JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer Trade Paperback Thread

Hilde, I think Mike handled it pretty well, describing how he "got home", and alluding to the fact that he's "dead" without going into lengthy explanations about the hows and the whys.

Hope you get better, btw!

Okay, I just read Red Sepulchre and boy was that a jump up in quality. Very enjoyable read. I still like the artwork by Frusin, even if not everybody else does. Its seems a bit more restrained, a good thing as John Constantine The Joker was kinda getting repetitive...

Anyhow a good read all round and now for the first time in my readership of Hellblazer, I have to wait for the next TPB, or fork out the money for All His Engines. On eBay, I got a CD full of the first 60 issues of HB so I will finally get some proper conclusion to Original Sins at least...

Oh yes and one laugh out loud moment that got me giggling in JC's exchange with Watford over the phone...

JC: "Are you ready to play Inspector Fuckwit investigates?

Watford: "Constantine. Interpol have got you down as dead...If you're phoning for directions, move towards the light"

Anyhow a good read all round and now for the first time in my readership of Hellblazer, I have to wait for the next TPB, or fork out the money for All His Engines. On eBay, I got a CD full of the first 60 issues of HB so I will finally get some proper conclusion to Original Sins at least...

All His Engines is definitely worth the money, so that's what I'd recommend.

On a related note, don't let any mercenary fucker charge you money for illegally-downloaded comic scans - they're available to download for free from various sites, and if you drop me a PM I can give you a link. Otherwise, PM me your address and I may be able to send you a couple of CDs with some other back-issues which are otherwise unavailable...have you read any of Jenkins' run?

I have only read Hellblazer in trade form so probably not, and Im not too worried about the CD. It was fairly cheap and the seller had a load of good ratings for similar products.

...Im getting it more for the Delano run really, which appears to be sadly unappreciated in trade form but has met with praise on these boards. Does Jenkins run come under the first 60 issues?

Nope - he wrote issues #89-128.

I just figured I'd make the offer, because I got CDs containing all the untraded back issues I didn't already have sent to me free of charge by a generous member of these very boards, and it struck me as a decent thing to pass on.

JC: "Are you ready to play Inspector Fuckwit investigates?

Watford: "Constantine. Interpol have got you down as dead...If you're phoning for directions, move towards the light"

Yeah, that's my favourite bit of Hellblazer dialogue ever.

"Inspector Fuckwit Investigates" - it just leaps off the tongue!

Thanks Mark, you're a decent bloke when you're not arguing about the properties of microwaves in Batman Begins :p

...But the guy who's selling this CD to me also appears to be selling the next 60 backissues in a similar deal on CD so I'll see how this first lot turn out first.....

[

All His Engines is definitely worth the money, so that's what I'd recommend.

Absolutely right. I just got this off Amazon for 8 bucks, that's the way i recommend you go. but it would have been worth full admission price.

15,100 estimated sales for #209....I think the decent trade business is keeping this series alive. I seriously hope DC does an advertising push for Mina's run and not just wait for her eventual trade to sell well.

Hey, guys. Today I took my friends comic shopping and they had a lot of fun considering they're not really comic book readers, lol. But anywayz, I wanted to get Original Sins but the comic shop didn't have it so it was either Son of Man or Tainted Love for me becuz I didn't wanna get a Azzarello HB. I just want to ask what do you guys consider me to buy first between the two?

Well, Son Of Man gets my vote, primarily because it's a self-contained story, while Tainted Love is essentially a middle chapter in the larger story of Garth Ennis' run, and is probably only worth reading if you've already read Dangerous Habits and Fear and Loathing, and plan to continue into Damnation's Flame and Rake at the Gates of Hell.

Why don't you want to buy any of the Azzarello books, though? Honestly, if there isn't a specific reason, I'd say that Hard Time and (particularly) Freezes Over are actually better than either of the two you're considering.

I really dunno, I read the summaires for all the Azzarello HB books on this site and I have to that I'm not eager to buy any of his stuff right now. He bored the living sh*t outta me with his Superman and he confused the crap outta me with his Batman. I'm actually willing to read his 100 Bullets but I am very hesitant with his other work.

He bored the living sh*t outta me with his Superman and he confused the crap outta me with his Batman. I'm actually willing to read his 100 Bullets but I am very hesitant with his other work.

That's generally a pretty sensible policy (although, while I can see why his Superman run bored you, were you really confused by Broken City? I can think of a number of criticisms of that arc, many of which I made myself, but it didn't strike me as particularly hard to follow), but if you only want to try one of his Hellblazer books, Freezes Over is genuinely rather good. The trade also contains a two-parter set in London during John's punk-era youth, which is something of a favourite of a number of forum regulars, including myself.

Alright, Mark, I'll trust your judgement on this. Freezes Over it is. Lol, if I get hesitant in picking this up, I'm buying a Sandman book. :biggrin:

I'm not positive which issues are collected in "Tainted Love", but I know the great Kit leaves John story-line is included. It's my favourite Ennis story-line (besides Dangerous Habits), but unfortunately, it will also always be the H.B. story-line with the most potential that went so horribly, horribly untapped.

