JohnMcMahon

August 2006 - Best'n'Worst

Still a week left in the month but I don't think anything particularly good is due out next week (well someone will probably get fucked by a dog in The Boys #2, if that's your kind of ting) so might as well throw this one up now as I forgot to last month.

Anyway, what've been the best and worst comics you've read (that've been published during) this month ? Spoilers in spoiler tags, please.

Best : The Walking Dead. Got off on the wrong foot with the drop in paper'n'cover stock and a naff piece of foreshadowing soured me on the story but the last few pages forced me into a 180!

Worst : : Close one this, I think the debut of The Boys just about shades it with the dulltastic arse-fuck bit. Hellblazer ran it close though.

Guest spiderlegs

Boy, John, you went south on the Boys in a hurry...

The Boys #1 : Average
;)

Average to worst. DiZAYumn!

August has been a slow month.

Most of the comics I read are mid-story.

No G.N.s I wanted to read seem to have been released this month.

I'd have to go with Batman or Detective Comics as my favourite book of the month.

Least favourite? Nothing too bad this month. Might have to say Ed Brubaker's Uncanny X-Men, which is going nowhere.

Maybe issue #1 of Deadman. It wasn't bad, but it's far too involved a story for Bruce Jones. Jones is a completely capable writer, but he just can't write high concept stories.

Really, I'm enjoying all the comics I'm buying. I don't know if I'll buy the next issue of Deadman.

There's certainly a big hole left by the ending of Lucifer.

Best: Hmm...tough call, but I'm probably going to go with Detective Comics #822, just because it's shaping up to be exactly what I want from a Batman comic. A decent done-in-one whodunnit, a reinvention of a classic-but-under-utilised Bat-villain which (a) maintains continuity with the way the character has been written in the past, and (b) actually works really well (a rarer occurence than it should be, given how often Bat-villains are revamped). There was a perfect balance between darkness and humanity, Bruce Wayne continues to be fleshed out just as well as Batman (something many writers have attempted, but too many have failed to achieve), and the scene with Batman and the Riddler in the Batmobile was comedy gold.

I've got a feeling that next week's All-Star Superman #5 will beat it, though.

Worst: Hellblazer #223. In fairness, there have doubtless been a few comics published this month which were technically even worse, but none which disappointed me quite so thoroughly.

Oh hell, I didn't even rememeber Hellblazer.....

That's bad.

Or maybe I'm just used to finding it to always be at least average and not bad.....

I'm sure there were crappy books on the stands that would make Hellblazer #223 look like Gore Vidal, but I stay away from those books.

Yeah, Hellblazer #223 was bad (not awful, but bad), while Uncanny X-Men was just dull and Deadman was underwhelming.

I change my answer to Hellblazer #223.

Worst: Hellblazer 223.

Best: Mouse Guard #4, Sloth HC, Voorbij De Steen #4 (only published in dutch, I'm afraid).

Worst: Hellblazer 223.

Best: Mouse Guard #4, Sloth HC, Voorbij De Steen #4 (only published in dutch, I'm afraid).

Wasn't Sloth from July?

OK, what is this Mouse Guard comic? Everyone is raving about and I've never heard of it. What's the plot?

it's basically a very simple fantasy comic with fantastic art about a bunch of mice with swords who have to find a traitor in their midst. while fighting with crabs and snakes. it's awesome.

4.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

Yeah, he's "the badass." His first reaction is always to fight and he's pretty damn good at it.

The art is soooo fucking good on this title.

Best: Dunno. I really, really enjoyed the last Astonishing X-Men, which is something I haven't said about any X-Men title in a while. Buuuuut, Mouse Gaurd, Walking Dead, Invincible, and even Batman have all been solid.

I'll go with Mouse Gaurd.

Worst: Hellblazer. Huge diappointment for me, and not just the one-off issue.

it's basically a very simple fantasy comic with fantastic art about a bunch of mice with swords who have to find a traitor in their midst. while fighting with crabs and snakes. it's awesome.

4.jpg

8.jpg

5.jpg

Oh neat! Thanks Sethos!

I actually saw this in the store, and thought it looked really cute, but hadn't heard anything about it, and figured it was a kiddy book.

(Nothing wrong with kiddy books, by the way. I just wasn't in the mood.)

I didn't even remember the title after I left the store.

If it's still there next week, I'll pick up a copy.

Wont be able to till you till next week sense I can't get my stuff till Thursday and have all of the week after off.

Guest spiderlegs

Mouse Guard DOES look badass. Saw it for the first time today.

I'll concur that this month's HELLBLAZER was lackluster at best. Shaolin Cowboy[/url] gets my nod for "the best" for its art alone. The story is entertaining but very minimalist, relying on the strength of its art to convey action sequences which take several frames to display. The entire issue may have taken up less than an hour in time (actually, the last two issues could probably fit into an hour).

06_shaolin_page01_preview.jpg

Yeah, he's "the badass."

Shows in his eyes, the fact that he's obviously the shortest of the trio is also something of a give-away - damn short-arse complex!

Shaolin Cowboy looks spectacular but, given the chronic shipping schedule, I'm holding out for a trade though the publishers have made some worrying noises in that regard.

That Mouse Guard book looks like an awesome-er version of Redwall, which would be fun. When does the trade come out?

A word of warning about Shaolin Cowboy:

The writing SUCKS. And by "sucks" I mean "FUCKING AWFUL."

Geoff Darrow is a fantastic artist, one of my favorites (I'm a sucker for hyper-detail), but he's a shit storyteller. The humor fails terribly, and this is supposed to be a violent yet funny comic. 1 out of 2 wouldn't be bad except everything else about the writing is crap as well. The plotting, pacing, lack of themes, even the overall story are God-awful.

Puchase at your own peril.

Re: the Mouse Gaurd trade.

I don't think one has been announced, and if there will be one it's quite a ways off.

There are a couple of websites you can check out for info, scans, previews, and news:

The Official Site.

The Publisher.

The Creator.

All Star Superman #5 sneaks in as the best of August for me.

I'd like to say hellblazer #223 is the worst but I can't because I couldn't even be bothered to finish it. I'm sure there's worse comics out there.

Well, best for me would either be All Star Superman #5 or X-Factor 10 just for the ending :)

Worst: hmm, I really don't know. I didn't pick up any this month that I thought were bad. I suppose I would have said HB or the Boys along with everyone else, but everyone's criticism saved me about a good bit of $6 :happy:

The boys didnt seem that good.

[ Spoiler :

All I got from was Garth Ennis showing us some over sexed lady who enjoys angry sex and other such events. it also didnt seem that good. ]

Best - ASS #5....heheh ass.....

Worst - i try not to buy books that suck. but i guess if it came down to the worst of what i did buy...it would have to be A Man Called Kev #3, although that mightve been released in sept.....i dunno time doesnt make as much sense to me as it once did.