A. Heathen

Constanteen

We do not want another Constanteen film  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you agree with the above correct statement?

• I completely agree, 101% and will kill anyone who says otherwise
    • I completely agree.
    • I agree enough to gag if anyone announces a sequel.
    • I agree.
    • I am some sort of IDIOT, who thinks there is a 5th option.

We're just saying, is all.

And for your information there are nearly ten pages of posts here in the comics 2 movies sub-forum about that film, so read them before you start dismissing all the negativity as "we don't want an american" etc etc

If it means another All His Engines-esque OGN?

Oh I would kick the cat if they announced the sequel, but really how much more damage could they really do?

(No God I am not tempting or challenging you)

I have a confession for you. I am the spirit of Constanteen, sent to annoy you all just as much as the film, but on a long-term basis. *Nipple tweak*

Sequel-No

Totally different attempt at making a movie out of Hellblazer starring a British guy who looks like John and preferably something liek the stories we all know and love-Possibly.

Guest spiderlegs

I would like it done with an experienced director who has an affection for the character and the original source material, who wants to be as faithful to the comic as is directorially possible, and who believes that producing a HELLBLAZER film which is true to its original fans will still have an appeal to the movie-going masses.

Unfortunately, it would only confuse those who have seen the previous badly made film. They would have to remove "John Constantine" from the title and just call it HELLBLAZER which would confuse HELLRAISER fans, too. But they're knuckleheads anyway... :tongue:

It's time to let it go, Ade. Akiva Goldsman can't hurt you any more.

If it means another All His Engines-esque OGN?

In that case, yes. Especially if Tim Bradstreet illustrates it.

I would like it done with an experienced director who has an affection for the character and the original source material, who wants to be as faithful to the comic as is directorially possible, and who believes that producing a HELLBLAZER film which is true to its original fans will still have an appeal to the movie-going masses.

In this case, it wouldnt be a sequel to Constanteen any more than Batman Begins was a sequel to Batman and Robin.

You know, it's odd. Pne of my other hobbies, WWI flight, is getting a movie. You may have heard of Flyboys. What a completely different approach these film makers have taken towards the source material. The director (or maybe a flunky--but still, someone associated with the production) has shown up on a fairly small message board, and is interacting--POLITELY with the people there. There's a document you can download from the website that explains where they have deviated from reality (they do know that not all Germans flew red Fokker triplanes, but having them do so made it easier for the audience to tell who was who in the dogfight scenes). In short, they production team has gone slightly out of their way to reassure the small number of grognards out there that yes, they know the film has deviated from reality, and here's why that was done. It's like, I dunno, they actually care about the source material.

I mean, I was going to see Flyboys anyway--there's no way I'm going to miss the first WWI flight film in forty years. Now I feel like I can relax when I see it, because I get the impression that the film is in competent hands. Quite the change from the way the producers of Constantine approached their fanbase.

In this case, it wouldnt be a sequel to Constanteen any more than Batman Begins was a sequel to Batman and Robin.

If the movie had been completely independent of the Comic - if it had just been its own thing about an Occult LA "private eye" caught in a gang war between the angels and the underworld - and had nothing to do with HELLBLAZER in any way - it probably would've had a better story and even more Hellblazer fans would've liked it. Really, all they had to do was change Reeves' character's name and it would have had absolutely no connection to the comic book.

I saw the movie again the other night. My girlfriend is Thai and she enjoys looking at Keanu Reeves. It's not a very good movie, of course, and last night I was seeing even worse things about it, but it was interesting seeing her completely non-Christian viewpoint as she watched it. Apparently, if you don't believe anything in the movie really matters, that it is entirely fantasy, then it's much more enjoyable.

On the other hand, my favorite stories in HELLBLAZER have been the ones where you sorta thought they could be true.

I also dont hold it on as high regards as i did at first two viewings, but there are some certain aspects of the film which have been still striking the chord for me perfectly, at least from a standalone, respectively the films own backgroundical viewpoint.

Though im trying not to watch it often again, i fear i might change my mind.

Its a bit empty/inane, thats because.

I also dont hold it on as high regards as i did at first two viewings, but there are some certain aspects of the film which have been still striking the chord for me perfectly, at least from a standalone, respectively the films own backgroundical viewpoint.

Though im trying not to watch it often again, i fear i might change my mind.

Its a bit empty/inane, thats because.

I really like the vision of Hell.

I really don't like how all the angel half-breeds just stood around while the demons blatantly broke the treaty. Or that Lucifer had no idea what was going on either. It seems to contradict the omnipresent "cold war" aspect of the story. If young Constantine could see demons then he could obviously appeal to the aid of angels as well.