I'd say go with "Tainted Love", although Mark is right in that I'd wait, especially if I hadn't read "Fear and Loathing".

I don't like "Son of Man". It's just a throaway comedy story-line, with lots of over-the-top Ennisisms.

"Freezes Over" is a good read. Although, it really doesn't have much to do with "Hellblazer".

If you've read "Fear and Loathing", go with "Tainted Love"!

If not, I'd say go with "Freezes Over" also.

Sandman would be a massive improvement on any other book mentioned so far in this thread. So, if you're not definitely tied to buying Hellblazer, I'd go for that instead. :)

EDIT: Oh, and Christian? Tainted Love begins after that. It's the "John's time on the streets" story, and I agree with you - a frustratingly wasted opportunity, given what could have been one of the best arcs in the title's history.

Hey all... First post here. I spent the past year tearing through all of the Swamp Thing TPBs, and right on to Hellblazer. Now that I've collected all the Carey issues following his Red Sepulchre storyline, I probably won't get Black Flowers. While Carey's run is spectacular and epic, and should definitely be collected in trades, DC/Vertigo is KILLING ME with this unresolved cliffhanger crap!

Anyone who read the seventh volume of Swamp Thing, where Rick Veitch took over as writer, and Delano's work on Original Sins (I'm assuming everyone on this board) are probably in as much pain as I am. Each introduces about half of integral storylines and just cuts it off. I have no idea what Vertigo's trying to do... perhaps give me an ulcer? It seems everyone who's read the unpublished runs by quite a few authors of Hellblazer has something positive to say, just as many praise the remainder of Veitch's run on Swamp Thing and later writers such as Mark Millar's take on the elemental and his family.

I realize both Veitch and Delano ended their relationships with DC on bad terms, but denying the selling power of their books to fans of both JC and his green friend is just foolish.

This is a long first post. I'll cut it off here. Pleased to meet everyone and if anyone has info about scanned copies of either uncollected Swamp Thing or Hellblazer material , please let me know. Thanks!

Veitch is actually on relatively good terms with DC again.

And, Delano's problems with DC really have nothing to do with the decision of DC not to Trade the rest of his H.B. run. It's more the opposite, the fact that DC overlooks Delano's work due to economic concerns was part of the reason that led to Delano leaving DC on bad terms.

I think DC will eventually get around to Trading more of Veitch's run on S.T. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for anymore issues of Delano's H.B.

This is the first i've heard about Delano having problems with DC. What are they? do they stem from the cancelling of Outlaw Nation?

That's another part of his problem. I think he was just more depressed than upset with DC about "Outlaw Nation" getting cancelled, but add that to the fact that DC never collects any of his work into TPB, usually citing economic concerns. "2020 Visions" was the one story that he was most upset that DC never collected. He owns the right to that book and has sold it to an indy publisher who is willing to collect it into Trade.

His biggest problem with DC stems from their attitude after Sept. 11th, 2001, where they dictated what sort of stories could or could not be written involving subjects like terrorism, buildings getting blown up, American foreign policy.

Delano just came to the decision that DC is very stifling creatively. A decision that Alan Moore came to years ago, and that Rick Veitch came to for a while but seemed to forget.

It's not that "DC & Delano are angry at each other" is appropriate. I think it's more of a matter that DC doesn't seem to respect Delano and that Delano just came to the conclusion that DC is not the place for him to be working.

Which is a damn shame, been getting acquainted with the work of Mr Delano lately, got a CD off someone on eBay who has put the first 65 issues to disc (and I think the next 65 issues too) and whilst Im unsure about the artwork, its very hard to put down the writing, apart from maybe one or two tales....

Finally, the bookstore (yes, bookstore - the comic store didnt have any) had some HB! I got the three that they were carrying - Setting Sun, Freezes Over, and Highwater!

(and I also moseyed over to the comic store ang got #210 - something about where the dead men go? I am not very good with titles)

I can tell that I am not be able to read the others in any order you want because I am on a "HB as available" basis with the store. Unfortunately, my bro cant be bothered to buy because I want to get those recommended by John before but these are simply out-of-stock here still, despite the new deliveries.

It wont matter very much, right? I mean I can always drop some questions in this site, right?

"Setting Sun" is self-contained. You should have no problem with it.

"Freezes Over" is pretty self-contained. You'll probably be able to enjoy it just fine without any back-story.

"Highwater" you will have no idea what is going on without reading all of Azzarello's run, even then you'll probably be going, "what the hell?!". It's the worst H.B. Trade.

Issue #210 is part (something) of the story-arc "Down in the Ground, Where the Dead Men Go". It is a chapter in a larger story-arc, so you'll probably be lost on what is going on in #210 without reading the other chapters of this story-arc.

I'd get it IF and WHEN I can find it - but anyone like to do a fast recap for me? That way I wont wait too long... and would make my enjoyment better ....