Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Comics news 2006-7

Jim Lee.

Wildstorm is his baby, DC want him so they keep them.

The main WSU line has just relaunched with a bucket-load of variant covers and a host of high-profile creators.

Guest spiderlegs

Well yeah, I know that. It just seems like they're trying to resuscitate a long dead corpse. Exhuming a body that died a year ago in order to give it a blood transfusion, that make sense?

Agreed, but also under "nearly a decade too late", at least for those of us who gave up on The Simpsons long ago.

No more odd than Gore Vidal appearing on Family Guy....

I think this is WildStorms's last gasp. If the new relaunches of their titles fail, I think we can safely say that W.S. is dead.

and it'll be a damn shame too,but realistically if relaunching your line with the following people:lee,azzarello,morrison,portacio,ha,simone,ennis,sprouse,carey etc. cannot manage to connect with a huge audience even under dc's distribution power.one has to wonder if they deserve it.

i am so down for this relaunch(i'm prepared to follow three titles if they continue to be published)but i wonder how many people are like minded.

I think the problem is a lot of these titles have passed their sell-by-date.

How many times has Authority been relaunched as an "ALL NEW" concept?

People just get sick of it. They stop giving the book a chance. "Hey, if the last 8 relaunches haven't held my interest, why will this one?"

And now there seems to be an attempt to live in the past. "Let's rediscover the glory days of these books from the early-90s."

Well, it isn't the early-90s anymore! Image's original style has been totally passed by in the industry. It's dated.

WildStorm did make the right decision by picking some of the best creative minds in the comic industry to write these books.

So, we'll just see what happens.

And now there seems to be an attempt to live in the past. "Let's rediscover the glory days of these books from the early-90s."

Well, it isn't the early-90s anymore! Image's original style has been totally passed by in the industry. It's dated.

And remind me again why you still read X-men comics?

This entire industry is built on living in the past.

MADMAN RETURNS!! :D

Allred's Madman returns in April and will be published by Image.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8950

It's kicked off by a huge volume of Madman material.

First up in the MADMAN revival is MADMAN GARGANTUA! a mammoth 852- page, full color hardcover collecting every MADMAN tale from Madman, Madman Adventures, and Madman Comics in a single, oversized, handsomely produced volume

Here's more with an interview with Mike Allred on Newsarama.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=91798

I have been waiting years for this to happen.

Lovely Chris Weston's lovely Blog has some lovely news.

Yeah? So what is it? :huh:

Browsing the less puzzling pages of Weston's blog, I discovered he didn't like Batman Begins either — so that makes two of us.

Yummy!

Oh for a monthly ongoing WW2 comic of some kind.

In other news, the collected Hellshock is due to hit in December. I've dim memories of swapping e-mails with Jae Lee back when the original issues were coming out, he was clearly struggling with the impact the story was having on him so it's nice to see that he finally got it out of his system.

John, what was the story behind the original Hellshock series again?

Was it that Lee was writing that series based on his own life-events when he was in a mental hospital, or did he have a breakdown after finishing the first series and have to spend time in the mental hospital?

I really enjoyed the first series. The writing had some problems, but it was a good book, and one of the best books to come from early-Image without a doubt.

I didn't care for any of the other Hellshock stuff. It became too superheroey after the first series.

I still love those original covers so much.

I think your memory might be playing tricks on you there Christian as I'm pretty sure the first Hellshock series was more superhero-like than the second.

The first was about..um..a cop...who...was...er...it's all a bit of a blur...it was definetly more action-based than the second series which was about the relationship between a mental patient and his doctor.

In other news....DC Winter Previews, including first looks at Jeff Smith's Shazam and Mike Carey's God Save The Queen.

I read in CSN that Steve Rude talked Mike Baron into writing a new Nexus script. HUZZAH! Hopefully they don't try to over-explain who he is and what he's about. Too much of that could wreck it, as I felt it sort of did during the Dark Horse years. Oh joy! Nexus can whup just about anybody's ass. Name it.

I read in CSN that Steve Rude talked Mike Baron into writing a new Nexus script. HUZZAH! Hopefully they don't try to over-explain who he is and what he's about. Too much of that could wreck it, as I felt it sort of did during the Dark Horse years. Oh joy! Nexus can whup just about anybody's ass. Name it.

The Executioner lives! What it is!

I *heart* Nexus (While I agree that the Dark Horse stuff got a bit too convoluted at times, I do think Rude's art was never better than during the early DHC mini series like Alien Justice).

Steve Gerber's new project for DC has been announced. He will be writing the ongoing new Dr. Fate series this Spring.

hmm....Gerber isn't really known for writing mystical stories. Nevada was pretty trippy. He's always been more comfortable writing existential horror type stories, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Image is now saying Wonderlost issue 1, solicited for December 13, will ship January 24. It's a 64 page 'quarterly' anthology:

C.B. CEBULSKI shines the light on the romances of his past and shares some outrageous high school love stories! It's Fast Times at Ridgemont High meets Mean Girls as we're taken to bonfires, backseats and bedrooms in these touching and sometimes tragic tales.

Not to be confused with this trippy website: Wonderlost | The Alice Project.

It's hardly news that an Image title is shipping late, but it's a good excuse to get the title a bit of publicity here. :) I'm not involved with the comic, I just like the look of it.