JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer Trade Paperback Thread

I dunno where to post....so this will do! I just read Dangerous Habits, and still have heaps of back issues of Claire's to read, but far out! Dangerous Habits is good. I think the epilogue issue is what sold it for me. It was wonderful, in a sad kind of way. It told me more about John than I knew. And you know something is good when you just wanna play God fromt he outside of the comic and make the characters do somethign else. Like in your head just going "oh come on John!!! Don't do that!!! Oh come on John, just TELL chas what happened!" or whatever :D I'll be honest, the whole Chas background is probably the part I know the least about, but that should change soon! :D

I actually came close to tears after John ran out into the rain at the end of the last. Sad stuff!

Just to toss this out to anyone who's interested:

Comic Book Binding

Mr. Banks has been binding comics into hardcover collections, usually charging about 60 bucks a book. I've recently had one book done up and it looks absolutely spectacular. Though my next book is a collection of the entire HELLSTORM: PRINCE OF LIES series by Marvel, I plan on getting the Jenkins HELLBLAZER run done up as two nice hardbacks. It's a great way to bookshelf a run of issues that, judging by DC's ignoring of Paul Jenkins and Jamie Delano, will probably never see the light of day in trade paperback form.

I completely missed that Red Sepulchre was coming out. I'll order it at the end of the month after pay day. I haven't read any of the recent monthly titles so this looks a good place to start.

In the last couple of weeks I've taken a break from reading Paradise Lost slowly (just got past the war in Heaven and Satan's fall and now we're up to the Creation) and read The Watchmen since I've heard so many things about it. Excellent story, I thought. I was waiting and waiting for the link between the Black Freighter story and the rest of the plot to come and when it did I almost started clapping, I was that impressed.

Anyway, Red Sepulchre, I'm going to buy it.

That book binding operation looks pretty cool and very convenient, but I love to keep my comics as is because they're much easier to scan :biggrin:

Anyway I've collected all of Paul Jenkins' run, except for #128 argh, and am growing more curious as to why DC won't put his run into TPBs. I don't believe it has anything to do with quality since the general opinion (not mine though!) of Azzarello's run is a bit low and his run is in TPB format.... Is it that Jenkins' run is too old that it's too late to put his into TPB? I guess the same would apply to Delano too... Oh well, I'm totally enjoying Jenkins!

I can't understand why they haven't traded Jenkins' run. I haven't read them all, but I do like his writing. It's not the best, but I'm quite into his stories, and yes, I consider them much better than Azzsarello's stuff. (Which I just can't get into.) It seems a bit barking to have all these missing chunks, especially the Delano stuff, which just comes to a halt and dissapears.

The Original Sins trade sold very badly, so DC decided not to trade any more of Delano's run. Simple as that, really. Paul Jenkins hasn't written anything which has caught the market's attention lately, either, so his name would be unlikely to sell trades collecting issues from nearly a decade ago, sadly. It really is that simple - more Delano/Jenkins trades would sell very well to existing Hellblazer readers, but probably not to anyone else in any great quantities, and there just aren't enough of us to justify it commercially. Brian Azzarello, whatever long-term HB fans may think of his run, is a top-selling, high profile writer, and his HB trades consequently sold by the bucketload to people who'd never read Hellblazer before. Sucks, but what can you do?

Plus, from what I've heard, H.B. sells were abysmal when Jenkins was the monthly writer.

So, it has nothing to do with quality, so much as Vertigo not wanting to risk it based on original sales figures.

Why did H.B. sales drops when Jenkins was writing? Not sure. Jenkins was a virtual unknown at the time he wrote H.B. though, which could very well be the answer.

The time when Vertigo should have cashed in on Jenkins name was when he was at Marvel. "Origin", "Inhumans", his run on "Spider Man"....those were all hot books or widely recommended books.

Since then, Jenkins has faded into the background again. Writing a low-selling Batman mini-series at DC, and coming up a Vatican murder mystery from Dark Horse that is going to sell about 3 copies..... :icon_frown:

The Original Sins trade sold very badly, so DC decided not to trade any more of Delano's run. Simple as that, really. Paul Jenkins hasn't written anything which has caught the market's attention lately, either, so his name would be unlikely to sell trades collecting issues from nearly a decade ago, sadly. It really is that simple - more Delano/Jenkins trades would sell very well to existing Hellblazer readers, but probably not to anyone else in any great quantities, and there just aren't enough of us to justify it commercially. Brian Azzarello, whatever long-term HB fans may think of his run, is a top-selling, high profile writer, and his HB trades consequently sold by the bucketload to people who'd never read Hellblazer before. Sucks, but what can you do?

