JohnMcMahon

Ian Rankin's Hellblazer OGN - Dark Entries

Seriously though, it seems to me that the competence of Vertigo editorial will be best reflected by the published product

...and I thought I was being harsh on them!

Re the new thread title: Vertigo editorial may or may not be a joke, but I don't see the announcement as being symptomatic of said joke.

What the frog said.

This whole time I've been working under the assumption that Rankin would be doing an OGN a la Carey's AHE, so I'm not sure what all the fuss has been about.

More importantly, have you all been reading these interviews? Rankin seems to have (imo) pedestrian/questionable taste. (Saw LoEG in the theaters 3 times?!? Loved the film adaptations of V for Vendetta and From Hell?!? Constantine in a reality game-show setting? Plus he just doesn't seem to "get" the character the way I'd hope a writer would-- he's focusing too much on the mainstream "cool" aspects of John and his universe. This just feels like it's going to be a trainwreck....)

I for one, am not eagerly awaiting Dark Entries.

The solicits are hilariously incompetent, but I am genuinely interested to see if Rankin can deliver a good comic. The idea for the story isn't half bad either.

Re the new thread title: Vertigo editorial may or may not be a joke, but I don't see the announcement as being symptomatic of said joke.

What the frog said.

This whole time I've been working under the assumption that Rankin would be doing an OGN a la Carey's AHE, so I'm not sure what all the fuss has been about.

More importantly, have you all been reading these interviews? Rankin seems to have (imo) pedestrian/questionable taste. (Saw LoEG in the theaters 3 times?!? Loved the film adaptations of V for Vendetta and From Hell?!? Constantine in a reality game-show setting? Plus he just doesn't seem to "get" the character the way I'd hope a writer would-- he's focusing too much on the mainstream "cool" aspects of John and his universe. This just feels like it's going to be a trainwreck....)

I for one, am not eagerly awaiting Dark Entries.

Maybe he saw LoEG 3x because he was high at the time and needed a good laugh. Otherwise if he was sober and "in the right mind" I'd say he pretty much sucks at life. It's OK for him to like V tho, because he probably thought it was a generic action flick or may have never read the book. Tho if he read the book.. Yeah, he blows donkeys.

I can't really see John being in a Reality game show being good at all. What is it going to be. The First of the Fallen comes back and puts John in a crappy game show. This happened in an old episode of The Real Ghostbusters. Only it was done better and fitted with their theme.

What is it going to be. The First of the Fallen comes back and puts John in a crappy game show.

It’s sort of like of those reality game shows where people are locked up together, but there’s a haunting going on, and people are starting to disappear, which is great for the ratings. But Constantine is brought in to see if he can solve the mystery.

There's a new interview at Comic Book Resources:

“John Constantine is a blank canvas - he is unknowable, the original Mr Enigma,” Rankin remarked. “This gives writers a certain freedom. We can re-imagine him, find new corners of his psyche to explore, and discover a little more about him.

“In 'Dark Entries,' I see him as being a gumshoe - a sort of Private Eye for hire.”

Three pages of preview art, too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21539

The "Vertigo Crime" books are going to be black+white, including this one.

I remain sceptical, but willing to be persuaded.

I wouldn't piss on the Vertigo crime books if they were on fire: it's all stuff that'd be a fiver less if an indie published it, looking at the solicits. Fuck that.

Top Shelf certainly price their hardcovers at about the same price per page.

Fantagraphics varies, but mostly a bit more.

The "Vertigo Crime" books are going to be black+white, including this one.

Oh.

Well, not to sound too much the [over-used word], but that art looks more than a little amateurish.

Top Shelf certainly price their hardcovers at about the same price per page.

Fantagraphics varies, but mostly a bit more.

I was thinking more of Oni, Tokyopop and who have you, to be honest.

Oni's hardcovers are way more expensive!

Half this size for same price, stuff like Local worked out cheaper but these are also reprints of series rather than an original graphic novel.

I wouldn't know about Tokypop, aren't there books mostly digest sized?

There are plenty of things to make fun of here, but Vertigo's pricing is not an issue (at least compared with other comics publishers).

There's a new interview at Comic Book Resources:

“John Constantine is a blank canvas - he is unknowable, the original Mr Enigma,” Rankin remarked. “This gives writers a certain freedom. We can re-imagine him, find new corners of his psyche to explore, and discover a little more about him.

“In 'Dark Entries,' I see him as being a gumshoe - a sort of Private Eye for hire.”

Three pages of preview art, too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21539

Despite my disagreement with what Rankin stated, I definetly give this story a shot.