JohnMcMahon

alter-native New Yorker - Brian Wood

Long time since this thread got some action.

Here's some news for forum folks:

Brian Wood Appearances 2009

May 22-23 - Oslo Comics Expo, Norway

http://www.oslocomicsexpo.no/

Nov 13-15 - Dublin City Comic Con, Ireland

http://www.dublincitycomiccon.com/

I might even make the latter one myself depending how the year goes.

I really loved Demo and consider myself a Becky Cloonan stalker.

I love her art, the highest praise I can give it is that it got me to buy ten or so issues of American Virgin. I've never read any of her solo stuff, is that East Coast Rising manga book thing any good ?

I'd highly recommend The Pirates Of Coney Island if you haven't read it already - she provides alternate covers and the artist is clearly influenced by her style. Having said that, I think the last issue is running months late so probably better waiting for a trade. It's stop stuff though.

Ade, I know you took pictures at Orbital, don't be shy now....

East Coast Rising is pretty good, too bad the second volume got trapped in Tokyopop's cutbacks (though Cloonan has been hinting at another publisher picking it up, maybe). same goes for Brandon Graham's excellent King City. I hate it when comic book companies cancel a book but don't free the creator from their contract.

DMZ needs to do something to keep me buying it. I liked the Parco Delgado political election arc, but the Wilson's gold swap for a nuke with the Central Park guys (Soames) was like 5 issues of "hmmmm, don't know about that.."

I think they need to do what WALKING DEAD did and do a medium reboot of the title to stir up readers.

Off to the Oslo Comics Expo this week, flying out of New York on Wednesday with an early morning layover in Reykjavik before landing in Oslo. I had a choice, actually, between Reyk and Paris for layover, but I have quickly learned to fly Icelandair whenever possible. I need to sell a few more Northlanders before I can afford to travel “Saga Class”, though.

Might be writing a column for a news site about the whole experience - the festival, Oslo, and my Northlanders research - and I’ll keep you all posted on that.

bri

I loved this issue of DMZ. It has potential to be the darkest story arc of the entire series: renegade left behind NYPD cops form a support group (even with a few frames of them hugging), bonding over the loss of their loved ones in horribly tragic situations, described in gory details. They unite to essentially go wilding: to rain a reign of terror down upon everyone else in the DMZ, killing indiscriminately but with careful precision--performing gruesome and merciless acts of vengeance for what the war took from and did to them. They are a roving death gang of depraved violence, but organized and in sync with each other as well as any other paramilitary outfit in the war. Adhering strictly to the chain of command and their "orders." And ORDER is definitely their one word.

At the end of pt 1 (of 3), they come up against their arch rival, another roving street gang bent on violence and destruction: the street crazies, who are the chaotic antithesis of the cops' order. There is a method to the cops' madness. But the street crazies have only madness without any method. I think the next two parts will be awesome. I almost gave up on this book, too. I'm glad I didn't.

I have really begun to admire Ryan Kelly's art lately. He sort of snuck up on me, but I've read some of his books recently and quite like his style. It's like almost your typical straight forward art style, but with trippy peripherals--almost like each frame looks sort of normal with a first glance, but with further study, you can see the trippiness in his style. That's a horrible way to describe his art, but it doesn't bowl you over. Rather it subtly warps in a positive way over the course of each book he draws. His style is also atypical of what I've seen in most of Wood's collaborators, which is cool (though did Kelly draw a Northmen issue?).

(though did Kelly draw a Northmen issue?).

The whole second story arc, I think. And a little book called Local, of course...

Glad to see that DMZ is still trucking along, though I lost interest in it a few years back myself.

Really enjoyed the first Northlanders trade though, so looking forward to some more of that.

Wasn't there a DMZ thread at one time? I couldn't search for it because search limits you to terms over 4 letters.

Anyway...logo treatments for DMZ by the Wood, himself.

5387710549_7770c99054_o.gif

Northlanders? Before DMZ? Awww...

Northlanders and Scalped were the best thing going for Vertigo.

Maybe those people who were wondering if Vertigo was closing up weren't far off.

Fables can't go forever (I thought it should've ended by now truthfully), and that's Vertigo's best seller.

Scalped and DMZ both sell far worse than Northlanders, so what's their chance of sticking around?

Stick JC bak into the DCU, and what does Vertigo have left? Four titles?

And a shitload of crime OGN's, trying to tap into some of that Brubaker hype.

<<<EDIT>>>

Bleeding Cool correctly reports that my Vertigo series NORTHLANDERS has been cancelled by the powers that be at DC Comics. It has a very loyal fanbase but the trade sales just aren’t cutting the mustard. But it is staying around for awhile yet, and will finally conclude with issue #50. That means next week’s one-shot “Thor’s Daughter” (w/ Marian Churchland) and the nine-part “Icelandic Trilogy” (w/ Paul Azaceta) will still happen as planned. Please, retailers, do not cut your orders, and please, readers, don’t cancel your subs. No story is getting cut short, nothing will be left hanging. As always with NORTHLANDERS, you can jump in at the start of any story, including the ones listed above.

I’m not going to eulogize the series yet and start thanking everyone, since I have the next nine or ten months to do that. While this news sucks, I consider it a triumph for everyone responsible that our depressing, often cerebral comic book about Vikings and history is lasting FIFTY ISSUES. It feels appropriately epic, and the eventual seven volumes of the series will hopefully stay in print forever (or close to that).

I read a lot of twitter comments linking this to my saying the other day that my exclusive was up. I don’t think these two are connected. Also, while I’m here, I was not given a role in the recent DCU reboot after all but I think its an exciting idea and wish everyone the best.

Back to work! Announcements of new books should start appearing soonish… not sure when, but closer to NYCC at any rate. Thanks everyone, lots of really nice comments from you guys. Don’t stop reading!