I wish Sleeper had been more succesful, then the Jenkins run might have been collected due to Sean Phillips' artwork (it's a shame that only one lousy issue featuring his artwork has been traded so far).

Just a question to Christian, why not so big on the Fear and Loathing-love? Sure, the racist angle may have ben a bit two-dimensional, and there wasn't much meat in most of the subplots, but John setting up the Snob for the fall was brilliant.

Plus, John and his chainsaw. :biggrin:

I believe someone on the boards already outlined my problem:

A.)Two dimensional rascist bastards as villains, as you just said +

B.)Plus, over-the-top Ennis gore and violence to pad out the plot (such as it was)

Voila= Ennis phones it in, by the numbers!

Yeah, the John manipulating Gabriel parts were good; but it can't save what was a lacklustre plot whose only value was setting up future, better Ennis stories.

Wow. I agree totally with Christian about this. See? It does happen occasionally...;)

Hi, Im a newbie to the board, but I've been reading through the Hellblazer Trades these past few months and immensely enjoying them. Got Original Sins in Feb and as of Jun, I have just finished Good Intentions. I can only echo the sentiments of those who like Dangerous Habits as that is my favourite of all of them.

I liked Original Sins but didnt like the abrupt ending, shall I assume its issue no. 10 that resolves this as the whole Newcastle incident is no. 11 in Rare Cuts I think..to eBay I go for that I spose...

Rake at the Gates of Hell was an enjoyable resolution to the whole deal between John and the First, but I kinda hoped they wouldnt do away with such a good character permanently...

Son of Man was an enjoyable dark twisted tale of depravity, the quasi-superman John as rendered by Higgins was not good, Constantine doesnt strike me as vain enough to have that kinda body...

Setting Sun/Haunted - hmm, preferred Haunted overall, a pretty apt description for the kinda atmosphere of loss that I think Ellis effectively constructs...Setting Sun had its moments, but I hate shelling out money for trades that are that thin..

Hard Time/Good Intentions - I dont detect a lot of love for the work of Azzarello in this thread but I think these definately have their moments! I think there's a good grasp of character here in how he handles John, but the stories themselves are underdeveloped and needed a stronger resolution. I loved Frusin's rendering of John in Good Intentions especially..

Mmm, Freezes Over is next in line, is it any good?

Oh, and I dont know whether anyone here visits wikipedia, but I updated the Hellblazer page on there recently with a chronological list of the trades, no doubt I've done some mistakes somewhere, so please check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellblazer

I don't think I'm seriously ruining anything for you when I tell you that the First of the Fallen turns out to have only been MOSTLY dead. His actual resurrection takes place during Paul Jenkins' run, though, which is unavailable in trades. I respectfully-but-firmly disagree with your assessment of him as a "good character", mind...

The ending of the Original Sins trade is a bit shit, isn't it? The problem is, that story was continued in a crossover with Swamp Thing - if you can track down a copy of HB #10, though, you'll at least get a satisfying-enough conclusion, without missing anything of vital significance.

Freezes Over is excellent - the TPB collection contains the best of Azzarello's HB work, in my opinion. It includes an underwhelming single-issue story, illustrated by Steve Dillon (which sets up a few things for later in the run, but doesn't do so particularly interestingly), but the 'Freezes Over' arc itself is tense, atmospheric and well-paced, and the 'Lapdogs and Englishmen' two-parter which concludes the book is also excellent. I hope you enjoy it.

Welcome to the boards!

Just something I read awhile back, regarding Ellis' collection of supporting characters. Map was pretty cool, but Watford gets my vote for the best. He was a vicious prick, and the kinda guy John would want in his pocket.

Well as a nemesis to John, I think he is a good character, although as he appears to be easily outdone by JC, I would agree with you in that respect. I would say that he is also a bit more fleshed out a character than say the rather two-dimensional racists of Fear and Loathing (if I recall correctly). Also I wouldnt think such almighty evil would be so physically vulnerable, but thats just my view...

Well the rivalry between John and Fthe First kept me hooked onto the trades anyway, when I was wondering whether I should spend any more of my student loan on comic books :)

Who do you think has been the most effective of JC's enemies? I can only choose so many having read the trades only.

...think Im gonna hunt down No. 10 if the chances of it gettin into a trade are slim...

See....the thing about "Hellblazer" is it has never been about the enemies, because John isn't a fighter. Usually the villain characters only make one appearance.

You know, when you say "X-Men", you go, "Oh! Magneto is their most potent enemy!" or Dr. Doom with F.F. and so on.....

