JohnMcMahon

Ian Rankin's Hellblazer OGN - Dark Entries

JohnMcMahon    562

<a href="http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13" target="_blank">Lying In The Gutters</a>

Ian Rankin, crime novelist and author of such titles as "Knots And Crosses," adapted as the "Rebus" TV series for the BBC, announced at the Edinburgh Book festival that he is to write a comic book project for Vertigo.

Further investigation reveals it is a John Constantine project, with Constantine pitched as a pulp-fiction style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural clients.

I understand the introduction happened through current "Hellblazer" writer Denise Mina.

Mark    332

Hmmm. I'm sort of hoping that this is an OGN-type project, rather than another run on the monthly title - the pitch sounds a bit weird, otherwise.

JohnMcMahon    562

I don't believe they'll be slotting this into the monthly title, no.

The idea of various prose writers tackling John in whatever manner they see-fit, a kind of Hellblazer Elseworlds title, does sound like it could be fun.

Then they could get the chap who wrote that Castor book to have a go....

Oh, and John Shirley, someone really should try to get him to write a comic - reckon he could serve up something a little left of usual.

Mark    332

Appeals to me, certainly. But then, I'm a firm believer in the Ade Brown Plan to turn HB into an OGN/miniseries-based proposition, rather than an ongoing monthly title, so I would say that.

Mark    332
Well, it looks like I might be able to get my dad to read Hellblazer at last.

James Wilkinson...living the dream.

Kejoxen    0

See what I’m imagining is some kind of Green Eggs & Ham scenario with James chasing his dad around the country waving a copy of Dangerous Habits.

Kejoxen    0

I will not read it James my son,

I will not read it just for fun

I will not read Ennis, Azzarello, Jenkins or Delano

I will not read it oh no no

Oh but dad, It's by Rankin

Why didnt you say so James... GET IN!

Kejoxen    0

but an F- for your image posting skillls.

(what will really bake you mind is how I knew what you were trying to post even though I can't see it)

Lost_Johnny    2

You will be amazed and astounded by The Kejoxen and his magic of the right-click...

Good news this anyway (I hope), I've enjoyed all of Rankin's work which I've read and if this is an OGN then hopefully no worries about the monthly pacing etc. Might reach a slightly wider audience as well, in the process.

What with ITV bleating on about taking some risks and increasing the quality of their drama, maybe next year's line up might be Cracker, Rebus and Constantine? :tongue:

James    38

And Castor!

(what will really bake you mind is how I knew what you were trying to post even though I can't see it)

Copying an image URL isn't that mind-baking, is it?

No idea why that image didn't work. Neither did another five that I tried from various unrelated websites, but I thought it might just not be my PC displaying the images.

dogpoet    454
Further investigation reveals it is a John Constantine project, with Constantine pitched as a pulp-fiction style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural clients.

Like that godawful Lovecraft film?

Lost_Johnny    2
And Castor!

Copying an image URL isn't that mind-baking, is it?

No idea why that image didn't work. Neither did another five that I tried from various unrelated websites, but I thought it might just not be my PC displaying the images.

#http://www.jourdanton.k12.tx.us/elem/A%20.png

should have been

#http://www.jourdanton.k12.tx.us/elem/A%2b.png

you're probably still still to whacked out on mind altering substances like the rest of those young delinquents who invaded peaceful Staffordshire this weekend!

Castor - of course, but on second thoughts we don't really want ITV doing it do we? They'd probably pick Reg out of The Bill to play him!

But then, I'm a firm believer in the Ade Brown Plan to turn HB into an OGN/miniseries-based proposition, rather than an ongoing monthly title, so I would say that.

Adrian fucking Brown Plan???

I've been advocating this since he was in liquid form.

Mark    332

Yeah, but you know how much he likes to take credit for it. Humour the old man.

Fuck me the way he takes credit for everything I'm surprised he's not listed as "Architect of All Things Hellblazer" in each issue.

Nevertheless, despite our resident goth's perpetual griping, this sounds like a good idea.

A. Heathen    1,129

Everyone knows I suggested it and Tom just became it's number one advocate.

He's like John the Baptist to my Jesus.

James    38

How can DogPoet be a goth if he doesn't like Neil Gaiman? That's one of the basic goth traits.