is Tuesday afternoon.

So I can't go.

Reckon the show will be cut down to about half an hour, sadly.

About V for Vendetta: There's a long tradition of Anti-heroes in British comics (more so than American ones) maybe it's a trend that goes back to Robin Hood, Dick Turpin, Hereward the Wake ... Mad Frankie Fraser.

About awards that got him noticed by DC: Fifty people in anoraks voted for the awards, which led to Swamp Thing. Thanks !

About Swamp Thing: "A man who looked like a load of vegetables and lived in a swamp" Stewart Lee. "Hamlet covered in snot" Alan Moore.

About refusing all future film money from adaptations of his work for hire:

I don't know what I was thinking, but on the other hand, it's worth it just for the looks on Hollywood producers' faces. After the League of X-Gentlemen, there'd been a lawsuits and I decided I'd had enough.

If I'm going to react, I might as well over-react.

So I announced that all the money from my share should go to the artists.

It was principled, almost heroic.

The Karen Berger contacted me and said they would be sending me a huge amount of money because they were making a film from Hellblazer and I said take my name off it. Then soon after, Dave Gibbons said "they are making Watchmen" and with tears in my eyes, I said "take my name off it". (laughing)

If you listen closely at that point you may hear someone discreetly hissing.

Don't know who that guy was.

My tickets for that interview arrived on Friday. The interview was recorded on Thursday. Arse.

Well, it's possible that the tickets for the Moore/Eno show will get here in time...now THERE'S one I'll be interested in. Brian Eno is another hero of mine, and everyone in the world should own a copy of 'Another Green World'.

Oh, and once the programme's aired in the UK (whenever that is), just check out www.bbc.co.uk/radio4, and you should find a streamed version of the programme somewhere.

Ade, were there any more mentions of Constantine.

Where do you download the interviews.

You'll have to wait until after it's been played on the radio, in late December.