Really, that part is what really makes the character absolutely NOT the John Constantine of the books. It's a much better view of the character that there are only demons in his life because he's chosen to traffic with them and now he's damned for it (the whole suicide/mortal sin angle is too forced).

That said, had they committed to a lot of the implications of the story's background (the absentee God and the rules of the afterlife) and left any hint of the comic book out of the story, it could have been an averagely good Exorcist rip-off.

Oddly, around the same time I first saw Constantine, I also saw FRAILTY and THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. Both dealt with the same themes brought up in the blockbuster but with much more depth, imagination and at less than a tenth of the cost.

Yeah, i like the vison of hell too.

Most of its looks side stuns me even today.

Then i liked those little tidbits of various religious stuff, and some story-elements.

Plus some cool characters like The first of the Fallen (Here (compared to the the comics world) errouenously called Lou (Lucifer)), Gabriel, Balthy and Midnite.

I also liked Reeves as an americanized Constantine, being more of a cross between a detective and exorcist- They didnt really deal with Johns huge chunk of magic and occult life sadly, but what was in there was mostly ok.

Id like to mention the ace music and sound effects.

What i didnt fancy is that they made the middle and most of all the end veeery long for no reason at all- Too shallow, too few locations.

Then there were some lines or random stuff which were ridicolous or intimidating.

Though i also have to say that some dialogue was quite well-written, aka interesting, true or funny.

The characters of Beeman and ChaZ were not just wasted but shyte, Henessy and Angela were alright tough.

Loved Manuel being only a puppet with a prop, everything involved with him was a cool side-event.

And i found some things to be hellblazery.

I wish for a sequel to flatten out the errors and make it better, for the first feature's and the comic's reputation as well.

One thing i really dont dig were the radical Weisz fans who also were rabid haters of Reeves, cuz thats one of the few roles he really fit for in me tastes- The german dub may have helped in not seeing him as too bad an actor. Still, he nailed the script-portrayed knowledgable, sarcastic and bitter detective/exorcist for me, maybe because he was more of an answerer than stupid brat like in the Matrix sequels.

Also loved the lack of romance, heroism and meaning behind it all, or the obligatory good vs. evil end-battle.

Youre right, there should have been more side-characters of devilish or angel heritage, creating a bit of war atmosphere, but we shouldnt forget that Gabriel was one of the traitors- And i liked this underground-feeling a bit, that no one knew or was involved, the whole takeover not happening as a Bang! but silently, in a closed, small agreement.

That Satan did not know limits his knowledge powerfully, on the flispide of the coin stands his deligthfully wicked sick businessman character which i found very amusing and logical.

I liked that they didnt show God and the priests as borderlessly good beings, but they should have made John less dependable on chatolic aids- While i think that its also logical that John wants to go to Hell- Hes afraid of death though he doesnt admit, and because most of the time he puts demons to hell (The line with the prison was top-notch) i wouldnt want to be there too- I mean he just did what he would do anyway to get a ticket to Heaven, he didnt lick Gods arse literally, didnt like him or religion anyway.

I also liked the twin story, but they could have made more out of that too, like of all the subtext whis is more spread trough the films not widely known background as it is on the surface- Though thats what a crime story is about, to set pieces together trough logic- At beginning i fancied this "Goes without saying" attitude- Its more realistic than spoonfeeding every detail- While it could be also interpreted as shabby scripting.

Finally, hell and the whole idea, look etc. was just superb (Being a parallel dimension to the "real world", filled with demons, Isabels punishment, the cars representing the car-crash victims, the "Immediatly after an atomic explosion"-look, how getting there etc), thats one thing (plus the aforementioned look-side (CGI, set decoration, photography, colors, clothings, props etc), which i really adored in this film- Plus its atmosphere trough the music, visuals, tone and overall noiry feel.

It's considerably better than many movies in the genre (see COVENANT... actually DON'T see it, for the love of God!) and with the uproar over Christianity in this country, any big mainstream movie is going to be more than a little watered down when it comes to the religious stuff. For me, the part I hate the most is that Constantine saves the world, but I can see why they went for it.

Essentially, it was a pastiche or mishmash of the Exorcist and Omen movies and Los Angeles "sin city" film noir. If they are already going in that direction, then really they should have been a lot more scathingly satirical rather than going for the unecessarily uplifting ending. God, as a sort of character in the movie, simply gets off too easily in the story.

