JohnMcMahon

Ian Rankin's Hellblazer OGN - Dark Entries

Yes I would think that Rankin would choose to do something with Constantine because of something specific about the character. Otherwise why not just create his own character or do a comic version of his Rebus character.

2509rankb.jpg

Plus it's a handy gateway to doing more comic work, if you've been thinking about trying your hand at that but don't know where to start, or with whom.

Hmmmm.... not too sure on this one.

From "The Times" website (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2319460,00.html):

He told The Times that he had sent Vertigo a six-line plot outline that would give Constantine a new set of cases to solve. “The beauty of comic books is that you can do new things with the same character and the readers don’t seem to mind,” he said. “In my version he is going to be much more of a pulp fiction-style private eye who happens to deal with supernatural characters rather than ordinary cases like divorcing couples.

“I will do stories for five or six issues, but DC might do it as a complete graphic novel.”

He suggested that he might weave his love of horror films into the plot.

Ha! I just found that one myself. However, it also says:

Rankin will delay writing Hellblazer until November, when he hopes to have finished his final Inspector Rebus novel.

Denise's last issue is in December, so either they've already got a permanent fill-in writer and Rankin's tale will be an OGN/inventory story or they've got someone to do a short run while he gets into gear. Or Mina's doing more issues. Or something else entirely. I'm rubbish at this speculation thing, aren't I?

Sounding more and more like he's going to be the next writer on the monthly title after all.

Makes sense, I suppose - remember when Mina was first announced, with similarly misleading language? I think the press report said that she'd be "writing a series for Hellblazer Comics", or something...

As I said, though, if he's only going to expand it from a six-line pitch in November then either someone else will be taking over from Mina or she'll be doing even more issues. Which, believe it or not, I'd be quite happy to see.

Has anyone in Yankeeland heard of Rebus ?

People who read mystery novels. The "International Bestseller" tag on each of Rankin's book covers would suggest more people worldwide pick up his books than just the cultural elite of Britian.

Of course Inspector Rebus isn't as big a name as John Constantine in the comic world but if Rankin wanted to do a Rebus OGN I would imagine it would sell fairly well in Yankeeland and even Canukland. Which again leads me to believe that Rankin has something specific in mind for Constantine.

If Rankin is the next monthly writer then I would hope that the editor would work with Rankin to let him put his own stamp on Constantine but still keep him recognizably the same character.

If Rankin is the next monthly writer then I would hope that the editor would work with Rankin to let him put his own stamp on Constantine but still keep him recognizably the same character.

Perhaps they'll retcon him? (Constantine, not Rankin.)

I'd wager Rich's story is based entirely on that article.

The timing doesn't quite line-up with Denises' departure date which was confirmed at 13 issues at one of the recent cons.

Sounds like perfect OGN material to me, or a stand-alone mini, but I could just be digging my heels in for the sake of it!

I'd wager Rich's story is based entirely on that article.

The timing doesn't quite line-up with Denises' departure date which was confirmed at 13 issues at one of the recent cons.

Sounds like perfect OGN material to me, or a stand-alone mini, but I could just be digging my heels in for the sake of it!

There's no reason why it shouldn't be. Unless, of course, DC are using Rankin's run on Hellblazer to introduce the pre-Crisis Constantine Prime...

I don't want to see John retconned.

There's no reason they can't just move more in the Warren Ellis "Haunted" direction on the title. It could just be misleading language.

You know damn well if they retcon John he's going to end up being in his late-20s.

Strange was, for the most part, shit.

Poo. I wonder why Richard Coyle finds it so hard to get appropriate work? He was miscast in Cracker, an' all.

Those black'n'white publicity shots of Rankin make him look the spit of the chap playing Doctor Who at the mo.

They're a lot more edgy and glam than his early author shots. He used to look like a nerd in a flannel shirt. :biggrin:

Has anyone in Yankeeland heard of Rebus ?

Yeah, Rebus is huge. Ian Rankin gets more fame and respect as a writer than the merits of his books would seem to justify, in my opinion. Mind you, I do enjoy his Rebus books; it's just that they're not the great works of literature some would have us believe.

I think we can confidently predict that Rankin's name on Hellblazer would see sales rise.

Oh, so they're hiring an editor, too? (Badoom-tish.)

You know damn well if they retcon John he's going to end up being in his late-20s.

... and bi.

The editor of Hellblazer is one of my college writing professors in disguise.

He used to read the first two pages of everybodies' assignment. He would check and mark all over the first two pages, and then not a mark until the end of the paper where he'd write a generic comment, "This was an impressive story, but push yourself a bit further next time!"

And, his trade secret? He'd ruffle the corner of every page, so it would look like he had actually read the rest of the paper.

It didn't fool me or my friend! We knew what the guy was doing!

I'm guessing Vankin does the exact same thing....

"Great work, Denise! This is stupendous, but next time put even more into it, ok? Great!"

