JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer Trade Paperback Thread

"What Hellblazer collections are available and what do they contain ?"

This is far and away the most asked question I get about Hellblazer (yes, even more than "Who was that bloke at the end of Lapdogs & Englishmen...?").

This first post will be updated as new collections are solicited/published (last update : November 2008). If you hear anything about possible new collections or spot something on the likes of Amazon which points to a new trade, then please post about it here.

Right then, Hellblazer trade paperbacks that're currently available to buy -

Jamie Delano

Original Sins (Reprints Hellblazer #1-9)

The Devil You Know (Reprints Hellblazer #10-13, Annual #1, The Horrorist #1 & 2)

The Fear Machine (Reprints Hellblazer #14-22)

The Family Man (Reprints Hellblazer #23,24,28-33)

Garth Ennis

Dangerous Habits (Reprints Hellblazer #41-46)

Bloodlines (Reprints Hellblazer #48, #52-55, #59-61)

Fear And Loathing (Reprints Hellblazer #62-67)

Tainted Love (Reprints Hellblazer #68-71, Hellblazer Special #1, Vertigo Jam Hellblazer story)

Damnation's Flame (Reprints Hellblazer #72-77)

Rake At The Gates Of Hell (Reprints Hellblazer #78-83)

Son Of Man (Reprints Hellblazer #129-#133)

Warren Ellis

Haunted (Reprints Hellblazer #134-#139)

Setting Sun (Reprints Hellblazer #140-143)

Brian Azzarello

Hard Time (Reprints Hellblazer #146-150)

Good Intentions (Reprints Hellblazer #151-156)

Freezes Over (Reprints #157-163)

Highwater (Reprints Hellblazer #164-174)

Mike Carey

Red Sepulchre (Reprints Hellblazer #175-180)

Black Flowers (Reprints Hellblazer #181-186)

Staring At The Wall (Reprints Hellblazer #187-193)

Stations Of The Cross (Reprints Hellblazer #194-200)

Reasons To Be Cheerful (Reprints Hellblazer #201-206)

The Gift (Reprints Hellblazer #207-215)

Denise Mina

Empathy Is The Enemy (Reprints Hellblazer #216-222)

The Red Right Hand (Reprints Hellblazer #223-228)

Andy Diggle

Joyride (Reprints Hellblazer #230-237)

The Laughing Magician (Reprints Hellblazer #238-242)

Movie Tie-Ins

Rare Cuts (Reprints Hellblazer #11, #25-26, #35, #56, #84)

Constantine - The Hellblazer Collection (Movie Adaptation, reprints Hellblazer #1, #27, #41)

Original Graphic Novel

All His Engines (OGN)

Coming Soon...

April 2009 - Chas: The Knowledge (Simon Oliver & Goran Sudzuka)

May 2009 - The Roots of Coincidence (reprints Hellblazer #243-249?, by Andy Diggle)

I assume the movie adaptation is still going to printed as a single issue...

or will it only be available in this 'the Hellblazer collection' tpb??

and I'm assuming it's in one of the forum threads already, but what story by Jimmy Palmotti is going to reprinted.

I know he inked a few Steve Dillon issues, but I can't recall any other story he has been involved with...

I'm failry certain his name wasn't mentioned for the adaptation... so is it a new story or a new framing sequence?

Maybe a subsection could be added for other trades where John appears? Or maybe just the ones where he plays a large role in the action (like the later Swamp Thing ones, the Books Of Magic mini, etc.)?

I mean, whenever someone asks me what they should read to get into Hellblazer, I always recommend the Books Of Magic mini (in addition to other books, of course). It's a good introduction to John, and the bit with him and the evil mystics at Bewitched is a great scene.

Maybe a subsection could be added for other trades where John appears?  Or maybe just the ones where he plays a large role in the action (like the later Swamp Thing ones, the Books Of Magic mini, etc.)?

I mean, whenever someone asks me what they should read to get into Hellblazer, I always recommend the Books Of Magic mini (in addition to other books, of course).  It's a good introduction to John, and the bit with him and the evil mystics at Bewitched is a great scene.

hmm, you're right about that, though I also think the Alan Moore Swamp Thing trades are a damn fine jump on point. bit more expensive though.

well, info about the trades is free, so who WANTS to get them, can decide for themselves...

Indeed, they are not... they are a few one-shot issues, a 2-parter called Mortal Clay, and Royal Blood 5-parter dealing with the blunders of british royal family and the great mystery of old Whitechapel killings...

ummm...

do you think DC will ever reprint 'Royal Blood', after all the problems Marvel had with that princess Di issue of one of the 'X' books (written by Pete Milligan I believe)...

Marvel only got grief over that because a certain English rumour-monger went out of his way to kick-up-a-fuss through the tabloids. I reckon they could get away with publishing Royal Blood, and why the don't when they're trading up sub-par Ennis works like Adventures In The Rigle Brigade is beyond me.

Guest spiderlegs

So, did most of you guys like "Royal Blood"? I thought it was quite entertaining.

So, did most of you guys like "Royal Blood"? I thought it was quite entertaining.

Yeah I really enjoyed the Royal Blood story arc. I have friends who tend to read my TPB's (I don't trust them with my actual comics) and I KNOW I could get them hooked on HB if Royal Blood was in TP format.

from what I recall, it was a great story...

I think it was one of the few times when Will Simpson inked his own work and it gave it a more 'gritty'(?) look...

and I think it was from this story onwards that Glenn Fabry started providing the covers...

maybe they'll reprint it when the Preacher film comes out... with 'from the Creator of Preacher' sticker on it's cover...

Royal Blood was very good. James sent me some of the issues, and I managed to find the rest at a comic convention about four months ago. excellent.

Constantine : Rare Cuts.  Details are sketchier for this one but be do know that it will include a reprint of #11 as well as some (if not all) of the material originally printed in the Vertigo Secret Files : Hellblazer special.

I have a feeling it won't contain the Delano prose piece from the Secrect Files.

beats me - maybe because it'll be in the rrade with keanustantine, so the hooker angle is out of the queston? or because of Delano's misgivings with DC/vertigo?

I would think that having a prose piece in a trade that's otherwise fully illustrated might be distracting and DC would rather use the space to put something else in it. I would doubt it would have anything to do with Delano or the content or even the overwritten prose of the piece.

However I'm just guessing on the content of Rare Cuts. I hope it is in there.

They could chuck in one of the Winter's Edge stories or something. Preferably that lovely Paul Jenkins one.

which one was Jenkins's?

i've read that one illustrated by Dillon's brother, but i thought that one was by Garth Ennis? And there was that Dave Gibbons bit.... but i haven't read no Jenkins story...

Jenkins was in the first Winter's Edge collection in 1998. Illustrated by Paul Pope it took place in New York when John was visiting Dani's family for the holidays. The majority of the piece was a conversation in a bar between John and a ghost who told him his life and death story. Basically it was a fictionalized account of recently passed on Vertigo editor Lou Stathis.

It was about 12 pages long. I could scan the pages and email them to you if you can't get hold of it any other way. It is a great little tale well worth reading.