JohnMcMahon

alter-native New Yorker - Brian Wood

Because he's doing a Vikings comic for Vertigo.

Supermarket is just about to wrap, though I don't see it on the ship list for this week. Future Yakuza thriller wil scrumptuous art.

Local seems to have disappeared, presumably because of his recent eye problems.

DMZ is rattling along, a recent excursion outside the warzone offered a brief glimpse into Matty himself, long overdue as it was.

"NORTHLANDERS is not a barbarian title, a fantasy book, not pure hack-and-slash, and it's not going to be full of half-naked men wearing horns talking to their gods. Mythology will really take a back seat in this book in favor of real people and day-to-day life. I have yet to see a comic treat Vikings the way I want to, which is good. I remember reading in the Times about that movie Pathfinder, and how the filmmaker explained why they had to use historically incorrect things like horned helmets, saying that depicting these people as they actually were would be kind of boring, would be too "quaint". I strongly disgaree!"

More...

Sounds good.

Still, i'm a bit concerned seeing how many writers start off with one title, then start writing another, and it very often takes its toll on the quality of the series, and causes delays.

Reread the three Couriers OGNs last night, still found them to be fun shooty stories though the art in 02 is all over the shop - barely passing as rough sketches in places. Some internet-nostalgia word association games to be played as certain key phrases are bound to strike a chord with old Delphi Forum types.

Oh, and vikings :

406771912_f85ac235fc.jpg

Guest spiderlegs

So, if you loved him and he left you, you could call the thread "Mourning Wood." And if he played backup center for the Heat, you could call it "Alonzo Mourning Wood." Or or or if you woke up and...

*coughs*

Anyway, found a copy of Culture Spit (a zine Brian did with, I think, an old girlfriend) whilst cleaning up some stuff the other day. Pretty nondescript stuff though there's a Wood illustrated comic in there that's not a hundred million miles away from Channel Zero, thematically at least.

Only the first two issues ever came out here for some reason, but unless the final page was a splash of his drooling face with the "...fucking you in the ass" line from Wanted I doubt it's bad enough to turn me off his work.

DMZ is easily the best of the last round of Vertigo launches, and whilst that's not saying much it's a genuinely good read in its own right too.

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/cr...iew_brian_wood/

SPURGEON: Now that you're a couple of years into doing DMZ, has that experience been what you thought it would be? Has it been surprising in any way. On the one hand, there's a jumpiness and prickliness about political ideas as seen in the recent incident where Scott King was hassled at an airport because of some of the imagery in your comic; at the same time, we're a very satire-rich culture where you can say just about anything and it seems to become a part of things rather than dangerously standing out. Are you able to accomplish what you want to accomplish with DMZ given the tenor of the times?

WOOD: Sometimes I am a little surprised it hasn't been received as more "shocking" than it has, considering current events, but like you said there is a lot of similar material out there. Everywhere I go, everyone I know, people are fully aware of how fucked up and shitty our government is, how illegal and crooked they are, and how wrong the war is. So DMZ is preaching to the converted, absolutely, so what it takes to stand out is what angle you take, the style you work in. DMZ definitely has its angle. And yeah, I am accomplishing what I want. I've not once been censored or talked out of anything by anyone at DC.

and more on Northlanders.

He's coming to London early in January.

I just finished reading the amina one shot and he always tells a good story which I admire more than trick endings or explosions... I love the cover of northlanders the art is very like book art of the 60's and seventies...

Here you go Christian: Amina

As mentioned, Brian's in London town next weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to meet up with him.

Looking back he's done some of my favourite comics of the last ten years - I certainly preferred his and Steven Grant's versions of the Warren Ellis x-event. DMZ is an absolute gem (for all you supe-heads, imagine if Batman "No Man's Land" was a real-life story.

Oh, I see. It's a story from DMZ.

Local is the only work by Wood I'd consider to be one of my favourite comics in recent memory.

I liked Ellis and Grant's X-Man the best of that X-vamp, but Brian Wood's Generation X was really good.

sorry I confused you christian.... I read the wilson one shot ( of dmz christion) and found it to be very true about war in general how one man usually rises to become like an emperor or king of a land by making very cool grasp of powers... that if the war never happened would be a nothing... (by war I mean the fictious happenings in dmz christian)

I read Local regularly I guess. I really loved Demo and consider myself a Becky Cloonan stalker. I think she does too. I finally got her to write me back after 30 emails. I love her, ergot, I love Brian WOod, for sharing his creativity with her. Demo just really got inside my head. At first it was all about the dark side of being someone with superpowers, then it turned into this deep inspection of human insanity, or humanity. All the characters had big flaws and they were all basically anybody you might meet except for whatever big topic facing them in the issue covered. One of my favorites was the mix tape issue and I liked the break up issue, too.

And I read DMZ, Jenny One, Channel Zero, Couriers, and I'm about to get Northlanders.

There was an impromptu interview with Brian at Orbital Comics yesterday and he confirmed there will be a new series of Demo from Vertigo. He was also talking about it in the context of things he was not allowed to do by editorial - ie have a protagonist who was not a hero by the end of the book.

The interview should be online at some point.

I'm sorry I missed it, it would've been a great way to skive off work for the afternoon, but that five hour afternoon kip was almost worth it.

I really loved Demo and consider myself a Becky Cloonan stalker.

I love her art, the highest praise I can give it is that it got me to buy ten or so issues of American Virgin. I've never read any of her solo stuff, is that East Coast Rising manga book thing any good ?

I'd highly recommend The Pirates Of Coney Island if you haven't read it already - she provides alternate covers and the artist is clearly influenced by her style. Having said that, I think the last issue is running months late so probably better waiting for a trade. It's stop stuff though.

Ade, I know you took pictures at Orbital, don't be shy now....