UK forumites who want a taste of Ian Rankin's work could do worse than keep an eye put for this upcoming BBC adaptation: The Acid Test. It's only based on a Rankin short story, but it could you give an idea of where he's coming from.

Alternatively you could just go and read one of his stories. :)

I'm thinking this will be a G.N. or mini-series or something other than the ongoing H.B. title.

Comic Shop News had a newsbit which stated that Ian Rankin was confirmed as signing with DC for a special project, which DC refused to comment on at this time.

Rankin could still be writing Hellblazer, but once again a term like "special project" comes up. I don't see why DC would call Rankin writing H.B. a "special project".

In an extensive interview with Mark Lawson, Ian Rankin mentioned his early fondness for the comics (Beano & Dandy, Victor, then Batman and Spider-Man). When asked about doing more Rebus books with the sidekick taking over, he said "(Maybe) but the next thing I do will be a graphic novel about John Constantine, Hellblazer. So I've gone back to the comics I was interested in." (I'm paraphrasing that last bit.)

From what I know of Rebus (TV not books) he's already well-versed in the flawed hero.

Fingers crossed.

The editor of Hellblazer is one of my college writing professors in disguise.

He used to read the first two pages of everybodies' assignment. He would check and mark all over the first two pages, and then not a mark until the end of the paper where he'd write a generic comment, "This was an impressive story, but push yourself a bit further next time!"

And, his trade secret? He'd ruffle the corner of every page, so it would look like he had actually read the rest of the paper.

It didn't fool me or my friend! We knew what the guy was doing!

I'm guessing Vankin does the exact same thing....

"Great work, Denise! This is stupendous, but next time put even more into it, ok? Great!"

Speaking of Vankin....(I got nothing)

Anyway, I'm just glad that Casey Seijas is taking over as editor for the next issue and beyond.

Yeah, that's great news.

As for "Great work, [insert name of contributor]! This is stupendous, but next time put even more into it, ok?" ... editors really do do that. I've worked with more than one who did (and some of my freelance clients use that tactic too). The problem is that there's no objective way of telling whether someone will make a good editor, so the job frequently goes to confident talentless dickheads.

Obviously I exclude my current and prospective editors.

this thread is foUr pages long, so you know i only bothered to read the title and the first post.So maybe a few of you allready said this but, as long as it is kind of a marvel "alternate reality" kind of shit, i wouldnt mind seeing john as a sindicated private eye who deals with the obscure.....GHOST BUSTER GO!!!!!

The BBC TV adaptation of Ian Rankin's The Acid Test is now known as Reichenbach Falls. Have a look at the press pack here.

Yeah, that's great news.

As for "Great work, [insert name of contributor]! This is stupendous, but next time put even more into it, ok?" ... editors really do do that. I've worked with more than one who did (and some of my freelance clients use that tactic too). The problem is that there's no objective way of telling whether someone will make a good editor, so the job frequently goes to confident talentless dickheads.

Obviously I exclude my current and prospective editors.

Dan Didio,much?

In your profile at Wikipedia it says, "Rankin has confirmed that after he writes his last Rebus novel in November 2006, he will start work on a five- or six- issue run on the comic book Hellblazer, although the story may be turned into a stand alone graphic novel instead." Is that correct? So this is the last Rebus book? Why?

The book I'm writing just now is provisionally the last Rebus novel... in that he lives in real time and has aged through the series from 40 to 60, and it so happens that in Scotland the cops are forced to retire when they hit sixty. This situation may change, so the door is slightly ajar, or I can write about him in retirement. Or he can be be brought back to do cold cases (as happens to some retired cops in real life), or I can go back in time or stop the clock... But I am working on this new book as if it is his last. And yes, after that I'm signed up to do a short run of Hellblazer comics, maybe as a standalone graphic novel. I started life wanting to write American comics, and at last I'm getting my wish! I also have a serial in the pipeline for the New York Times. It should start in May (in the Sunday magazine) and run for 15 weeks. It's set in Edinburgh but is not a Rebus story - though crime plays a big part in it!

What do you find appealing about writing for comic books?

I don't know the answer to that, as I've never tried writing properly for comics, but I've always enjoyed reading them. My stories tend to be quite visual, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of using very few words, with lots of pictures. In the novel, you can use as many words as you like. This is not the case in comics.

Elsewhere:

So what did he do when he finally brought down the curtain on Rebus' police career? Dine on steak and fine red wine as he did when he finished the first one?

"Bugger all! I didn't even tell anyone I'd finished it. I might celebrate with a late lunch today, but no wine.

"I'm actually taking a week and a half out. Then I'm doing a comic book featuring John Constantine's Hellblazer. They e-mailed me and said, 'We hear you like comic books. Would you fancy writing for one of our characters like Batman or Superman?' That's what I wanted to do when I was eight years old. So I pitched an idea and we're doing it as a graphic novel.