Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Comics news 2006-7

No. I have no idea what Jason is talking about.

When will All-Star Northstar be coming out?

He already did.

(ba-dum-tish)

Tony B.--- you should be able to find copies of all the issues of MG, as the title has had an insane number of reprints.

When will All-Star Northstar be coming out?

He already did.

(ba-dum-tish)

Jeez, I wish I'd thought of that joke. :rolleyes:

:)

DC's Solicitations for December are up now at Newsarama.

First thing I noticed - issues #60 and 61 of Batman aren't written by Grant Morrison, but instead constitute the first two parts of a John Ostrander story which sounds like utter cock. Bugger. Hopefully it'll only be a 4-issue break in the Morrison run - perhaps the heavy workload is getting to him?

Also, covers by "Gregory Lauren", and if the sample image is actually a cover from one of the issues, then he's changed his style considerably. I suspect it's just a place-holder image, though.

Probably end up being an unofficial Newsarama thread this but Joe Quesada announced a load of Marvel News over there....

* Marvel will be publishing comics about Guiding Light, some US soap.

quote]

For real ? I'd pick up a GeneraL Hospital ongoing but Guiding Light sucks and has always sucked .

Genital Hospital is good stuff. 8-) Diana and her sister are into it. I particularly like the Sonny Corinthos (sp?) character.

What does it say about a show when the most upstanding guy on it is a mafia dude? :biggrin:

Also, covers by "Gregory Lauren", and if the sample image is actually a cover from one of the issues, then he's changed his style considerably. I suspect it's just a place-holder image, though.

It's a wraparound cover; here's a low-res scan of it:

post-2-1158750135_thumb.jpg

What kind of a world is it when a total crap book like Wolverine: Origins can be #3 and a book like Ex Machina is #106?

Oh boy, look at Swamp Thing go!

Looks like Tom Mandrake art to me.

James, that was brilliant, good sir.

for those interested january 3rd,2007 is the release date for volume 5 of grant morrisons doom patrol run.it's called"magic bus"and it collects issues 51-57 and will have a new cover by brian bolland.

only strange thing is that dccomics.com lists the tpb price as 208$.

Well, DC have finally smartened up and started to charge books according to their worth.

I'll be buying a hell of a lot more DC books now, as most of them will be priced at a dime.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to afford many books on weeks when books like All-Star Superman, now priced at $50 a copy, will be released....

You win some, you lose some.

Ed Brubaker's site has a preview of his new series with Sean Phillips, Criminal. Looks promising. It might fill the hole left by Gotham Central.

Well, it's news to me.

Have to question the Creeper comparison - one was a Vertigo book and the other was mainstream DCU. Not really very fair, that.

And Testament's doing a lot worse than I expected:

154 - TESTAMENT (Vertigo)

12/2005: Testament #1 — 16,893 — [18,166]

01/2006: Testament #2 — 13,518 (-20.0%)

02/2006: Testament #3 — 12,831 (- 5.1%)

03/2006: Testament #4 — 13,074 (+ 1.9%)

04/2006: Testament #5 — 12,770 (- 2.3%)

05/2006: Testament #6 — 12,361 (- 3.2%)

06/2006: Testament #7 — 11,770 (- 4.8%)

07/2006: Testament #8 — 11,073 (- 5.9%)

08/2006: Testament #9 — 10,462 (- 5.5%)

—————-

6 months: -18.5%

Declining.

They haven't thrown out a cancellation order yet, have they? And they have a second TPB on the horizon, too. I wonder whether the first trade did really well, then, or the last few months caught them completely off-guard.

Exterminators is doing about the same. Damn.

"49. DAREDEVIL

08/01 #22 - 52,810

08/02 #36 - 50,210

08/03 #50 - 65,398

08/04 #63 - 52,090

======

08/05 #76 - 46,424 ( -2.9%)

09/05 #77 - 45,945 ( -1.0%)

10/05 #78 - 45,071 ( -1.9%)

11/05 #79 - 44,250 ( -1.8%)

12/05 #80 - 43,309 ( -2.1%)

01/06 #81 - 44,252 ( +2.2%)

02/06 #82 - 53,058 (+19.9%)

03/06 #83 - 46,804 (-11.8%)

04/06 #84 - 47,123 ( +0.7%)

05/06 #85 - 47,899 ( +1.6%)

06/06 #86 - 48,280 ( +0.8%)

07/06 #87 - 51,989 ( +7.7%)

08/06 #88 - 50,554 ( -2.8%)

6 mnth ( -4.7%)

1 year ( +8.9%)

2 year ( -2.9%)

3 year (-22.7%)

Issue #87 picks up 2,553 in reorders, which is the only reason this issue is shown as dropping. In fact, in terms of first month sales, it’s a climber. Ed Brubaker’s slow and steady progress on this title continues, building a regular audience without stunts.

By Paul O’Brien"

Without stunts ?!

Are you fucking kidding me?

It may not be a direct Civil War crossover, but it's got enough stunts thank you very much.

A variant cover, "killing" Foggy Nelson and guest starring the Punisher.

It may not be a direct Civil War crossover, but it's got enough stunts thank you very much.

A variant cover, "killing" Foggy Nelson and guest starring the Punisher.

Aside from the variant cover, those aren't "stunts" in the usual, high-profile sales-boosting sense (even the Punisher appearance was just treated as an in-story occurence, not advertised on the cover as you might have expected). They're all just things Brubaker is doing within the story of a self-contained, ongoing monthly title. The mere fact that the title has nothing to do with Civil War is worthy of note - the fact that it's gaining sales even aside from that is, as O'Brien points out, quite impressive. You can nitpick his phrasing if you like, but the point he's making is that the only plausible reason for the steady sales increase of the book is simply because the people reading it like it, and word is spreading that it's an enjoyable series. In the current DC/Marvel climate (where almost every book out there is making bids for new readers courtesy of tie-ins to Infinite Crisis/One Year Later/Civil War etc), that's quite unusual.

I already mentioned the Civil War angle.

I may be wrong, but I believe that Marvel solicited Frank's appearances in those issues.

It might have been through alternate marketing means, but the death of Foggy (Killing him in the first issue and with his grave depicted clearly on the next cover) and the mystery concerning Daredevil's double (Yes I can see why he did it) were gimmicky enough to be stunts for me.

But you're right about the nitpicking.

DD's double was just a plot point. That could hardly be called a stunt.

Killing Foggy and guest-starring Punisher could be considered a stunt to attract readers, but a very low-level stunt to be sure.

I didn't even realize there was an alternate cover.

Guest spiderlegs

Dude! HELLBLAZER's MAx was 16,000 and some change? Wow...

WILDSTORM looks like it's in its death throes. How do they justify staying in business, other than its big daddy DC's deep pockets?