I mean, the movie starts with an Exorcism and during John's explanation to Angela about God and the Devil's blance/wager I'm wondering how possession is in any way keeping with the pledge not to directly interfere with humans and why John and not Angels are confronting the demons who do it.

Youre absolutely right, they should have been harder on God, and the Angels should have played the roles of not only messengers but soldiers too, which is like this in the legends since the new testemony.

I think they just wanted to back up the existence of a character like John- If Angels would do this work, there would be no need for him or likenesses.

That could also be viewed as God being careless about anything except contracts, getting souls, but then why doesnt he do anything about Satan or his son taking over control, when then they would fetch more than him?

The explanation would be him not caring about anything-

What would be controversial, but a bit too lazy nonetheless.

I didnt found the happy ending to be misplaced, because there just cant be a film which ends as Evil ruling the world- Not even in Hellblazer, no? Thats just against everything what people dream of- Its another thing if its about reality, where shit really runs trough the streets and sometimes people want to know (While others cover their eyes), but when it comes to fantasy, people want to see a good vs. evil battle, were good prevails in the end, to keep their spirits up, even if they symphatize with Evil a tad- Of course there can be limitations that good is not so super as it may seem (Like in Nochnoy Dozor, really recommended to see after reading the book), but not that the murderer triumphs above his victims, that wouldnt lead to pleasant thoughts or feelings.

And though its happy for the world, it had some bitter tastes coming along with it, which i found intriguing- John has now to struggle not to fall out of Gods graces again (While i bet he would), we saw that God himself didnt care about people only about him and his rules, while even Satan has some sense for fairness, an Angel and a demon have fallen along with the most Evils son, three friends of an exorcist did die, of which one became an angel, and a police officer has lost her sister and will be never the same again- The one person who had been along with her just let her go- Its an end where the lead hero would have to smile but shrugs instead- Cause life carries on- Yeah!

Of the films which i saw in this genre this was ca. my fav-

Angel Heart is also up there, then there are the mediocrities of End of Days, Gods Army, Stigmata etc.

Dont see whats so great bout the Exorcist or Omen, but im really interested in the case of Emily Rose, due to the fact its a real story of a german girl, albeit it was changed.

The thing is that i really like this genre so i also like to see films which dont bring it to a decent level.

Hows an American haunting or DaVinci code?

Any other films you would recommend in this genre (I want to see Rosemarys baby)?

I'm the only one who found the vision of Hell in the movie utterly boring then?

They should have taken some visual cues from Sandman/Hellblazer issues themselves. There's a lot more inventive imagery in the comics. For example, I love the little office that Morpheus and Lucifer walk through when the latter is locking Hell up before leaving. Shit, even Doom had a more interesting vision of hell. There were a lot of fascinating visual concepts in that game and its first sequel, I thought.

But in Constantine, the demons were generic CGI beasties and Hell was a generic blasted wasteland. I found little that engaged my imagination in there.

Not how it looked, but what it was: A parallel world of ours in blasted, firy mode. Its more visible on DVD, i saw things then i didnt realise first, and i liked what i saw.

Its not as extended as the Hellblazer version was, with the demon brokers and everything, but a good pointing into the right direction- It could be outlined in a sequel.

I mean Dooms vision of Hell was mostly also brutal cliche, even if i feared that game as a six year old.

Not that the films is not, but as said, its not the look of it, more the system behind it.

Dont know about Sandman hell, there is something i recall but it might be Preacher, but mostly all hells are built of bloody tissue with bones, or fire and stuff, and i dont have anything against such classical views- Nothing sticks out, but nothing falls below a decent level.

Satan should be a mysterious, powerful creature, like always, why should hell utterly change then?

Though everyone having a personal hell would be interesting to see.

I'd say HELLBOY is most directly in this genre. CONSTANTINE really can't claim to be a movie like ANGEL HEART, THE OMEN or EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE. Or even THE SEVENTH SEAL or THE RAPTURE. It's not really a horror movie about the apocalypse or demonic possession. It's a fantasy action movie that uses (and abuses) those themes. Clive Barker's LORD OF ILLUSION as well as the b-movies WARLOCK and THE PROPHECY series are in the same vein, I'd say.

PROPHECY even has a rebellious Gabriel (Chris Walken) seeking to bring about an early apocalypse.

Heck, CONSTANTINE was really trying to be something of a stylish HARRY POTTER for adults (semi-adults).

Yeah, its akin to the prophecy, only better in production, and a bit more easier.

Hellboy is somehow in that league, its just that Hellboy has some ascepts which really push the envelope- I mean how cool is Red and Krönen? Whats similar that tough its somehow better developed, there are places were its really timid.