JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer Trade Paperback Thread

Just finished All His Engines.

Classic. :cool:

Mabey 'the' one to first show a friend whose only seen the movie?

Manko - Top. :biggrin:

Hi all me am new to this board so i thought i would add my tuppence abut the trade paperbacks.

Loved All His Engines one of the best HB stories in my humble opinion, Ennis run i feel was very patcy but i would still like to see the gap filled between Dangerous Habits and Fear and Loathing.

I demand that vertigo put out every single Delano story out on TPB

Forgot to mention Azzerello was and is SHITE. Careys better but the best HB writer is still Delano.

Whats the chances of some of the Paul Jenkins storys on TPB :smile:

Forgot to mention Azzerello was and is SHITE.

Got to argue with that...his Hellblazer was definitely more than a little sub-par, on the whole, but his Batman wasn't terrible, and 100 Bullets is one of the best comics out there. He's a limited writer, no doubt about that, but he's damn good at what he does.

Unfortunately, "what he does" didn't really include Hellblazer, with a few notable exceptions.

On the subjet of Azzarello, I picked up Freezes Over yesterday. A pretty good read, though now I'm disappointed that this was the best the Azz brought to the table. And, about Lapdogs and Englishmen, I know this question has been asked into the ground, but was the man at the end really never elaborated on? Because if so, that sucks.

but his Batman wasn't terrible

You, the resident Batmaniac, really think so? I personally hated the whole "the last thing i ever told my parents was that i hate them" - i almost expected that he'll use his Superman storyarc to show how Kal-el peed/shat on Martha and Jon Kent when they found him...

Oh, and welcome, Simon - you and our friend Christian have almost identical Hellblazer author tastes (and i'm not too far behind, either)...

On the subjet of Azzarello, I picked up Freezes Over yesterday. A pretty good read, though now I'm disappointed that this was the best the Azz brought to the table. And, about Lapdogs and Englishmen, I know this question has been asked into the ground, but was the man at the end really never elaborated on? Because if so, that sucks.

Nope, not elaborated on at all.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating - strip out the oracle book subplot and Lapdogs and Englishmen would make a really good single issue story.

Hmmm... how many 2-isue storylines does Hellblazer have, anyways? Macan's Ashes And Honey, Widdershins, Grant Morrison's two-parter... what else?

The Pub Where I Was Bored/Love Kills, Mortal Clay/Body & the Soul, Guys And Dolls, In The Line Of Fire, Lapdogs And Englishmen, High On Life, Black Flowers, Bred In The Bone, Out Of Season.

Just off the top of my head, like.

Oh, and I honestly don't think Azzarello's Batman story was terrible. Far from great, and the shoehorned-in 'Bruce's row with his parents' subplot didn't really work, but on the whole, it remains the best in-continuity Batman story of the past 3 years. Admittedly that's more a damning indictment of DC's recent Batman stories than it is a ringing endorsement of Azzarello's take on same, but as an assessment, I stand by it.

I demand that Guys And Girls and Out Of Season be disqualified, since they're obviously 3-parters, only someone forgot to label them as such :p

Speaking of Bat-books, I took several of your recommendations seriously, Mark, so i've read the entire Gotham Central series up to the latest issue, and listened to Shatner's "Has Been" album... and i loved them both! :D

What can i say - i found it funny and entertaining... well produced, too!

It's a damn good record. Leave out the amusing-but-undeniably-'novelty' cover of 'Common People' and I'd seriously argue that it's a straight-up excellent record. I'm not taking the piss, nor am I being ironic. It's good, people, and the song Rogan quoted above is genuinely touching.

Glad you enjoyed Gotham Central, by the way. Now you just need to dig out Rucka's stellar pre-'Furderer/Mugitive' run on Detective Comics...

Nah, I'll take my Shatner in the occasional screening of Star Trek II and other such endeavors..

meanwhile I got Red Sepulchre for £7 on eBay so I will no doubt be getting into that one soon...

Hi, Simon!

Yep, I'm the resident Delano worshipper. Nice to have a new member of our little cult!

I also wouldn't go so far to say that Azzarello sucks as a writer. His H.B. was underwhelming for the most part, except "Ashes and Dust" which did indeed SUCK!

But, he's written other comics that are quite enjoyable. Besides ones talked about his "El Diablo" mini for Vertigo was good. And, "Johnny Double" is one of my favourite Vertigo minis!

The Pub Where I Was Bored/Love Kills, Mortal Clay/Body & the Soul, Guys And Dolls, In The Line Of Fire, Lapdogs And Englishmen, High On Life, Black Flowers, Bred In The Bone, Out Of Season.

(Guys and Dolls was a three-parter)

Checking the title index, I can also see: Hunger/A Feast of Friends, Man's Work/Boy's Games, The Hanged Man/The Magus, Down All the Days/Rough Trade, Dreamtime/Dangerous Ground.

Guys and Dolls was indeed part of a 3-parter in reality, but it was technically published as a 2-parter, with the third part given a different name ('She's Buying A Stairway To Heaven'). As with 'Out Of Season', it was a peculiarly arsey technicality, though. So, yeah, you're right.

I read through Rake again today, and one question stuck out in my mind: what exactly was John's plan with the Snob? Was he going to use him to fight the First? Because it seems to me the Ruler of Hell would be more powerful than a disgraced angel who can barely dress himself properly. But I think I'm missing something here.

Gabriel is invincible so long as his heart remains protected and undamaged.

Of course, we know how that turned out...

Ah, I see. Then that leaves me wondering: if angels, so long as they have their hearts, are invincible, and the First is obviously not invincible, why didn't He just send a big group of angels down to Hell to give Satan a good kicking? Seems a good idea to me.

Guys and Dolls was indeed part of a 3-parter in reality, but it was technically published as a 2-parter, with the third part given a different name ('She's Buying A Stairway To Heaven'). As with 'Out Of Season', it was a peculiarly arsey technicality, though. So, yeah, you're right.

The issues all had individual names (Fallen Women/Nativity Infernal/She's Buying a Stairway to Heaven), but they were all part of the same story. Yes, "Stairway" doesn't have the "Guys and Dolls part 3" header, but I suspect that's more down to an editorial mix-up than actual design.

Whereas Ward 24 was solicited as a seperate story from Out of Season even if it was more of a prelude to that arc.