JohnMcMahon

HELLBLAZER #222

And this sounds like sour grapes, but... if the writer is intentionally trying to set up a mystery, shouldn't there have been some acknowledgement in the text that the presence of those demons was puzzling? For example, shouldn't John have said "Hey, I thought you were dead," or something?

I'm just vaguely surprised, given how much fuss was made about the continuity "error" in the first place, that this hasn't warranted at least a few "oh, right-i-o then" responses.

Further agreement.

I'd agree with that.

Remember, Big Ugly wasn't surprised either.

Even if the hellish duo did return, and the FOTF could not prevent them doing so, John and FOTF have always had some insanely intimate conversations.

The FOTF would have mentioned something comedic about their return in that specific scene.

Perhaps he would have been embarrased infront of John, or if he was behind it all, would have rubbed it in.

There was no personal communication between John and the FOTF.

After Down the Ground's events, this silence is incorrect from both sides.

Unless ofcourse the Third Lord of Hell isn't actually the FOTF. :rolleyes:

Visually, the FOTF (or new third demon bloke) resembled the crucified FOTF from his Dangerous Habits stage.

He performed some mild (in comparison to this) shape changing in Jenkin's run (being black and once wearing John's trademark kit).

Carey thankfully had none of this.

It would be odd to have had this return to the previous formless form in context of Carey's progressive FOTF.

But then wouldn't Manco, who has drawn the revitalised FOTF, know this?

Or did he just draw exactly what Denise wrote?

I dont think that the intended double return has been layered at all into the previous six issues that i've read and written a chronological breakdown of either.

Ofcourse, there doesn't always have to be layering but it still works well as evidence of intent.

If Carey had not revitalised the FOTF, then the return of the other two Lords of Hell would make sense.

Now?

I really dont see the point.

It's a mistake (inlight of John's knife-fu and Vankin's previous mistakes too).

Fine.

But some claim otherwise, is personally not working for me.

Call me miserable, but if there are answers in the next five parter, it's because it's been rewritten to do so.

I've enjoyed a lot of her run, but I dont buy it being deliberate.

I dont mind it being fixed (it's a major mistake, and not on Straff's mom level), but this is a retcon of sorts.

John's brogue can be a hard thing to nail down - there's a couple of real clunkers in the latest issue, the one about the crushed fairies springs straight to mind.

What didn't you like about that line?

Call me miserable, but if there are answers in the next five parter, it's because it's been rewritten to do so.

I've enjoyed a lot of her run, but I dont buy it being deliberate.

Just for the record, I didn't mean to imply that in my last post. If Denise says a big reveal was always her intention, that's good enough for me; I just would've liked to have seen some setup for it.

The First is not a demon or angel...

... He's a stupid idea parading around like a pantomime villan.

No he's not....He's a bad RetCon...Give him the respect he deserves...

I really hope she's not reading these posts and thinking we're a load of tossers, I'm quite bummed that I'm not enjoying her Hellblazer run cause her books are the proverbial business and helped me get back into reading prose at a time when I'd fallen out of touch with the printed word.

Hmm...reviewing what I and others said earlier on, I don't think she'd have much cause to be miffed. I said that I'd have given the issue a "9 out of 10", except for the continuity error. That's not exactly being harsh...

And I agree that if it's true that it's not a continuity error, there should have been some HINT that something wasn't quite right. I'm not sure whether that is insane fanboy behaviour, but how are we to KNOW that such mistakes won't ever be made?

I really hope she's not reading these posts and thinking we're a load of tossers, I'm quite bummed that I'm not enjoying her Hellblazer run cause her books are the proverbial business and helped me get back into reading prose at a time when I'd fallen out of touch with the printed word.

I hope not too. She's clearly a good writer, and there're already a fair number of things about her run that work well. I think she just needs more time in the medium.

And I agree that if it's true that it's not a continuity error, there should have been some HINT that something wasn't quite right. I'm not sure whether that is insane fanboy behaviour, but how are we to KNOW that such mistakes won't ever be made?

Particularly when such mistakes HAVE been made fairly recently, under the care of the same editor.