But, with "Hellblazer", besides the First and Nergal, the enemies don't really stick in your mind, because they're not omnipresent, appearing in every Anniversary issue for the big battle....and there are no Supervillain types around.

There's always the villain from "Haunted", but John just fucks him up so badly every time he shows up, he's hardly effective.

I mean, how much of an enemy can you even consider the other recurring "villain" types such as Ellie or Demon John? Besides "How to Play with Fire" and the current Carey story-arc, neither one has really ever "confronted" John, as such.

Sure, I'd say having the Devil as your personal enemy would be the best summation of John's greatest enemy....but with H.B., it usually comes down to stories about "how is John, as a human, going to overcome this?" The character moments stick in your mind much more than the evil villains.

Oh, I just don't like the First because he's such a one-dimensional, cliched version of a 'Powerful Arch-nemesis' character. One of the most tedious, uninspired and boring renditions of the Devil I can think of, to be honest. He played a fair enough role in Dangerous Habits, but that story didn't require him to be a fleshed-out character. As soon as he came back, his limitations became all too obvious. Ennis' strengths as a writer (which are admittedly manifold, despite my occasionally-voiced scepticism about both his Hellblazer and Preacher), have never really included the convincing depiction of fleshed-out villains, as far as I can recall - his antagonists tend to be cartoonish stereotypes. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it doesn't - it depends on the story at hand ('Son Of Man' would be a good example of one-dimensional villains working well in the context and tone of the story at hand).

But lots of people disagree with me, on just about every point I've just made. So you should probably take it with a large pinch of salt.

As for the most effective of John's enemies - I assume you mean 'most effective against Constantine' rather than 'most dramatically-compelling'. It's hard to say, as there really haven't been many to have recurred long-term. It's a toss-up between the First and Nergal, I'd say - I'm inclined towards the latter, partly because I prefer him as a character, and partly because the First never inflicted a defeat on Constantine as significant as the one Nergal scored in Newcastle. But it's fairly academic, as Christian's point about the lack of major enemies in Hellblazer is a very good one.

Points well taken, but I thought the First's own pondering about his place in the grand scheme of things perhaps elevated him above typical representations of ultimate evil, and JC's answer to it was quite entertaining...

And yeah, I'd agree that enemies are not exactly abundant in HB nor is their presence necessarily the central focus, but I like a good conflict...

<random whining>

Can I just mention (again) that I still *really* want a Paul Jenkins trade?

I know there never will be any (unless by some freak coincidence Hellblazer catches the eye of, say, a major literary trendsetting kind of person who'll promote it so effectively that having a complete Hellblazer collection on your bookshelf will be the definition of being 'cool' and sales of the trades will skyrocket and Vertigo will throw everything it still has in its vaults on the market - one can dream, right? ;-))... but I just need to whine about it occasionally. Not that it helps much. But...

Gahhhhhh... *frustrated*

Thanks. ;-)

</random whining>

You are not alone in your whining, I whined about a page back in the thread or so :biggrin: I've got extras from Jenkins' run if you want them, and I'm also willing to go treasure hunting at Comic Con for those who really want some Hellblazer comics.

Well, I just finished Rake, and in retrospective, I'm not too sure what to think of the Ennis run. Some truly brilliant moments, matched with some truly boring. In fact, the Rake arc was pretty underwhelming. However, the Kit story was truly excellent. All in all, Ennis' run wasn' what I was expecting. Ah well.

Ennis is a very patchy writer, it's just that when he's good (Dangerous Habits, the first Preacher book) he's fucking excellent, and he handles emotional relationships beautifully, but he has a tendancy for stupid, crummy stories too. I can remember reading 2000AD when hew was writing Dredd and some Strontium Dogs stuff, he wrote some really ace stuff, then some shoddy 1 parter taking the piss out of films and TV shows.

It's like in Son of Man there's some really funny lines, but some bits that make me cringe, they're so tacky.

He has a tendency to go way over-board! His "True Faith" story is actually funny....whereas, his "Rifle Brigade" mini-series reads like a 5th grader wrote it.

Plus, there's his tendency to use over-the-top, mindless violence to fill-in for actual plot and characterization.

When he tones himself down, he's one of the best comic writers though.

Finished Red Sepulchre earlier today. I'm not too sure what to exactly say about it so I think I'm gonna read it all again. The story to me seemed a bit filler IMO and I feel that Carey should have the narration based on John's POV, I always found it much better and compelling read.

It was fun seeing Map again, I hope he comes in later issues. He's a nice mystery guy and I like him like that. There's not much to him, yet he's not overly used that he he doesnt get tiresome.

What did you guys think of issues 175-180? I wanna know your opinions...