JohnMcMahon

The Hellblazer Trade Paperback Thread

i thought that there was supposed to be one arc, or something, that would have tied all the single isue "cases" from the Setting Sun trade

Possible, I suppose - I just hadn't heard about it. Still, as it stands the later Ellis issues are definitely lacking in narrative drive...

I put it down to the art at the time, but I found it really difficult get into Warren's run. It seemed like it had all the ingredients for great Hellblazer, but it didn't quite gel to me.

>QUOTE (andy):

>Honestly it was all the little things in "Haunted" that made the story for >me. The bits of the history of London, the scenes of random violence, the >backstories of the cannon fodder...the rest was just a basic revenge tale >that had been done before by Derek Raymond.

Summed up quite nicely.

I thought I would be glad when Az****llo took over, but c'est la vie.

Really liked the ending of Haunted myself, suitably nasty and very Constantine.

same here... I think it's a shame Carey reused Josh Wright, cause I'd preferred him to spend the rest of his miserable life walking the streets shitting himself...

I do wish Carey had done more with Wright...the way he wrote him, he really may as well just have been a new character with a general dislike of Constantine. It would have been interesting to see some more specific follow-up from 'Haunted' around his re-introduction. You know, incontinence pants, gibbering acid flashbacks, and the like ;). But seriously forks...

Nah, it was a cute reference for those in the know and didn't get in the way of the story for those that had never read Haunted.

Oh, I didn't object in any significant way to Carey's use of the character - as you say, it was a nice nod for long-term readers, and didn't get in the way of the story. I was glad to see him mentioned again at all, to be honest. I just reckon there's still a bit more that could have been done with the character. Carey's better than anyone on the title so far at using pre-established characters for my money (it's one of his major strengths as a HB scribe), so I wasn't actually having a go at him.

actually, that guy's name is "No. 1" (as in #1)

and he's the leader of the world's greatest secret agewnt organisation, the T.N.T. Group

that picture of Gary Oldman's character from Hannibal is rather like what Arseface should look like if Warner ever makes a Preacher adaptation (rated PG 13 for language, brief nudity, fantasy violence and one drug reference).

I finally bought "Setting Sun." Lots of good 1 issue stories. I love Ellis' dialogue, it just feels right.

Thanks to all for the recommendation. You have not steared my wrong yet.

I read 'Tainted Love' last night. I'm glad I'm reading these in order and that I read 'Original Sins' first. I want to keep going at least up to 'Rake at the Gates of Hell' and see how I feel about carrying on after that.

Still liking it then Double?

Yes. For instance I liked the way that I couldn't at first see what the story in 'Finest Hour' had to do with what was happening to John, but once I worked out the connection I got that 'Oh, so that's what it is' feeling that I like when I read something that makes me think a bit.

I'm not sure if I can cope with many more stories involving sharp objects being stuck into orifices where they don't belong, though. I read a horror story once which involved a Bishop's crook and that gave me nightmares for weeks. :blink:

uh-oh... there's a nice little story involving a peadophiliac priest, a razor and young John Constantine that would be right up your alley... ;)

Heh, yes, that's the one. I managed most of the story OK, its the trick at the end with the pencils that really made me feel queasy.